Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should I ask for?
$700 741.18%
$600 317.65%
$500 211.76%
$400 211.76%
Return the lens. This is too serious a problem to ignore. (explain) 317.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Repair cost plus $250 for pain & suffering (with which you'll throw a bash for all those who've contributed to this thread ;~)

09-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax can probably repair this. Get a quote and ask for that much.
I'm with Adam on this; his advice is good. At worst I'd ask to split the repair cost 50/50 as I don't think it will be all that much. The part is replaceable. It's not special to the 200 macro. At worst you can cannibalize a used FA prime or cheap FA zoom (like a FA80-320).

The fix is relatively cheap. If you send it back for a full refund the seller will probably just get it fixed this way and tack on the cost to the price of the lens when he resells it again. That's what I would do if I were the seller.

In the end it's your decision but keep in mind that if you ask for a partial refund in the hundreds of dollars the seller may balk because the repair cost will probably be much less. If you think it was an honest mistake (and it seems that way from what you've described), then I'd offer a fair way to fix the mistake.
09-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Getting it repaired and cost recovery are two separate agendas.

The first is something you are sourcing because you still want the lens.

The latter is where it gets interesting because it was misrepresented, and the flaw is (painfully) obvious.

If you paid via eBay and PayPal then you should seek compensation through their services because you and the seller have binding contracts there as to recourse. Triple check those options before going down the path towards compensation or discussions about return etc.

If you have a repair quote you're on solid ground because you've done your diligence and are seeking solely to mitigate the misrepresentation. If you're simply looking for a better deal due to perceived lower value, then you may not be on solid contractual ground and a return may be seller's option, not yours.

Check your contract because that alone will adjudicate your rights so your are properly indemnified. Negotiate outside the contract and your recourse may be limited.

Good luck.
09-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax can probably repair this. Get a quote and ask for that much.
I will try to eek something out of them, I was able to finally reach a live body with a previous experience, but it took 4 phone calls and several pleas, and even then they simply told me "this type of repair cost xxx the last time we did one."

09-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
If you send it back for a full refund the seller will probably just get it fixed this way and tack on the cost to the price of the lens when he resells it again. That's what I would do if I were the seller.

In the end it's your decision but keep in mind that if you ask for a partial refund in the hundreds of dollars the seller may balk because the repair cost will probably be much less. If you think it was an honest mistake (and it seems that way from what you've described), then I'd offer a fair way to fix the mistake.
It's worth noting one of the statements in the auction was that the lens had just been through Pentax JP to have anything damaged repaired. The seller has also commented that if the lens came back from Pentax JP with this not repaired, it may not be repairable.
09-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Getting it repaired and cost recovery are two separate agendas.
You are correct. If I can get it repaired easily and quickly, I'd just like to recoup the cost for the repair.

If the parts are simply not available, my next concern is if I were to ever sell the lens, I would have to take a loss due to the damage.
09-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
It's worth noting one of the statements in the auction was that the lens had just been through Pentax JP to have anything damaged repaired. The seller has also commented that if the lens came back from Pentax JP with this not repaired, it may not be repairable.
It would floor me if you can't just cannibalize another FA lens for parts. Depending on how you define it this isn't technically a "repair".

Do keep in mind that the typical fleaBay contract just lets you return the lens for refund if it isn't as described. This was pointed out by Aristophanes. So asking the seller to pay the cost of "repairs" (replacement part) is a reasonable request but he/she doesn't have to go along with it.

If it were me I'd keep it. You've read my review where I describe how this macro can capture scars on a tiny ladybug's shell even when coupled with a teleconverter. It's a rare lens that has this amount of resolution and sharpness.

Last edited by tranq78; 09-17-2011 at 11:20 AM.
09-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #38
Site Supporter

The tab doesn't appear replaceable. It's cast into the inner flocked ring section of the barrel. Because it is designed as a thin shield, it's a bit flexible to the touch.

Because the damage doesn't affect image quality it's value is still nearly the same for usability. This is the type of lens that is handled carefully regardless of the missing tab so it doesn't change day to day use.

Collectible value drops significantly from an incurable flaw like this. I checked a few other FA* lenses from that era and they all have unique inner lens barrels (with the tab) so there probably aren't many replacements in old parts bins for servicing this one rare lens.

