Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 30 f1.4 - HSM?

I am aware that the sigma 30 f1.4 was previously offered to pentax only without hsm.

the sigma website now offers HSM for pentax mount, yet the lens database here still doesn't reveal so.

are there any difference in price(i'd expect so?) and performance(more importantly) between the hsm and non-hsm version?

09-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax mount Sigma 30mm does not come in HSM.
09-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I just looked at the Sigma website and I don't see that it has HSM.
09-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
MrA

From memory, HSM is only on the latest sigma k-mount lenses (e.g. the new ultrawides) but not on the older ones such as the 30/1.4 20/1.8 etc

09-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ohyouloveme Quote
the sigma website now offers HSM for pentax mount, yet the lens database here still doesn't reveal so.
Care to provide a link? Both the Japan and US Sigma websites still don't have it listed as available in HSM for Pentax mount.

If the Sigma 30/1.4 is actually available in HSM, then I'd be quite interested, however, as far as I know, it is screw driven in K-mount.
09-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought one of these recently from B and H and it definitely didn't (doesn't) have HSM and it wasn't available at my time of purchase. I don't know that HSM would add much to lens, except to increase the price. The screw drive isn't particularly loud and it is pretty speedy.
09-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned one previously and the real clincher for me (in not keeping it) was that it didn't have HSM, or quick shift, and it was loud (okay, not everyone will agree, but I'm use to quiet lenses). So if it came out with HSM, thus eliminating all my things, I'd for sure buy one asap.

But yes, unfortunately it doesn't. Sigma's site can be a little difficult to decipher, but if you look over at the left column of the page it should have a little asterick that says that HSM is only available in Canon, Nikon (and sony?) mounts.

09-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I've owned one previously and the real clincher for me (in not keeping it) was that it didn't have HSM, or quick shift, and it was loud (okay, not everyone will agree, but I'm use to quiet lenses). So if it came out with HSM, thus eliminating all my things, I'd for sure buy one asap.

But yes, unfortunately it doesn't. Sigma's site can be a little difficult to decipher, but if you look over at the left column of the page it should have a little asterick that says that HSM is only available in Canon, Nikon (and sony?) mounts.
I have a 30/1.4 and would never consider lack ofHSM a deal breaker. Not bothered about HSM at all

Quick shift I admit would be good to have, but that's not a deal breaker either. It's a superb lens and I'd never sell mine
09-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In case of need, I use the ancestral Quick-Shift method anyway : press the lens release button with your right ring finger!
This way the AF coupling is disengaged, and you can focus as you wish.

This is also a valid method for Catch-In-Focus shots with an AF lens, by the way...
09-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
In case of need, I use the ancestral Quick-Shift method anyway : press the lens release button with your right ring finger!
This way the AF coupling is disengaged, and you can focus as you wish.

This is also a valid method for Catch-In-Focus shots with an AF lens, by the way...
You know, I've tried that but I found it to be too cumbersome and slow. When I'm going to get a shot, it's going to be quick in order to capture the action.
09-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really miss the quick shift a whole lot, although I admit, it would be nice to have it. The biggest knock on the lens for me is that the bokeh can be kind of harsh -- octagonal.

Obviously the FA limiteds don't have HSM or quick shift. If a lens is good enough, you can live with older technology on autofocus.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-19-2011 at 10:40 AM.
09-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote

I know this reply is a little late, but I just got my 30mm 1.4 and thought it was going to be HSM equipped. I checked out the side of the page like you said and saw that Pentax and Sony don't come with it.
I think the dealers need to be making this clear since their sites (Adorama anyway) state it is has HSM.
Anyway...
10-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
From memory, HSM is only on the latest sigma k-mount lenses (e.g. the new ultrawides) but not on the older ones such as the 30/1.4 20/1.8 etc
Yeah this is because the Pentax DSLRs at the time in question (K100D and older?) didn't support HSM, as it was before Pentax came out with their own SDM and so the cameras didn't have the necessary contacts.
10-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barron Quote
I know this reply is a little late, but I just got my 30mm 1.4 and thought it was going to be HSM equipped. I checked out the side of the page like you said and saw that Pentax and Sony don't come with it.
I think the dealers need to be making this clear since their sites (Adorama anyway) state it is has HSM.
Anyway...
I think I'd have to disagree with you on this one - the problem is Sigma isn't even clear on what they currently have on the market. They also don't have a history of discontinued items (at least not a full, conclusive list) showing lens lineage. The dealers really are left to fend for themselves on this one. When I bought the sigma 120-400mm early this year, it was transitioning from no OS to an OS version - multiple dealers had one or the other listed for sale - I had to call and confirm, only to find out the listing was incorrect (advertised the new version, had the old version). This was with 42nd st photo. The rep was great though, contacted sigma and found out the OS versions were coming that week, and I got it prior to prices being adjusted up (by about 20%). In the end that is what you've got to put up with from a 3rd party maker that runs the same lens down a line and slaps a half dozen different mounts on the back end (and does so at their own convenience, with the likes of Pentax and Sony picking up the scraps). Until they start shipping their goods with actual product numbers (for each variation) and providing the dealers with appropriate descriptions, it is all squarely on Sigma in my book.
10-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think I'd have to disagree with you on this one - the problem is Sigma isn't even clear on what they currently have on the market. They also don't have a history of discontinued items (at least not a full, conclusive list) showing lens lineage. The dealers really are left to fend for themselves on this one. When I bought the sigma 120-400mm early this year, it was transitioning from no OS to an OS version - multiple dealers had one or the other listed for sale - I had to call and confirm, only to find out the listing was incorrect (advertised the new version, had the old version). This was with 42nd st photo. The rep was great though, contacted sigma and found out the OS versions were coming that week, and I got it prior to prices being adjusted up (by about 20%). In the end that is what you've got to put up with from a 3rd party maker that runs the same lens down a line and slaps a half dozen different mounts on the back end (and does so at their own convenience, with the likes of Pentax and Sony picking up the scraps). Until they start shipping their goods with actual product numbers (for each variation) and providing the dealers with appropriate descriptions, it is all squarely on Sigma in my book.
That sounnds fine to me. But it will be Adorama that is going to take back the lens for not advertising it correctly. No big deal really.