Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should I ask for?
$700 741.18%
$600 317.65%
$500 211.76%
$400 211.76%
Return the lens. This is too serious a problem to ignore. (explain) 317.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* 200/4 Macro with removed aperture lever shield. What should I ask for?

I recently acquired the FA* 200 macro that was on ebay. It was a bit of a premium ($3740 shipped), but it's one of the last few lenses on my LBA list so after 9 months of searching, I jumped at it.

The good news is the lens is simply amazing, the glass is spotless except for a smidge of dust inside, however the aperture lever shield has been removed. The aperture lever appears to be in perfect shape, and controls the aperture perfectly, just the shield appears to have been removed.

(Pictures included)

My question to all of you is, how much do you think this devalues the lens. I've looked into repair, and the news back was that there are no replacement parts for this lens available. How much do you think I should worry about the shield being gone?

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh as a note, the seller has already offered to let me return the lens, as this wasn't noted in the auction, and also hadn't been noticed by this seller, I just really don't want to.

Thanks for the help!
09-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If this was my lens (and it won't unless I win a lottery), I would simply level the rough lip left for the removal ... can be done on a lathe or a drill press with a grinding stone mounted so it doesn't look so darn unattractive. No idea about the discount, though ....

EDIT:
I'd go for $700 and work from there ...
09-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What does an undamaged copy of this usually sell for?
How much would you have bid had you known of the damage?
Do you think you would resell the lens, or is it a lifelong keeper?
Do you think you'll ever have a chance to get another?

09-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly the intrinsic, market value of the lens as a collectible is definitely decreased and in that regard warrants an honest adjustment as it will have a significantly bearing on future value.

I doubt there's much demand for it (at that price) as a utilitarian photographic tool today, but the lack of the protective flange would have little practical effect on its actual use with due regard for prudent use of a rear lens cap.

I'd be inclined to consider the number of times I'd be likely to use it as a necessary tool compared to the adjusted price differential. If it comes out to, say, $500 a shot I'd have to want it pretty bad to keep it.

H2
09-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The shield is there for protecting the level during instal/removal of the lens, so you being the careful lad you are should not have any real issue with it being gone, and as you say, optically its purfect. I would think in monetary terms, it would decrease the value buy 700 - 1000 for a real purist, but as you know, they are as rare as FA*200/f4 Marco lenses, (hang on, it is a FA*200/f4 Macro) so finding another would be the same difficultly, so swallowing the cost could be the only real alternative.

I would think a technical machine shop, may be able to graft a tab in there to fix it up????

Congrats (to an extent) on finding a copy of this lens Clinton.
09-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd keep it and demand a discount. Then when you get your second copy of this lens you can sell this one.
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would look hard at that black plastic insert and the insert for other FA lenses. There's a decent chance that you could remove te three tiny screws holding it in (ignore #4, near the aperture lever and screw #3, but under the center of the mount flange, not near the left side of it). Then replace with an insert from another lens that's of similar dimenstions and be happy. The part isn't that important but it could easily affect resale by 10%.

09-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #9

I just saw one on sale in PF for about $2200. That makes what you bought quite a bit over priced. I would return it.
09-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The one on PF is A version, not FA.
Due to the fact that this lens is so rare and you were looking for it for so long time I think you should keep the lens and request money compensation. Start with 700 USD and than see what the seller will tell.
The biggest question is – are you enjoying the lens. If so – definitely keep it.
Best regards,
Yuriy
09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ask for a $400.00 reduction in price and do what Just1MoreDave suggests; find a compatible lens to pull the plastic insert from and replace the damaged insert.
09-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

advice is ask for a discount. cost would be equivalent for a replacement part, service fee and shipping. just tell the seller that you would use that amount to cover your costs and trouble.
09-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm not keen on mutilating my lenses (and it appears that this was done by a Canonian), but the protective flange has no real purpose other than to protect the diaphragm lever. Also, the "damage" is invisible with the lens cap on or with the lens attached to the the camera. I would not mind a removed flange, but your mileage may vary...
09-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I would have thought the housing of any FA k mount would be the same. It seems to me it would be an achievable repair. I'd be thinking about buying the cheapest FA lens I could and swapping the mount to keep the highly sought after macro in pristine condition. I think $700 would be a fair discount to enable you to pay for a lens to swap mounts with and maybe even the cost of getting it done professionally.

I'm jealous of your lens
09-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

If it works, just use the lens. Does it lower the value? Yes, when you try to sell it. So get as much back as possible or don't bother and enjoy this gem.