Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Looking For Lens

New to DSLR's, coming from a point and shoot that just wasn't enough. Ordered a K100D Super w/ the SMC DA 18-55 kit lens and a AF 360 flash, I also have a book coming to learn because I don't know much about cameras. Will be shooting a lot of action (boys play football and baseball) day and night . Looking for a lens recommendation ?

12-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buget? This crew (myself included), with our LBA, will have plenty of suggestions -- but it will help to know what kind of $$$ will make you wince.

Offhand, I'd say: as long and fast as you can go (assuming you don't just want "whole field" shots). On the budget end, I'd say the 135/2.5 is a good choice, if you can find one. I went for a Tak instead, because it's all I could find and was about half the price, but a) you can see the opinions are quite split and b) I'm guessing that the lights at a night game would be flaring all over the place on you.

So, how much are you willing to spend?
12-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heck it's christmas, Buy yourself a DA*50-135 f2.8. Should be long enough and fast enough for most indoor sports. If you want AF and a fast lens for sports right now in a new lens you are very limited. There are a few but no matter the brand of camera body or lens supplier. Long fast glass is very expensive and will generally run from $900 to $4000.00 and beyond. Older used lenses are around and some are fairly fast but they command a good resale price as well.

The 135mm range is decent for indoors and if you could get an SMC A Pentax 135mm f2.8 it should do the job well. It's manual focus but a decent lens and generally sells for under $200. The FA version will sell around $350-$450.

Btw have a look and vote on the following poll:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/15856-sigma-70...macro-hsm.html
12-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was hoping to keep in under $500.00 if possible.

12-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well then stick with MF Pentax primes like the 135mm. The others I mentioned will be much more than that and that wouldn't matter what brand you had. Fast long glass is more $$$
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
jro

Congratulations, you found the gaping hole in the present lens lineup on Pentax cameras!

The last two manual Tokina 70-200 f/2.8 lenses on ebay went for $250 (BIN) and $301. So you might be able to find one of those in your price range if you're going manual. Just don't outbid me on it!

Actually, you may want to see if you can add the standard Pentax 50-200 f/4-5.6 to your order. There's an additional $25 rebate on it when purchased with a camera kit and you can put it on ebay if you decide it doesn't fit your bill. It's where mine is going as soon as somebody releases an 80-200 f/2.8.
12-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have a PM Jr. Alspanky.
12-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

low cost alternative (but manual focus)

QuoteOriginally posted by jr. alspanky Quote
New to DSLR's, coming from a point and shoot that just wasn't enough. Ordered a K100D Super w/ the SMC DA 18-55 kit lens and a AF 360 flash, I also have a book coming to learn because I don't know much about cameras. Will be shooting a lot of action (boys play football and baseball) day and night . Looking for a lens recommendation ?
I'd look for the SMC 135 F2.5. It's a very good lens. Quite fast, and excellent contrast and color rendition. Everybody I know who owns one loves it. They are moderately common on the used market because of the manual nature of the lens. I'm pretty sure it would fit the bill for you unless you are married to getting a autofocus lens.
Here's a sample: I take mostly outside shots so I don't have any inside low light stuff for you, but it give you an idea on what it will do anyway.

Here are some reviews by members here and the specs.
Pentax Lens Review Database - 135mm F2.5

NaCl(one of my favorite lens)H2O