Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoya CPL. Which version to get?

Hi,

I lost my 77mm CPL yesterday and I am now looking to replace it.

Hoya made a standard CPL and a Pro 1D version.

The pro 1D version of course cost a lot more.

On this page, it says the Pro1D CPL has 2 stops of light transmission whereas the Hoya Standard CPL only have 1 stop! Does this mean the Standard CPL is better than the Pro1D??

I am confused. Help please

Thanks
raider

09-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually it's the Hoya HD CPL that reduces transmission by only 1 stop, vs. 2 stops for the Pro1D. And that's what they're talking about -- how much the filter reduces incoming light. Unless you specifically want the darker filter, the HD version would be more versatile -- better in low light situations. Yes, it costs more. Either costs more than the Hoya F or G series. Main difference I presume is in the quality of the coatings; with filters there's a fair amount of "you get what you pay for".
09-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
NEW HOYA 77mm HD Circular Polarizing Digital Filter | MaxSaver.Net (hvStar)
09-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

I would treat the HOYA claims with some caution. Based on the HD CPL data the filter has the usual 1.3 stop loss traditionally found in good linear PL filters. (I don't know what circular PL filters generally are,) The HOYA figure that shows this filter gas roughly 90% transmittance is incorrect/misleading--as 1 stop loss would be 50% transmittance, 1.3 stop is even less.

09-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The HD CPL eats up less light than their own other CPL, and again less than B+W CPLs which tax 2EV. But the biggest charm of HD CPL is easy to clean coating, thinner and harder glass and thinner rim with front thread. Some had problem with HOYA rims coming apart though I have never experienced this in 20 years.
09-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@wlachan, tried to order but that store will not ship outside of USA. Looks like i have to search someplace else.
09-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's weird because they are HK based. I am quite certain they ship to Australia and the checkout menu has Australia too. Maybe email them to double check.
09-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I would treat the HOYA claims with some caution. Based on the HD CPL data the filter has the usual 1.3 stop loss traditionally found in good linear PL filters. (I don't know what circular PL filters generally are,) The HOYA figure that shows this filter gas roughly 90% transmittance is incorrect/misleading--as 1 stop loss would be 50% transmittance, 1.3 stop is even less.
Good point -- I should have said I was clarifying what they were claiming; I don't know what they actually achieve. Although as it happens I do have a Hoya HD CPL.

09-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The HD CPL eats up less light than their own other CPL, and again less than B+W CPLs which tax 2EV. But the biggest charm of HD CPL is easy to clean coating, thinner and harder glass and thinner rim with front thread. Some had problem with HOYA rims coming apart though I have never experienced this in 20 years.
Would just like to highlight "wachlan's" point about some of the physical aspects of the Pro-1D filter.

I went shooting with a group yesterday around the harbour & nothern shores of Sydney. Beautiful sunny day near the water so wide angle and polariser was the order of the day.

The guy that runs the photo group was using his 60D body and 10-22 lens with a 77mm Pro-1D CPL. He hates it. The ultra thin frame is a nightmare to get off the Canon lens, and the front coating surface is "rough" so it is an even worse nightmare to clean. He told me this when I pointed out the enormous greasy mark on it.

I was using a DA15 with a B+W CPL (not the slim version). There is no issues with vignetting using the non-slim version on this lens and the hood slips out fine without really rubbing the filter frame knurling.

2 stops of light loss vs 1 stop of light loss is hardly going to be an issue in the bright sunny conditions you would normally be using the CPL in anyway.
09-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

HOYA has 3 different MC - HMC/DMC, HMC SUPER & HD. While the 1st 2 are xxxxx to clean, the HD is indeed easy to clean. The difference between HOYA and B+W thin CPLs is that the latter has no front thread. Stuck filters can be removed easily with rubber band. I like the heft feel of B+W brass filters though.
09-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@wlachan, I received an email from maxsaver.net and they say that shipping to Australia is possible and that shipping is FREE?!!
09-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

FYI, I'd have a look at these articles before deciding which version CPL to buy:

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
Polarizing filters test - supplement - Introduction - Lenstip.com
09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
@wlachan, I received an email from maxsaver.net and they say that shipping to Australia is possible and that shipping is FREE?!!
Yup. Don't worry. I have bought from them for years w/o issue.