Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ordered DA 18-250

Today, Amazon showed the new DA 18-250 in stock, so I ordered one for my wife to give me for Christmas. The Tamron version is a few bucks cheaper (and probably the same thing), but what the heck, I - I mean my wife - bought the Pentax variant.

Anyway, I'll post some examples . . . . but not until December 25th.

Jer

12-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Today, Amazon showed the new DA 18-250 in stock, so I ordered one for my wife to give me for Christmas. The Tamron version is a few bucks cheaper (and probably the same thing), but what the heck, I - I mean my wife - bought the Pentax variant.

Anyway, I'll post some examples . . . . but not until December 25th.

Jer
Hey Jer, reminds me of one Christmas we had when I was a kid. Instead of getting gifts for everybody else, everyone got just one gift...for themselves. I bought the whole family a new toboggan, my dad gave everyone a new radial arm saw, my mom gave everyone a new set of china. I've forgotten what my sibs got, but it was a GOOD Christmas.
Looking forward to seeing some new pics from it after "santa" delivers it.

NaCl(so what did the wife pick out for you to get her? )H2O
12-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #3

BTW, I ordered 18-250 a month ago and they had estimated delivery "December 25", but I got it last week, so I guess you'll see yours sooner.
12-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

look closely - amazon states 'in-stock ships within X days'... usually you will see it does not ship within X days but because you chose FREE shipping you THINK you're at their mercy - BS! If your item does not ship within their 'in-stock' garantee - you best get on the phone because premium shipments will take precedence and you might not see your new lens for ages.. I swear to this - been there, done that, and got the free next day red for it... You need to catch them early on though or, they'll simply cancel your order. I've had that grand experience as well...

12-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

I think he isn't getting it till 12/25 because his wife isn't going to give it to him until then, not because of the shipping. I could be wrong though.
12-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheWengler Quote
I think he isn't getting it till 12/25 because his wife isn't going to give it to him until then, not because of the shipping. I could be wrong though.
You're not wrong, my friend. She won't give it to me till then, even though it shipped today. I'll post some shots (on 12/25) when I get my hands on it.

Jer
12-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hey Jer, reminds me of one Christmas we had when I was a kid. Instead of getting gifts for everybody else, everyone got just one gift...for themselves. I bought the whole family a new toboggan, my dad gave everyone a new radial arm saw, my mom gave everyone a new set of china. I've forgotten what my sibs got, but it was a GOOD Christmas.
Looking forward to seeing some new pics from it after "santa" delivers it.

NaCl(so what did the wife pick out for you to get her? )H2O
She picked out a leather coat and a suitcase - already bought and hidden safely at my daughter's house. Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing with my new lens - although it's redundant or nearly so. I already own a DA 16-45 (which I regard as remarkably good) and a DA 50-200 (which I regard as a good travel lens), and I plan to keep both. I really don't need another lens, but - hey - it's Christmas and I ain't getting any younger.

Jer
12-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

what a NICE Christmas gift

I have the Tammy version of this lens, so I know you'll be in for a treat when you do get your hands on it. The only thing I would warn you about is that if you want to stack another filter on top of your UV filter (ie--a polarizer) and use the lens at the wide end, you will get vignetting. There's another post that deals with this very topic and suggests getting a larger filter and step-up ring. I've got a 72mm CPL that I didn't have a lens for, so I'm going to get a step-up (62-72) ring for it and try that.

Among the things that are on my Christmas wish list are the 35/2 and 50/1.4; I was hoping my husband would get me one of these, but he told me that he simply couldn't afford either one right now. He will be giving me $100 that I can put towards one of those lenses. I'm expecting to get some more money and the 35/2 is my first choice, so I know I will be at least 2/3 of the way to it. I've asked other family members for gift cards to B&H and Adorama, among other things, so I could possibly get even more towards it.

Christmas is only 2 weeks and 2 days away, so it'll be here before you know it. Hang in there.

Heather

12-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I have the Tammy version of this lens, so I know you'll be in for a treat when you do get your hands on it. The only thing I would warn you about is that if you want to stack another filter on top of your UV filter (ie--a polarizer) and use the lens at the wide end, you will get vignetting. There's another post that deals with this very topic and suggests getting a larger filter and step-up ring. I've got a 72mm CPL that I didn't have a lens for, so I'm going to get a step-up (62-72) ring for it and try that.

Among the things that are on my Christmas wish list are the 35/2 and 50/1.4; I was hoping my husband would get me one of these, but he told me that he simply couldn't afford either one right now. He will be giving me $100 that I can put towards one of those lenses. I'm expecting to get some more money and the 35/2 is my first choice, so I know I will be at least 2/3 of the way to it. I've asked other family members for gift cards to B&H and Adorama, among other things, so I could possibly get even more towards it.

Christmas is only 2 weeks and 2 days away, so it'll be here before you know it. Hang in there.

Heather
Thanks for the comments, Heather. I am, indeed, looking forward to the new lens. BTW, I've got both an FA 50/1.4 (left over from my film days) and an FA35/2. I like your first choice; I haven't put my 50 on a body since buying the 35 a little over a year ago. I think the 35 is a sharper lens and I've always found the FOV of a 50 on my DSLR's to be awkward.

Have a great Christmas - you'll get one of those primes soon!

Jer