Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I finally got an accurate count on how many lenses I have bought in the last few months. I had never owned a manual focus lens till a few months back so its mostly them though I did get some AF ones. It's been kind of hard because if my wife ever saw the list, I would be sleeping on the porch with my lenses till further notice. I have got 29 slr lenses on ebay, 1 on craigslist and 4 someone gave me (those were canon mount and 3 had fungus though). I have also gotten 24 other lenses, (teleconverters, wide angle lenses, specialty lenses like multi image lenses etc. If I were to add up all the step rings, filters, hoods, adapters etc it would probably be at least another 50 (mostly cheap direct from china stuff though some good filters). I'm very curious what I paid for it all, and how many wound up being bad or good etc. I'll have to get around to that someday when the wife isn't looking.

09-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Even with those kind of option I have not found anything yet. There is really nothing around here so its some driving just to try those option. I have never seen a dslr or lens in the niagara falls or tonawanda goodwill (or maybe they are salvation army's). Number of pawn shops seem limited too at least near by.
I've never seen any sort of camera in a Salvation Army or Rescue Mission. I've always gotten the feeling that anything good that comes into a donation center gets picked over by the employees and put on eBay. I know Goodwill of Western NY and Goodwill of Greater Rochester have cameras because they are listed on shopgoodwill.com. As the Rochester Goodwill never actually sells anything online they have to end up in a store at some point.

Pawn shops are mostly a lost cause. They sell anything good on eBay. Craigslist can produce some good deals. Ther is a black Spotmatic with a Super-Macro-Takumar 50/4 for $100 on Syracuse craigslist.
09-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I'll have to check out the goodwill next time I head to buffalo or Rochester.
09-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I finally got an accurate count on how many lenses I have bought in the last few months. I had never owned a manual focus lens till a few months back so its mostly them though I did get some AF ones. It's been kind of hard because if my wife ever saw the list, I would be sleeping on the porch with my lenses till further notice. I have got 29 slr lenses on ebay, 1 on craigslist and 4 someone gave me (those were canon mount and 3 had fungus though). I have also gotten 24 other lenses, (teleconverters, wide angle lenses, specialty lenses like multi image lenses etc. If I were to add up all the step rings, filters, hoods, adapters etc it would probably be at least another 50 (mostly cheap direct from china stuff though some good filters). I'm very curious what I paid for it all, and how many wound up being bad or good etc. I'll have to get around to that someday when the wife isn't looking.
you have more in the last 2 months than I have ever. Although I have been selective, but a little more pricey perhaps. I have in total 15 M42 lenses for a total of $1000 but that includes a super tak 85/1.9 and some other real quality lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I've never seen any sort of camera in a Salvation Army or Rescue Mission. I've always gotten the feeling that anything good that comes into a donation center gets picked over by the employees and put on eBay. I know Goodwill of Western NY and Goodwill of Greater Rochester have cameras because they are listed on shopgoodwill.com. As the Rochester Goodwill never actually sells anything online they have to end up in a store at some point.

Pawn shops are mostly a lost cause. They sell anything good on eBay. Craigslist can produce some good deals. Ther is a black Spotmatic with a Super-Macro-Takumar 50/4 for $100 on Syracuse craigslist.
I picked up a SMC Tak 135/3.5 a set of pentax M42 extension tubes, a couple of pentax 49mm filters, a pentax M42 focusing helix all for $40 from goodwill. I have also picked up a helios 44M2 (58mm/2) for $10 and a tamron 28/2.5 for $12, passed on a tak 50/1.4 because I already had one, many many 50/2's and slow k mount 3rd party wide angles and 135's and about 15 bodies all at the same goodwill. and that is just the pentax stuff, they have had nikons, canons, niboltas, and even a miranda slr there. I watch this place closely

09-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you have more in the last 2 months than I have ever. Although I have been selective, but a little more pricey perhaps. I have in total 15 M42 lenses for a total of $1000 but that includes a super tak 85/1.9 and some other real quality lenses.
Its probably more like 3-4 months but yea, I have been a little out of control. Honestly, a lot of it is about trying out different zoom ranges, minimum aperture ranges and so forth to see what lenses work well for me. I have gotten some real gems and plenty of average to good lenses too (and some dogs). It started out with primes and I got a ricoh 50mm 2.0 that is sharper than I can believe but it and my other 50mm primes have mostly just sat on the shelf. I would have felt bad had I spent a lot on some of them just to see them unused. Now that I have most ranges and variations covered, I can more selectively chose what to buy and perhaps spend a little more should I notice a lens configuration I like but lack a good one. There is not really much to buy though as I have gotten good to great lenses in most ranges out of it all. The only thing that comes to mind is a wide zoom (maybe 28-90???) with 2.8 constant aperture. They seem rare and expensive (hard to get a good feeling for what they are worth because there seem to be so few). I actually got one but its a half broken turd. I guess the 35-200mm 3-4.5 might suffice for now (maybe 3-3.4 in that range) or the vivitar 35-70mm 2.8-3.8 or several that are slower (AF and MF).

