Veteran Member

That was fast.

09-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
"Item has been removed"

Oh bother.
It is not removed. It is at 9 bids and 56$ right now.
09-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Porga Quote
It is not removed. It is at 9 bids and 56$ right now.
Aye, seems to be back, but I saw it with the "listing removed" page too. I bet they took it down, reviewed it, and put it back up. Maybe Ebay staff can't count to 8 either.
09-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
9th blade may be stucked some where in the lens?

09-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

my most expensive lens so far is a $30 fa 100-300mm. i actually made $10 if you count the $40 i got on kijiji for the one it replaced. i may go as high as $50 some day if i can find a decent f1.4 lens that cheap.
09-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Mamiya 55 f1.4 in M42 mount can be even cheaper, if you have the adapter then. Some rare to find, but unknown for most, and selling for cheap. A beautiful lens.
09-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think the ability to sell is at least very helpful.
  • Not everyone knows their needs so precisely that they can just buy those exact lenses and quit forever. So buy something, try it out and sell it if it doesn't work for you. If you buy and sell well, you can make money, but even at a cost, you learn about your needs and eventually settle on lenses that work.
  • You may have perfectly identified your needs, then something changed: kids, eyes, job, etc. Selling is necessary to fund the lenses for your new needs.
  • I look for chances to upgrade my lenses. Today I was bidding on the AF version of one lens I use a lot. If I could get it for the right price, I'd have more features. To complete the deal, I'd have to sell the older version. Today didn't work out but it did last week.
  • I actually like selling.

It's not the only way to approach the hobby, but it works for me.

Edit: This guy is selling to people who can't count to 8:
Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 RARE 9 BLADE APERTURE M42 screw | eBay
Dave

really I was joking here, and agree fully that some people are not sure when they start out, in knowing what they want, or need.

I probably have difficulty understanding this because it was so long ago that I started, by the time I went to digital, I had a really good idea on what to add to my lenses. I also had someone advise me very early on, that I should, if budget allows, go for quality lenses when I expanded my collection from the 50/2 lens that came as a kit lens way back when.

Same with my old MF primes.

to a great extent, the same with my M42 kit, where I deliberately avioded SMC taks where ever possible, because I did not want too much overlap with my K mounts in terms of design. I went in stead for oddities.

Do I have lenses that didn't work out, yes, only 1 or 2, paid $30 each, and not sure I would /could honestly sell them even for $30. THe first is a sigma mini wide 28/2.8 in KA mount that has more lateral CA than a cheap .5x front end adaptor, and the second is a rikenon 135/2.8 M42 mount that suffered very badly from internal reflections with the sensor, until I painted the rear group retaining ring.

Knowing the flaws in these lenses I doubt I could honestly sell them, but I can understand for example, someone getting a fisheye, and then deciding he didn't like the look, and selling it again. Life is like that.
09-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #23

Original Poster
Oh, the tips for selling are very informative. I started to realized that I can only get cheap stuff with package deal and normally from the original owners locally . Not from you guys that already know which is good and which is bad. For the package deal you always have something that not useful so you'll need to get rid of. I agree with Lowell. If I know a particular lens has something I don't really like, I'm reluctant to sell them by asking a fair price on ebay cause I got this type of treatment on ebay several times. Normally I ask my friends first to see if they'd like to take them for little money or sometimes just free for really cheap stuff.

While I think it is difficult to change yourself. We have to live with ourselves and wish someday we can grab a good deal that's dirty cheap! And we know it with happiness!

Wish all of our dreamed equipment come true.

09-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

There are advantages to buying here or somewhere like keh as well as advantages to bargain hunting on ebay. If you are looking for a specific lens, and want one in very good condition, I think you would have better luck paying a bit more here or somewhere like keh. You are buying from someone that knows lenses and knows what to look for as far as issues (most of the bought it at an estate or yard sale crop of sellers that provide so many bargains on ebay don't seem to). If you are looking to buy a 28-200, a 28-210, a 35-200, a 70-200, an 80-200, another 80-200, a 100-300, a 90-230, another 80-200, an auto focus 28-200, ans probably some others I'm forgetting (and that is just the longer zooms), then ebay is good. By the way yes I did buy all those lenses and yes I do have my LBA under control (hang on, gotta get a band aid for my finger, it's bleeding from clicking bid too much). Seems on ebay you almost always have to assume its going to be a grade or 2 less that the way it was described (especially if you are hunting for the bargain lenses). If you only recently started buying manual focus lenses like me and just want to fill a cabinet with stuff to try cheap then ebay is great. If you are just suffering from a serious case of LBA (me too) then ebay is also great. You don't necessarily have to get package deals to get great deals though package deals do seem to have the cheapest per lens cost (if for no other reason due to shipping), but I have got many great bargains with single lenses. One of the more notable was a vivitar series one 70-210 ver 2 for 15$ shipped (listed as a vivitar filter). It was in very good condition (OM mount but that was easy enough to convert). Of course there is the other side of it (got another lens with fungus yesterday that was specifically listed as no fungus or haze). The good ones seem to out weigh the bad for me at least.

Fyi I haven't tried to sell any off either (if they are good, why sell them and if they are not good, why deal with the time, headache and minimum profit).

