Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PAYDAY!!! Did a little shopping...

I picked up 3 items today, 2 lenses and a flash.
  • Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF
  • Pentax smc P-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
  • Pentax AF360FGZ

That Sigma was $100, such a deal that I couldn't pass it up. It got pretty good user reviews and had some really good user pics taken with it. I am not sure if I am going to have to deal with any focal length multipliers or not not because I don't think it was made for digital, bu tit just works with it. I should be able to tell when I compare shots with the DA 50-200, either way no complaints.

09-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Payday:

Hay Budda;
You did real good. (no LBA there) (LOL) I'm sure you will find both lenses work well and render some very nice shots. I can't say enough good things about the DA 50-200mm i use this lens so much. and as you saw in some of my photos I've already posted this lens is sooooo sweet.
Have fun with them.
David
09-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks David, no LBA I promise, just new to the SLR scene and need to build up my lens count. I wanted to get some general leses under my belt to get a good idea of what focal length I am going to be using most. I do plan on focusing on macro work so that will be my next selection of lenses to buy.
09-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

PayDay!!!!

I know Budda, You can call it what you want but this is the way it starts out.

I would highly recomend the Pentax FA 100mm f4 macro lens for starts or the 200mm macro if you can afford it. the 100mm I saw about a month ago at a local delear Was an AF 100mm f4 macro for $179.00 used very nice lens and I would have gotten it if it weren't for the fact I needed a camera repair. I think he still has it, and I'll be going down that way tomarrow, so I think I'll stop in.

Now you got me doing it. (LOL) Oh well I can make more money next week. Any way look into a prime, say an FA, Af, M or A Pentax 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 you'll love the way that lens handles.
Good shooting.
Cheers: David

09-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Buddha

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I picked up 3 items today, 2 lenses and a flash.
  • Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF
  • Pentax smc P-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED
  • Pentax AF360FGZ

That Sigma was $100, such a deal that I couldn't pass it up. It got pretty good user reviews and had some really good user pics taken with it. I am not sure if I am going to have to deal with any focal length multipliers or not not because I don't think it was made for digital, bu tit just works with it. I should be able to tell when I compare shots with the DA 50-200, either way no complaints.
Don't get confused between focal length (FL) and field of view (FOV). The FL stays the same no matter you use it on a dSLR or 35mm SLR. It is the FOV that changes. For example, a 50mm lens will still be a 50mm lens when used on dSLR. However, the view you get thru the viewfinder will be equivalent to the view you get with a 75mm lens on a 35mm SLR (ie the 1.5x mutiplier or crop factor as some ppl call it).

BTW, congrats on your new lenses! I think I will be getting the DA50-200 next month too! Let us know how you go with the Simga 24-135. I have heard some ppl have focus issue with it. I have been eyeing the Tamron 24-135 for a while too, thinking of getting it for walk-around lens.

cheers
Kenny
09-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That Sigma was $100, such a deal that I couldn't pass it up.
I couldn't pass up the $100 deal from Cameta either -- however, I was a bit weary in purchasing it as it a lot of people have had problems with it on the DS (menu, function, etc. doesn't stay on). Luckily the copy I got didn't have any issues. I bought mine a couple days before a race event and it worked flawlessly throughout the day.

Some sample photos :

My small set of photos was used on the Official Ricardo Zonta website (the driver of the F1 car in the photo) too, so I was happy about that

Click here to see the images (works only in IE).
09-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW!! Thanks for posting the photos Toshi, they are great and the results make me very happy with my purchase.
09-16-2006, 12:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats on the purchases ;-)

I have been doing some shopping too.. Got a FA 50/1.4 and a DA14/2.8 yesterday..

LBA continues....

09-16-2006, 03:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

WOW!! Thanks for posting the photos Toshi, they are great and the results make me very happy with my purchase.
No problem, and thanks! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new glass - looking forward to seeing some photos with yours.