Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi all. I bought a Pentax-A 35-105 f3.5 on ebay for $11 Aussie dollars. That's 3 bucks for the lens and 8 bucks for postage. It was advertised as having 'Fungus issues'. I unscrewed the end element group, cleaned the fungus off, and it was almost as good as new. A few tiny threads of fungus remained deeper inside the lens.
Then, a year later, I sold it for $150. Now I always look at the lenses that are described as "Faulty, For parts or repair".

Regards

09-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Where would 13.39 fall on everybody's food chain?
For lenses, I have bought about 70 for less than that and 200 for more.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I know the New Yorkers will howl, but the best pizza in the state is in Syracuse.
I feel strongly that New York City ruined pizza for itself, then exported it to the world.
09-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about Vietnamese but I have found more good Chinese restaurants around here than Italian. I have never heard of a white hot till now but that sounds interesting (I have lived in NY less than 2 yrs). weisswurst is one of my favorite foods and it sounds similar but with beef added. I kind of wonder if that is what i was based on?

Something interesting about the soligor (or more appropriately the seller). The seller is gold and silver pawn shop (the ones that do pawn stars). I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
09-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Hi all. I bought a Pentax-A 35-105 f3.5 on ebay for $11 Aussie dollars. That's 3 bucks for the lens and 8 bucks for postage. It was advertised as having 'Fungus issues'. I unscrewed the end element group, cleaned the fungus off, and it was almost as good as new. A few tiny threads of fungus remained deeper inside the lens.
Then, a year later, I sold it for $150. Now I always look at the lenses that are described as "Faulty, For parts or repair".

Regards
One of mine was a vivitar 28-200mm 3.5-5.3 that had fungus (it wasn't supposed to though). Paid 31$ shipped but seller refunded 18$ so 13$ cost. The rear group of elements just unscrewed as a unit from the back of the lens (didn't have to take anything else apart). I just had to unscrew one ring and clean the top element. That was among the easier repairs I have done.

09-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I'm not sure about Vietnamese but I have found more good Chinese restaurants around here than Italian. I have never heard of a white hot till now but that sounds interesting (I have lived in NY less than 2 yrs). weisswurst is one of my favorite foods and it sounds similar but with beef added. I kind of wonder if that is what i was based on?

Something interesting about the soligor (or more appropriately the seller). The seller is gold and silver pawn shop (the ones that do pawn stars). I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
Rochester White Hots are bland, that's why they put chili on them. The Coney (Hofmann Snappy Griller) has a bit of fire. Not enough to be uncomfortable but enough to be noticed. Probable spices include white pepper, allspice or maybe mace, and cayenne pepper. The only acceptable topping is mustard. For years ketchup wasn't even a choice at Heids of Liverpool. You can probably find them at Tops. And I'm sure you'll be able to find Zweigle’s. The original German name is Bockwurst .

I don't think that the seller being a pawn shop is a bad thing. Especially one as large as Gold & Silver.
09-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I got another cheap fungus lens. Its a sigma 28-200 AF 3.8-5.6 UC. it sat with high buy it now a few times and then best offer and still not hits. After being listed several weeks, I offered 20$ (plus 10$ shipping) and he counter offered 30$. I counter offered 20$ for the lens only (didn't want the film camera that was with it). It wound up having fungus (not too bad, lots of tiny dots like dust). Seller refunded 15$. 15$ isn't bad at all for a fully functional AF 28-200 but I'm going to have to work for it. I took one shot at cleaning the fungus (only managed to wipe some away). It took me 1.5 hrs to get the aperture working again and get the lens back together. I have about a 1/4" crack blocked in 3 places to go through to clean the fungus (if I tear it apart further I don't think I'll get it back together, this is my first AF lens job). Even in its current state its not too bad for a fungus lens. I think I would have much rather had it clean for 30$ but I'm not going to complain too much about a 15$ AF superzoom.
09-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Fungus is good for portraiture. Ah, that soft romantic look. Right.

My most fungoid lens was an anonymous Porst 135/2.8, looking like a stringy intestinal 3D maze within the glass. I don't need portraits THAT soft, not really, so I sold it for US$12. Hay ripit, your Sigma was US$15? That's about the right price range for infected glass.

I got a Tokina SD 35-200/4-5.6 a few weeks ago for five bucks. Well, actually it was ten bucks, shipped,, but the Hanimex HMC 28/2.8 was thrown in with it for no extra charge, so I log those as five bucks each. Both in PK-A mount. A-type lenses for five bucks? Me happy.

