Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, the spring goes *inside* the A pin, so you can probably imagine how tiny it is (I'd guesstimate no more than 1mm diameter, maybe even half that). I've worked on a lot of electronics and electro-mechanical stuff in my life, but have never seen a spring this small. It's like watch-spring small, and I have zero experience with watches. I can try re-assembling it without the pin to see what happens. Honestly, it couldn't be any worse.

09-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wedge Quote
Yes, the spring goes *inside* the A pin, so you can probably imagine how tiny it is (I'd guesstimate no more than 1mm diameter, maybe even half that). I've worked on a lot of electronics and electro-mechanical stuff in my life, but have never seen a spring this small. It's like watch-spring small, and I have zero experience with watches. I can try re-assembling it without the pin to see what happens. Honestly, it couldn't be any worse.
I'm thinking it will function normally with the exception of not having the A setting. You can use it that way in the meantime till you can find a spring. Did you ever find any indication of why the A setting was not working reliably?
While I wouldn't buy one for this reason, should you ever wind up with a junk lens, try the aperture detent ball spring. If I can think of any good source I'll post. There is the option of a film camera body too.
If you live in a bigger town you might want to see if any local gunsmiths could hook you up. Likewise, maybe a watch repair shop. micro tools or online watch repair or gunsmithing supply places might be a place to look.
09-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

How about the spring out of a watch bar cut and ground down (like the bar that goes through the band). That should be cheap enough if it's small enough? A whole box of them is 4$
Set 340 Stainless Steel Watch Spring Bars Pins 1.5mm | eBay
though I might look locally first so you know how big they are?
09-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

If you don't wind up finding anything, pm me. I'm not making any promises but I may have something if you are not in a hurry.

09-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've got a box of old film cameras (cheap 35mm dial-wind types) that I can scavenge parts from...I hadn't thought of that possibility. And I didn't find any clear reason for the A setting not working. There was some dirt in there on the electrical contacts, so that could have been causing the intermittent behavior.