Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anybody know off hand how to remove the focusing ring on an A 50mm f/2.8 macro?

I've worked on a couple of M series primes and normally the trim ring on the front unscrews fairly easily to expose the screws underneath. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with the A 50mm f/2.8 macro - I want to remove and rotate the focus ring by about 90 degrees so that infinity is indicated at the right spot on the distance scale. A previous repairman must not have been paying enough attention during reassembly.

09-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Does you lens have a narrow textured ring along the filter thread? Just wondering if that is like my A series zoom. On my lens it can simply be gently slipped off with a very small hook tool.
09-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The focusing ring is separate from the filter threads and the filter threads move with a non-rotating lens group inside the focus ring. I'll see if I can get the rubber grip to lift up at all at the edges.

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Lens Photo - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I sort of expected the trim ring with the lens name on it to just unscrew and reveal screws holding the focus ring underneath (and it may yet, with enough force).
09-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Given the long helix/helicoid of the lens, I would wonder if I should suggest the rubber grip comes off to reveal set screws? I would hope someone chimes in and knows this answer as I have M series lenses and only two A series. On the zoom...

you see a notch and the trim piece spins freely with enough give to lift out, but I would slightly heat it under the warmth of a lamp as it looks like cheap brittle plastic.