If the modified tab was intentional and makes it so the lens fits on Canon, Leica, Nikon or whatever, then the user value goes up a notch even as the collector value goes down.

Certainly this lens has lots of collector value and rarity whether "nicked" or not. But to me, the biggest value of this lens is the quality of the images and the user experience. Perhaps the user value gets overlooked a bit in relation to the rarity? This lens has rather lofty optical design and shoots tremendous images. It has 2 ED elements, 1 abnormal-dispersion element and 1 high-refraction element. Just like owners of Limited series lenses enjoy the experience of shooting through an optic that produces world-class results, for me the reason to own the FA*Macro is for the stellar and stunning optical result. You know, the "pixie dust" colors and "3-D effect" and "wide open performance" and "controlled diffration when stopped down" and all those other desireable highlights that separate the very best from everything else.

You are fortunate, you have an FA*200 Macro in your kit! When negotiating with the seller, he could always refuse the $700 to $1000 discount and insist on $100 discount or return the lens. Think through what you would choose to do in such a situation. I believe you got the lens at about market value, though they can go much higher than yours (when the buyer just plain has to have one).

If you are likely to keep the lens to use it for the next few decades, then the collector value isn't as important as the user value. Get the best discount you can and enjoy the experience of shooting through this killer!

If you anticipate a sale within the next 10 years or intend to assemble a museum quality mint condition collection. Send the lens back and work to find another (expect a several year wait to find one).

There is a great and rare accessory for this lens--the T132 Close-Up lens. It's the telephoto version of a Pentax 67 system multi-element "pro" close up lens. Gains another 15% magnification above 1:1 which isn't a lot, but it's significant. Probably only cost you about $50 if you can find one.

09-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Ron Boggs, what are your thoughts? I paid almost exactly what the last one of these that sold at auction cost, and that one was in pristine condition; that is the only baseline I have to go off of. In my shoes, what would the seller need to do for you to make you happy enough to give them 5 stars?
09-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I will take a $500 partial refund and use it on a canon 1D/5D body.
looks like the lens is Canon FF body ready.
09-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #41

A friend of mine has shipped in Japan
the Pentax FA * 80-200 its lens.
is returned as new, but has spent 700
09-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the lack of replacement parts, I would try to at least get a picture of an intact mount, and then find the best custom machine shop in the SLC area that does prototypes. Go to your camera / repair shop and ask if they could remove the rear mount, take it to the machine shop to get it duplicated (+/- 1000 of an inch) with the guard, and then put it on and test it. If the IQ is at all off, you can always put the original back on. I think that will probably cost at least $500 (given the quantity of 1, setup time and the expertise of the master machinist). I too, am guessing that the person you purchased it from, shoots Canon.

Given its rarity and IQ, I can understand the premium price, however - it should come with all of its parts intact. First wanting to keep the lens, but I am with Aristophanes in terms of getting satisfaction for this lack of disclosure, without returning the lens.

09-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Hey Clint,

I would push for the best discount I could get and keep the lens. That's easy to say from a guy who only paid $1300 to buy mine when they were first released.

Lots of folks still want to entertain the idea that it's repairable...Pentax Japan couldn't do it. Look in the back end of any FA* lens and examine the tab and you'll see this isn't something that can be machined locally without completely disassembling the lens, including messing with elements. And then you still don't have the original to "mirror" for a repair. It isn't a part that fits into a specific groove in the camera or anything, it's just a piece of flashing...the hard part would be machining the inner lens barrel that is part of this tab...still need to flock it nicely then...I'm not convinced that the cosmetics of the fix wouldn't be worse than the cosmetics of the "removed" tab. So you would risk realigning the elements perfectly, risk machining a perfect fit for the part itself, and in the end would likely have a less perfect lens both for construction and for cosmetics. Leave the lens as it is and work out the value question.

Most copies of this lens don't get sold via ebay or even forums. I'm aware of sales from good friend to good friend for as high as $4500 for a great condition copy. I think the highest I've ever heard rumored was $5300 for a mint copy. Insane? Yes...but if you want the finest macro you can connect to a Pentax DSLR body (and possibly any body), then this is the lens.

Try to beat the seller down for $700 and settle for $400-$500 discount. Then go out and shoot like mad...you'll never regret it!

Attached a little jpeg with no sharpening or other post procession other than resize...that's what this lens does with sharpness, colors, contrast...plus it's fun to shoot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo