Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar Series1 F--

Today I pickup a Vivitar Series 1 28--105 1:2.8-3.8 VMC Macro focusing Zoom Made in Japan No.09143820 PK-A/R 67mm at a tag sale for $10.00.
when i put in on the camera pentax K-7 this what came up( 7 - -) in the Manual mode help

09-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wrong section- moved.

This article contains the answer to your question:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seaman256 Quote
Today I pickup a Vivitar Series 1 28--105 1:2.8-3.8 VMC Macro focusing Zoom Made in Japan No.09143820 PK-A/R 67mm at a tag sale for $10.00.
The best $10.00 you will ever spend! Period! You got yourself a Humdinger my friend! This lens is a fantastic sleeper lens that is capable of 1:2.5 macro (from around 45mm and up) and it produces fantastic IQ and sharpness. FYR, this is a Cosina manufactured lens (the good quality of Cosina, not the bad)...

---
10-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Remove that Ricoh pin! It's very easy to do on that lens.

10-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a decent lens optically, but the push-pull mechanism is the worst I've seen:

- short focus throw - just 45 degrees - pretty ridiculous for a manual focus lens
- the movement described by the ring when focusing is a spiral, because the lens extends while focusing
- the zoom throw is short too

Practically, it's impossible to select a focal lens in between 28 and 105 and keep using it - the zoom will creep and because of the spiral rotation, it's not even going to be easy to see what focal length you have ended up using. Mostly, I used it either as a 28 or a 105 - not really what you think when you think "zoom" and disappointing considering that this is a superb focal range.

IQ is ok - it's not very sharp wide open and it's decent stopped down. Good for portraits at long end. Good macro capability at short end. I much prefer the Tamron SP 35-80 - no push-pull, better close up capability at long end.

That being said, for $10 it's a bargain - you can recoup your investment easily and put the money into an even better lens.
01-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seaman256 Quote
when i put in on the camera pentax K-7 this what came up( 7 - -) in the Manual mode help
I picked one up. It's marked Marco Focusing Zoom with a 72mm filter thread. No serial number anywhere???

Did you remove the Ricoh pin? I removed mine and messes up something. I posted on page 7 of the Vivitar series 1 Club. Could you nice folks read it and assist me in getting this lens back to what it once was. I paid $40.00 and it has lens creep. Many thanks.
Ted

Last edited by royden; 01-11-2012 at 09:15 AM.
01-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tkossally Quote
...Did you remove the Ricoh pin? I removed mine and messes up something. I posted on page 7 of the Vivitar series 1 Club. Could you nice folks read it and assist me in getting this lens back to what it once was...
Ted
I would guess that you removed the wrong pin - the Ricoh pin has absolutley nothing to do with operation on a Pentax camera. The Ricoh pin is the one almost diametrically opposed to the red dot.
01-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I would guess that you removed the wrong pin - the Ricoh pin has absolutley nothing to do with operation on a Pentax camera. The Ricoh pin is the one almost diametrically opposed to the red dot.

Hey m42man, Removed 2, one at 5 o'clock and one at 6 o'clock. I realized my error and replace the 5 o'clock pin. I did this once before and only removed the problem pin and have no idea why I removed 2 on the Vivitar. Had to be brain freeze.
the only issue left to be resolved is the coupling lever problem. At "A" or small apertures the viewfinder is dark. I may have to use it as a M lens. I replied to calicojack about this too. See Below............ Thanks.

Hello Calicojack,
I pulled apart the lens again and figured out where that small bearing goes and It's clicking again. A small victory. Thanks for your input.. However, one major problem remains. When I move the lever at the back end of the lens I expect the blades to open/close when at small aperture..It dose not. I set another lens that I have at say f22 or 16, move the lever and the blades open and close. I take the Vivitar lens off "A", move the aperture ring through f22 to 2.8 and that works ok. So I may have to use this lens as I would a Pentax M lens. When it is on "A" the view is dark. At 2.8 it's bright and get darker as I stop down. Any Ideas anyone? Thanks

Last edited by royden; 01-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.