Once I have had a few months to play with them, I imagine I'll have a lens or two in mind that I would like (or like a better one of). Any purchases I make anymore right now are pure LBA (there are only two configurations I'm even looking for and both will be expensive. They would be the wide 2.8 constant and an AF 28-200??. I have that range covered beyond overkill including a series 1 70-210 ver 2 with MF but would like an AF. I actually just received a 28-200AF but it has fungus (well see how that pans out).

I'm thinking my average cost is 10$ or less shipped per lens. Some have been more but those 5$ shipped lenses (which an amazing number of which have been good to great) really bring down the average. It also seems all of the most expensive had problems and were partially or fully refunded or returned.
09-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Just counted bad lenses and there were more than I thought. 10 out of 29 had some issue but some were expected. I'm guessing at least half were usable with limitations or were repairable. A dietz 135mm 2.8 with sticky aperture (sold for parts, knew about the aperture, first impression is it is very sharp and good glass, paid 2$ plus combined shipping with other lenses). An unknown 80-200,, (front ring missing and front glass looked like it got dragged across the cement, cost 1.04$ plus combined shipping with other lenses, damage was noted in the listing, bought for parts). A vivitar 28-200 that had minor fungus on 1 element. Seller refunded 18$ out of 30$. Lens is in usable condition after cleaning the fungus (probably some contrast loss, images are good-good+ but probably should have been great). vivitar 100-300 minor fungus (after partial refund got it for less that what the included t4-pk adapter usually goes for). Two that were trashed (only 2 bad feedback's I had to leave). and a couple others with varying issues. I count 8 that were better than good to excellent (in condition and performance). I'm thinking of the remaining 11 (nothing wrong with these lenses, functions fine and good condition), maybe 2-4 worked fine but were junk quality/IQ and the rest were decent-good/good+ performance.

I guess that is a decent enough spread for very cheap 30 year old lenses. Only 5 or so unusable, 5 repairable, 8 gems, and 11 good condition of varying performance. These are best guesses as some have had very limited use (it takes a little bit of time to thoroughly try out 29 lenses).
09-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I've bought several lots on ebay and shopgoodwill, usually to get one lens I want to try out. However I do try all of them out and then resell the others on ebay. I always post photos taken with the lens, photos of the lens, and try to accurately describe the lens and any problems. The ones that do have problems I usually bundle with a camera, and list it as such. If I haven't tested the camera I will list it as is. I have kept some of these lenses for over a year, if I find out I don't use them they go on the block, and I've given some away and tossed a couple. Most sell for more than I paid, although I've sold some for 99 cents. These sales have mostly paid for the four new lenses I have bought. I think it's fun trying all of these lenses out, and of course there were some I wish I had kept, like the Mamiya SX 21mm M42 mount. What a gorgeous lens, but I could not bring myself to modifying it to use on my K20D. The SX series if different than the auto series. It will work on a Spotmatic, but takes a major mod to work on a DSLR.
09-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've bought several lots on ebay and shopgoodwill, usually to get one lens I want to try out. However I do try all of them out and then resell the others on ebay. I always post photos taken with the lens, photos of the lens, and try to accurately describe the lens and any problems. The ones that do have problems I usually bundle with a camera, and list it as such. If I haven't tested the camera I will list it as is. I have kept some of these lenses for over a year, if I find out I don't use them they go on the block, and I've given some away and tossed a couple. Most sell for more than I paid, although I've sold some for 99 cents. These sales have mostly paid for the four new lenses I have bought. I think it's fun trying all of these lenses out, and of course there were some I wish I had kept, like the Mamiya SX 21mm M42 mount. What a gorgeous lens, but I could not bring myself to modifying it to use on my K20D. The SX series if different than the auto series. It will work on a Spotmatic, but takes a major mod to work on a DSLR.
It wouldn't surprise me if I eventually wind up like that. I have gotten better at reisting the urge to bid but I keep looking, even for types I already have several of. Trying out new lenses is fun and honestly repairing them can sometimes be fun too. I'm thinking that if I ever try selling any though, I might try craigslist first. That way they can see and test the lens,see and or experience any problems first hand, and there is a better chance both parties walk away happy plus no fees or shipping). I kind of wonder since it is very rare you see anything listed here, maybe it's a wide open market.

