Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Auction = sniping. eBay's system encourages you to bid the price you think is fair. If you don't like sniping, buy from KEH.

09-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I can speak of what I've been seeing for the past 2-3 years here in Indonesia.

In the old days Pentax must have won quite a market share here. Spotmatics to MX is not hard to spot, M50/1.4 is a "peasant" lens, I bought 5 or 6 of these and keep 2 of the most shinning, because I have seen this lens a lot more than the M50/1.7 or even M50/2 on the used market. "Virgin" K mount lens are becoming harder and harder to get here.

In my area the 'going manual' fever is very widespread. Since like 75% are using *anon, and the fact that their bodies "eats just about any lens", it is obvious that the manual lens market is theirs. They would easily choose a K50/1.2 over their own FD counterpart, because of the adapter convenience rather than trouble themselves to wait for a 3-5 days for FD to EOS transplantation at local camera repair shops. I posted a thread about such thing. M50/14 is their easy prey. Local camera repair shops are even 'expanding' their limits now. M42/PK to Nikon mount transplants are becoming more and more successfully done. The problem of infinity is solved somehow, so here they comes.. those *ikonians whose a little short in fund to buy their expensive (manual) lenses.

But, you see, it is somehow a mixed feeling when you see a proud faced guy standing with a 5D hanging on his neck, with a little black lens with "SMC" inscribed.

Last edited by minahasa; 09-16-2011 at 12:30 PM.
09-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
A year or two ago i remember someone in some tread saying that we should buy up the old lenses we wanted soon, because they are going to become hard to find, and start going up in price.

I am experiencing that right now.
If they are getting so much dearer, why can't I get decent money for mine? Feels like I can barely get over half of what I paid for just about any of my photo gear less than 3 years ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And totally at odds with the sniper mentality of most eBayers.
I have been sniped twice recently where the sniper was so close to the end, the outbid notice came AFTER the notice that I hadn't won the item

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And sometimes sniping is appropriate.
THAT WAS YOU! I am going to come to your house and slit your throat with a specially sharpened ninja throwing Takumar lens cap.
09-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
[...] get ready to buy a NEX and grab a bunch of cheap cine lenses.
Heh, good luck with that Rico. Those have jumped in price more than M42 lenses! What used to sell for US$0.99 now go for hundreds, no kidding.

09-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
THAT WAS YOU! I am going to come to your house and slit your throat with a specially sharpened ninja throwing Takumar lens cap.
You'll have to get past my guard deer. Good luck.

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Heh, good luck with that Rico. Those have jumped in price more than M42 lenses! What used to sell for US$0.99 now go for hundreds, no kidding.
Darn, I waited too long. [/me looks despondent]
09-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

ebay's depressing nowadays. I caught the tail end of the "golden age" for pentax shooters lens wise, and from there everything sky rocketed :ugh:
09-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

..that's why many of us turned into part-time merchant these days.. (or is it because of..? )
09-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
Looks like an 8-element version to me, what makes you think its not?
I wasn't able to click on the vendio link till I got home and missed the last pic with the IR on my smart phone. I was basing it soley on the rear element, but the image is of the lens with the rear element retracted. The IR mark and rear element are the only definitive way to tell.

Last edited by Blue; 09-16-2011 at 03:40 PM.
09-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
A year or two ago i remember someone in some tread saying that we should buy up the old lenses we wanted soon, because they are going to become hard to find, and start going up in price.

I am experiencing that right now.

Not only are new Pentax users buying them up because there are great deals on some great glass, but even Canon video people are looking for some m42 glass. I know because I am doing that for work. We shoot video with a 7D at work, and I recently discovered the m42 to EOS adapter. Saw a Pentax 50mm mounted to a 5D and said... yes please. So I'm reading reviews of primes here in the database, and doing searches for them... those that I find are going for double what the average prices used to be. And even at that cost, the prices are so much lower than the new glass for any DSLR that these will continue to be popular and get rarer.

(I was in a local brick and mortar camera shop with my boss yesterday and he was pricing personal Nikon lenses. They want $800+ for what now? No wonder people are looking for the less expensive alternatives.)

I watched a 105mm Super Takumar f 2.8 SMC go for $212 last night on a popular auction site. I grabbed a non SMC version of the 105mm for just over $100, and felt lucky to get it at that.

The same goes for K-mount as well. The interwebz are littered with the old junk lenses now. A few short years ago I could easily find a Kiron-made Vivitar of every variety. Now I'm wading through promaster and Chinon and 5 star to find the gems. They are still out there, but expect to pay more for them. That's not to say that you can't still find tons of Pentax M 50mm f2.0s. But the f1.4s are much harder to find.

On the one hand it's great that these are being appreciated. On the other... I wish I could find great glass on the cheap somewhere besides getting lucky on craigslist.
Totally agree. The price for some of these old lenses is too much. 212 dollars on an auction for an old manual focus lens that might suffer element separation or fungus? I'd rather put that much money into a DFA 100mm WR. Or a Samyang MF. Or a newer F or FA series used lens.

Last edited by pz1fan; 09-16-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: changed
09-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Old lenses getting rare... and expensive...
Rare because RioRico has bought them all by now. Expensive because they're rare. Case solved.
09-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Rare because RioRico has bought them all by now. Expensive because they're rare. Case solved.
No, blame the guys on the MFL site who have hundreds, thousands, ZILLIONS of lenses. And my bro-in-law. Why, I don't yet even have a fraction of the Taks I want. And much of my glass says SEARS and cost US$6 each, average. Blame someone else. It's not my fault. [/me gropes for excuses]
09-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't think that people should forget about the 'new money' in China, Vietnam, India etc. I have seen the explosion of photography first hand here in Shanghai, where many people can afford the best there is, and others are just a rung or two down - where MF lenses can add IQ quality (or a way into photography for those less affluent) for not such a large outlay. You're looking at millions of users right there and I know for a fact that the local markets are full of MF lenses.

Last edited by Frogfish; 09-17-2011 at 07:13 AM.
09-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First of all, I found a page where somebody made the afford to monitor the prices of Pentax lens on eBay for the past: Foto Pentax ebay - a set on Flickr

Overall I think if there's Pentax written on the lens the price is no longer related to the quality. I often wonder how sellers come up with the prices for "buy now" auction - not only for old lenses. For example, in most cases a new DA 35 mm 2.4 is more expansive on eBay than on amazon.
IMO the important question with old lenses (like with every collector's item) is: what am I willing to pay for it? I'm under the impression that a lot of people bidding on ebay forget about this and pay unreasonable prices for average equipment. So far, I haven't won a single auction...
09-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #29
Pentaxian

While I have some older lenses myself (incl. some Takumars) and agree that they're real treasures build-wise and sometimes good IQ-wise, I think there's a lot of hype involved too. I think that after the glass had lost much of its value after the film SLR era, people realized they could buy them for just peanuts and still use on their new and shiny DSLRs. And that increasing popularity caused the used lens prices to rise continuosly until in my eyes it did not make sense any more. Lenses that were great finds at the low price aren't necessary that great for the hyped top price. After all, they lack AF which some don't find necessary, but most prefer. And their coatings may not be up to date any more.

Before you start flaming me, please wait until I manage to put on that flame-resistant cover.
09-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Before you start flaming me, please wait until I manage to put on that flame-resistant cover.
No flames are impending; you're quite right. It's the supply-demand-price fun, a classic case. Low demand for old stock drives down their prices, which increases demand, which reduces supply and raises prices, which reduces demand for old stock and spurs new production at lower prices, something like that. I still expect to see some factories churning out cheap m42's etc.