Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Can anyone offer any insight to my new lense problem?

I am having and issue with my SMC Pentax 28-70mm FA AL 1:4 there is a weird glare appearing in the images now. It didn't used to have that issue, I am wondering if the High humidity of the places I have been photographing has anything to do with it. I have attached two photos. One photo is of the lense, and the other is an image taken with the lense that shows the strange glares that have been appearing.

in the picture of the lene you can see the shape of next peice of glass in a reflection and before I couldn't see it I don't know what is causing it or how to fix it

Attached Images

09-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are using a filter, remove it.

The first image is pretty dark and can't really see it.

The second appears to be flare from shooting from a dark room into the bright window. You can see the shape of the window frame in it.
09-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Forum Member

I agree with SpecialK. You are almost assuredly getting a reflection off the front element of the lens, onto the back of the filter. This is quite common with filters that don't have excellent multicoating. Problem is some of the great filters out there seem to cost almost as much as the lenses they protect!
09-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also agree with specialK. The shooting conditions are really tough and filters can cause a lot of this.

The image is dark but I think I can see the edges of the filter

I did a quick test a few months ago and found really varried results with or I should say between different filters

Also humidity would not cause element delimitation but fungus, and fungus is hard to see in the images

09-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi

I bought the same model of lens with what seemed to be tiny moisture drops inside the front element, causing reflections.
It turned out to be silicone oil drops probably from the helicoid grease. Probably the lens was left in a hot place.
Not a big job to get at the elements but really tough to rid them of that oil !
With both caps removed and the blades open use a small flashlight ( preferably with a WEAK light . Too bright will not help to see any problems . )
Play the light around the back at different angles not straight through. If there is any problems this will show it.

Best results when using any lens unless there is a great danger from splashing is NO filters and a good lens hood. If a filter was designed into the lens formula
it would come with it !
09-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok, so if I remove the skylight filter, it remove the refelction of the window that I don't want? I wanted to take the photos from the other side of the room from in front of the windows but the director had everything facing the other way :/
09-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It may (and most likely will) remove the reflection. You could test by shooting a bright light source and seeing how much resulting "aura" you get.
09-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree too, the only other possibility might be reflection off the rear element (if it is flat) between the rear element and sensor....but I've only heard of that happening with old tamron adaptall 90mm macro lenses. Likely the filter, take it off, put it in a drawer and continue shooting, you won't miss it!

09-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I removed the filter and it cleared out the problem I was having