09-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I love cheap lenses, I've got over 30 cheap lenses now. And the list includes some nice Vivitar Seies1 ( 2 lenses less than 50 ) glass. a gorgeous Schacht Travegar ( 10 )
3 Takumars ( all less than 20 ) and a variety of Soligors, Pentacons, Helios, Tair, Industar and strore brands that turned out to be decent manufacturers. I've also got a pile of Canon FD and Minolta MD stuff.
And like I said, I like cheap stuff. I'm with RioRico, use the hamburger rule; if you don't know what it is or what it's worth and it costs more than a basic meal, move on. I research and read, and if I want a particular lens I'll spend the money, but that's rare. I wait until I drop on a cheap one.
I never use Ebay to buy or sell, I trawl yard sales, charity shops, pawnshops and camera fairs. Sometimes I get lucky, most times I do because I move on past the expensive stuff. I got 2 Minolta XD7 ( Nearly mint ) and 4 lenses plus a huge bagfull of stuff the other day for 25, the guy was asking a lot more, but waving notes in front of someone soon drops the price.
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I'm with RioRico, use the hamburger rule; if you don't know what it is or what it's worth and it costs more than a basic meal, move on.
For those who aren't familiar, my lens-acquisition rule is:
If it costs less than a hamburger or sandwich, buy it.
If it costs more than an el-supreme-oh pizza, think hard about it.
If it costs more than a good dinner out with your partner, ask here about it!
This is also a handy weight-control program, eh? Buy lenses, not BigMacs!
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

This is also a handy weight-control program, eh? Buy lenses, not BigMacs!
Great advice , but occasionally I get BMBA (Big Mac Buying Addiction) too!
09-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Threadjack!!

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Great advice , but occasionally I get BMBA (Big Mac Buying Addiction) too!
I have tried BM's over the years and they always taste nauseating. Not just me: While cruising around with our ever-starving dobergirl in the back of the pickup, we realized that we hadn't fed her that day. So we stopped at McDick's for a BM and gave it to her. She wouldn't eat it. This is a dog who happily scarfed-down cat turds, and she WOULDN'T EAT A BIG MAC!! Think about that, eh?
09-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I thought big mac's were reprocessed cat turds !
09-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I love cheap lenses, I've got over 30 cheap lenses now. And the list includes some nice Vivitar Seies1 ( 2 lenses less than 50 ) glass. a gorgeous Schacht Travegar ( 10 )
Same here. I'm really liking that so many cheap lenses are available to play with (as mentioned I only recently started buying cheap ebay lenses so the glamor of cheap stuff hasn't worn off yet). I have also got several very good lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For those who aren't familiar, my lens-acquisition rule is: If it costs less than a hamburger or sandwich, buy it. If it costs more than an el-supreme-oh pizza, think hard about it. If it costs more than a good dinner out with your partner, ask here about it!
While I think it's a good guide line, the price of a burger or a pizza can very a lot. I typically get pizza from the local grocery store deli, fresh cooked for 8-10$. Its actually better than pizza hut (the only major chain), and sad enough its better than any of the little locals I have tried (sad because I live a few blocks from little Italy in Niagara falls and there are scads of pizza and Italian restaurants). The Italian hasn't been that impressive either (which sucks because I love Italian food). A burger might cost 1$ (value menu cat turd burger) or it could cost 10 with fries and a drink.

Where would everyone rate my latest stupid impulse purchase on the food chain?
Its a soligor cd 35-70mm 2.5-3.5. auction said Lens is in Good Condition With No Dirt,Water Damage,etc... one place and great condition in the title (no mount listed). I noticed it in my watch list a few hours before end(it and other lists are full so I miss stuff). I sent a message asking about the mount, fungus, haze, scratches and function. I had to leave before I got a reply so I bid low (software snipe) and got it for 1.39 plus 12$ shipping (from las vegas to NY but I still consider shipping part of the purchase price so 13.39).

Where would 13.39 fall on everybody's food chain?

On a side note, reply was It Has some Minor stuff On The Lense That Doesn't Really Effect Anything But it's a Mount for an Olympus Camera whatever that is supposed to mean.
09-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I think it's a good guide line, the price of a burger or a pizza can very a lot. I typically get pizza from the local grocery store deli, fresh cooked for 8-10$. Its actually better than pizza hut (the only major chain), and sad enough its better than any of the little locals I have tried (sad because I live a few blocks from little Italy in Niagara falls and there are scads of pizza and Italian restaurants). The Italian hasn't been that impressive either (which sucks because I love Italian food). A burger might cost 1$ (value menu cat turd burger) or it could cost 10 with fries and a drink.
I know the New Yorkers will howl, but the best pizza in the state is in Syracuse. And on Tuesday nights the best pizza place in town knocks $5 off a $12 16" or $10 12" takeout pizza. Syracuse has tons of great Italian restaurants, even if most of the people who live in "Little Italy" are Vietnamese. Utica is also renowned for its Italian restaurants, Chicken Riggies originated in Utica. You will find that NY is all about regional foods. Buffalo has its overpriced chicken leftovers, Rochester has the Garbage Plate, Binghamton has the Spiedie, Syracuse the Salt Potato & Coney (White Hotdog) etc. Rochester thinks they invented the white hotdog, they call it the White Hot, but I can assure you they come from Hofmann's in Syracuse (since 1879).

Meat Eater?s Paradise: Five Legendary Foods from Upstate New York - Blogcritics Tastes

Back on topic. I just bought a Zenit E w/ Helios 44-2 on shopgoodwill for $41 shipped. That's about $5 less than a Helios 44-2 shipped from Russia, and I don't have to wait for international shipping, just UPS ground from the west coast (almost as bad). This is the first camera/lens I've bought in months and now I'm starting to feel guilty.