Honestly, now that I have so many and am only looking for a few specific lenses, I'm thinking about keh or here more than ebay (can not say I still don't hunt for bargains on ebay still though).
09-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
Pentaxian

i would agree with ripit

the fact is, that all but 2 of my lenses I bought where I could touch and feel them, (camera store, pawn shop, garage sale, thrift store, swap meets.....)

the two I bought on e-bay, one was only as a means of convenience to get from a forum member, the other was an outright e-bay auction.

when deailing with putting a lens collection together, especially if you are looking for lenses that are in good shape, it is nice to be able to see the real thing.

for newer lenses e-bay can be a good source of lenses because there are a lot out there, but older lenses, I think it is nice to be able to play with them. Aside from that, for me, a lens can cost double the winning bid when you consider shipping on E-Bay so a "cheap" lens does not really exist.

perhaps I have been spoiled by living so close to many cheap lens stores.
09-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Yes, you're spoiled. The only cheap lenses in my area are in broken eyeglasses. Since going dSLR, I can count the number of lenses I've bought in stores on the fingers of one hand and still have a leftover for rude gestures.
09-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I repeatedly kick myself for not getting more lenses when I lived outside of Dallas. You don't know how lucky you are having that advantage. Not only did I live near plenty of camera stores, but I lived very close to the wolf camera clearance center (I think they have 2 nationally that gets all the discontinued/returned/old/not selling stuff from the whole country). I got my ist-ds with kit lens there new old stock in all original kit packaging for 275$ (they had a boat load full of them). Now I live in Niagara falls, and there isn't even one camera store. I have looked a little in buffalo and haven't found much (one store that has a tiny little shelf of used, all common stuff). Someone told me about a store somewhere in western NY that is supposed to carry a huge selection but I think its about 8 hours from here. The other wolf camera clearance center is supposed to be in NY somewhere to but I haven't figured out where. Ebay is the only large market available to me.
Maybe it's just my luck, but on ebay, when I am just looking for a bunch of dirt cheap lenses is when I have got the best ones. I guess the I got it at an estate sale and know nothing about it works both ways and you can get some really good lenses cheap (usually with some gamble involved or they may not go so cheap). More often than not the gamble has paid off for me. I think almost every time I have gone looking for something specific an paid more there has been a problem (including this last one with fungus even though the listing clearly said no fungus or haze).
09-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I repeatedly kick myself for not getting more lenses when I lived outside of Dallas. You don't know how lucky you are having that advantage. Not only did I live near plenty of camera stores, but I lived very close to the wolf camera clearance center (I think they have 2 nationally that gets all the discontinued/returned/old/not selling stuff from the whole country). I got my ist-ds with kit lens there new old stock in all original kit packaging for 275$ (they had a boat load full of them). Now I live in Niagara falls, and there isn't even one camera store. I have looked a little in buffalo and haven't found much (one store that has a tiny little shelf of used, all common stuff). Someone told me about a store somewhere in western NY that is supposed to carry a huge selection but I think its about 8 hours from here. The other wolf camera clearance center is supposed to be in NY somewhere to but I haven't figured out where. Ebay is the only large market available to me.
Maybe it's just my luck, but on ebay, when I am just looking for a bunch of dirt cheap lenses is when I have got the best ones. I guess the I got it at an estate sale and know nothing about it works both ways and you can get some really good lenses cheap (usually with some gamble involved or they may not go so cheap). More often than not the gamble has paid off for me. I think almost every time I have gone looking for something specific an paid more there has been a problem (including this last one with fungus even though the listing clearly said no fungus or haze).

You're not going to find many stores with Pentax gear upstate. Even in Rochester there are only a few camera stores left, and they only deal with Canikon. Your best bet is to hit Goodwill in Buffalo or Rochester. The Rochester Goodwill in particular never manages to sell anything on shopgoodwill.com Because they put a reserve price on everything. You might also get lucky at a pawn shop, no shortage of those upstate.

The only camera shop where I have seen any Pentax gear was in Elmira, NY. They wanted at least twice what it was worth.
09-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Dave

really I was joking here, and agree fully that some people are not sure when they start out, in knowing what they want, or need.

I probably have difficulty understanding this because it was so long ago that I started, by the time I went to digital, I had a really good idea on what to add to my lenses. I also had someone advise me very early on, that I should, if budget allows, go for quality lenses when I expanded my collection from the 50/2 lens that came as a kit lens way back when.
I did notice the joke... this morning. Selling has just worked out for me. I even made money in Hawaiian real estate. Probably couldn't do it again, though.

QuoteQuote:
...Do I have lenses that didn't work out, yes, only 1 or 2, paid $30 each, and not sure I would /could honestly sell them even for $30. THe first is a sigma mini wide 28/2.8 in KA mount that has more lateral CA than a cheap .5x front end adaptor, and the second is a rikenon 135/2.8 M42 mount that suffered very badly from internal reflections with the sensor, until I painted the rear group retaining ring.

Knowing the flaws in these lenses I doubt I could honestly sell them, but I can understand for example, someone getting a fisheye, and then deciding he didn't like the look, and selling it again. Life is like that.
Having owned the K135/2.5 and the Takumar Bayonet 135/2.5, I have a hard time selling the Takumar Bayonet for more than $25, with a long description of what it is.
09-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You're not going to find many stores with Pentax gear upstate. Even in Rochester there are only a few camera stores left, and they only deal with Canikon. Your best bet is to hit Goodwill in Buffalo or Rochester. The Rochester Goodwill in particular never manages to sell anything on shopgoodwill.com Because they put a reserve price on everything. You might also get lucky at a pawn shop, no shortage of those upstate.

The only camera shop where I have seen any Pentax gear was in Elmira, NY. They wanted at least twice what it was worth.
Even with those kind of option I have not found anything yet. There is really nothing around here so its some driving just to try those option. I have never seen a dslr or lens in the niagara falls or tonawanda goodwill (or maybe they are salvation army's). Number of pawn shops seem limited too at least near by.