Last edited by RioRico; 09-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
09-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm not to fond of fungus glass. I really hate the look of the images even after cleaning the glass. I wouldn't ever knowingly buy any. I had a vivitar recently with a mild case that actually came out with minimal loss of image quality (the fungus was minimal). I was kind of hoping this one would turn out similar. Right now it looks good on the long end but has issues on the wide end. Hopefully a better cleaning will help. It almost seems like it has auto focus issues on the wide end (not sure if its related to the fungus). I'll have to try some manual focus shots and get the fungus cleaned better (later, I have a long work weekend).

09-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I have just three lenses whose fungus I don't terribly mind. Two Eastman copy lenses (flatfield sharp, no iris, 53/3.5 and 65/3.5) and a Wollensack 162/4.5 enlarger lens, which has a lot of just-right-ness in it. All have been out in the sun a lot, disinfecting. I don't think they'll spread. The Wolly has just a couple strands which I ignore because otherwise the lens is great with bellows+tubes on my K20D.

But yeah, fungi are usually good to avoid, optically.
09-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #55
Veteran Member

My latest

$20 , $20-$30 (cant remember), $10.

Last edited by yeatzee; 09-24-2011 at 02:32 PM.
09-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #56
Pentaxian

I love good/great lenses for cheap, but I will always pass on cheap lenses for cheap.

I've long since lost count of all the cheap 80s 70~200 f/4 zooms that all perform about equally. Or the Sigma 70-210 I'm giving away because it came out of the box in parts after 2 lights uses (good thing it was free).

The generic brands like Kalimar, Star, Prinz, Hanimex, etc...you guys can have them
09-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I love good/great lenses for cheap, but I will always pass on cheap lenses for cheap.

I've long since lost count of all the cheap 80s 70~200 f/4 zooms that all perform about equally. Or the Sigma 70-210 I'm giving away because it came out of the box in parts after 2 lights uses (good thing it was free).

The generic brands like Kalimar, Star, Prinz, Hanimex, etc...you guys can have them
I *mostly* agree The only "off brand" lenses I have were given to me for free, and are minolta mount. However there are a few "jems" IMO. For instance I fell in love with a little albinar 28mm close focus, really regret selling that one :ugh:
09-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Personally, I try to look up info about an off brand lens (that specific lens, not the brand). None of these little brands made their lenses and it seems they sourced their lenses from many different manufactures just like the bigger re branders did. I got a deitz 135mm 2.8 for 4$ shipped (sold for parts along with some other parts lenses) and a kalimar 80-200mm 4.5-5.6 for 5$ shipped (different seller on the kalimar and not sold for parts). Both seem to be pretty good although I honestly haven't had the chance to use them much yet. The kalimar 80-200mm was made in Japan, and what I like about it, is that it is tiny and light for an 80-200mm (makes some of my similar ones like my series 1 ver 2 70-210mm look like a tank compared to a yugo). It might have an advantage in carry situations where you want something small and light with some reach and so far seems to be good including build.
On the other side I have a kalamar 35-70mm 2.8 constant made in Korea. The glass was pretty good and I really wanted this lens to work (any 2.8 constant wide zooms seem less common and sell for a lot more money than many other old lenses). The zoom was jammed when I got it (only ebay dispute I have files over a lens). I would up retaining the lens and got a courtesy refund from ebay. I tore that thing apart and tried to rebuild it maybe 7 times but the build quality was so horrible I could never get it working well. The metal was so soft and thin, if you tightened down any screws anywhere things deformed under the pressure and would jam up (yes those tiny little set screws were making collars and helixes and such bend out of round). It seemed the way to assemble it was to assemble it loose with all the screws loose, then glop a bunch of glue anywhere something is threaded and believe it or not, it seemed that was the way it was assembled from the factory. When I first took it apart everything had factory sealant on it (lots of factory sealant) and everything was sloppy loose.

Some consider ricoh an off brand but my old ricoh 50mm 2.0 is the sharpest lens I have ever seen (beats my series 1 easy). Granted some gambles on off brand lenses were losses and I always try too look into the specific lens first, bur for around 5$ shipped, its worth a little gamble and if they are junk the parts are worth 5$ to me. I can tear them down for donor mounts and all kinds of stuff.
09-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

I have both good and bad off brand lenses. It is hit or miss
09-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have both good and bad off brand lenses. It is hit or miss
Not just off-brands. I have Pentax luzers and Toyo winners. And some off-brands seem solid. I've had consistently good results from Sears and Focal (K-Mart) primes. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances, eh?