Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How many cheap lens hunters? ^_^

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am wondering how many cheap lens hunters here. I looked and seldom see cheap good quality pentax lens here. Most of the stuff are fair+ price for me. As LBA goes by we all have some of not Favorited lenses. How do you get rid of them? Ebay, goodwill? ^_^

HaHa!

09-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"how do you get rid of them?"

WHAT???

you mean you are supposed to sell stuff when you have LBA

Seriously, unless you are a fanatic, you buy what you need/want and no more. If you are a collector, the very nature of collecting defies selling too..

I have bought some lenses, both here and on EBAY, and obviously if you have a bunch to get rid of, the forum market place and E_bay are the best. If you are generous, give them to goodwill, who at least will sell them to someone. If you are really generous, give them to a forum member or trade them. Again, the market place is the best for that.
09-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I just bought a Tokina SD II 70-210mm f/4.0-5.6 and a Pentax Takumar-A 28mm f/2.8 at a flea market, $39 for both. Everybody knows about the 28, but I think the Tokina is underrated. I had one way back in the early 80's and found it to be a very good performer. I also liked it's compact size for traveling and walking around. Just add something like a 24 and a 50 for a nice small kit.

Not gonna get rich if I sell them, but there are a lot of nice bargins out there.
09-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LSA?

09-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
I start with some kit lens and then I want better glass for sharper and more vivid colors, not for better skill though ^_^. So I end up with some extra lens. And one more sad thing I saw is that I always bought a lens with a higher price(I tried to get the ex+ as people described). When I try to sell them I have to lower the price then what I bought for. So other people's ex+ became a bargain when I try to sell. Then what's the secret here on ebay and on our market place? Are we too honest .
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Why I can't see good bargains for prime lens? ^_^
Like a M 28mm F2 for $150. If I bought for say $400, 6 month later are you willing to pay me $400 too? ^_^
09-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem, once you buy a lens, is that if it is a good lens then why would you sell it? And if it is not a good lens, then you will not get much for it so you might as well keep it anyway.

But seriously, if I buy something and don't like it then I just list it back on ebay. If I take a small loss that is OK, sometimes I even make a little money.

09-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
Most of the time I lose some money when I sell(they are mostly zoom lens). Sum them up I realized that I should buy my dreamed lens directly to save time and money . There 2 times I earned some money which is a antique programmer calculator(a gift from a relative when I was a kid) that a person from Europe bought it and then the other case is I sold a pentax M 50mm f1.4 and a scrached M 28mm f2.8 for $100(cost me $60 to get them). But the FA and limited series pentax primes are way too expensive. Save me! I can't get out the lure from LBA ...

Seems that's my problem. How many of you have the same problem like me then ??
09-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have bought batch-lots of photo gear in order to get 1 or 2 lenses. The rest are stashed for awhile, then carefully photographed and described and listed on eBay. So far (buying for 3.3 years; selling for 1.3 years) my profit margin is near 100%. I do best by buying unknown stuff cheap and selling it as known stuff, where it goes for not so cheap. I start all auctions at US$1 or less, and the free market bids prices up to astonishing levels. I can't complain. And I need to sell some more soon. Oh bother.
09-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use the exact opposite ... BIN at the highest recent auction price and "dutch" it every couple of days until someone bites. That method has worked out very well for me (sold almost $2k of gear in the last month alone). I used to list at $0.01 or $1 as auction but I felt I was not getting a fair price in the end for the "cultish" stuff ... example Vivitar Close Focus 28mm f2 - went for only $90. I wish I kept it at that price.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have bought batch-lots of photo gear in order to get 1 or 2 lenses. The rest are stashed for awhile, then carefully photographed and described and listed on eBay. So far (buying for 3.3 years; selling for 1.3 years) my profit margin is near 100%. I do best by buying unknown stuff cheap and selling it as known stuff, where it goes for not so cheap. I start all auctions at US$1 or less, and the free market bids prices up to astonishing levels. I can't complain. And I need to sell some more soon. Oh bother.
09-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
"how do you get rid of them?"

WHAT???

you mean you are supposed to sell stuff when you have LBA

Seriously, unless you are a fanatic, you buy what you need/want and no more. If you are a collector, the very nature of collecting defies selling too..

I have bought some lenses, both here and on EBAY, and obviously if you have a bunch to get rid of, the forum market place and E_bay are the best. If you are generous, give them to goodwill, who at least will sell them to someone. If you are really generous, give them to a forum member or trade them. Again, the market place is the best for that.
I think the ability to sell is at least very helpful.
  • Not everyone knows their needs so precisely that they can just buy those exact lenses and quit forever. So buy something, try it out and sell it if it doesn't work for you. If you buy and sell well, you can make money, but even at a cost, you learn about your needs and eventually settle on lenses that work.
  • You may have perfectly identified your needs, then something changed: kids, eyes, job, etc. Selling is necessary to fund the lenses for your new needs.
  • I look for chances to upgrade my lenses. Today I was bidding on the AF version of one lens I use a lot. If I could get it for the right price, I'd have more features. To complete the deal, I'd have to sell the older version. Today didn't work out but it did last week.
  • I actually like selling.

It's not the only way to approach the hobby, but it works for me.

Edit: This guy is selling to people who can't count to 8:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Multi-Coated-Takumar-50mm-1-4-RARE-9-BLADE-APE...item3f0e138b92

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 09-20-2011 at 08:55 PM.
09-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

it's so tempting to ask a question "Can you teach me how to court?" lol
09-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Multi-...item3f0e138b92
Haha! Sellers like this... one might be tempted to report them. Thing is, someone is going to buy this lens, use the Buyer Protection option to file a "not as described" and get to have their cake and eat it too (refund plus the lens). I'm not really condoning such behaviour, but when it's such an obvious scam... you just know they're going to get out-scammed.
09-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

400 for 28/2?
i better wait for a better deal.
Kiron 28/2 is cheaper of course...
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 RARE 9 BLADE APERTURE M42 screw | eBay
"Item has been removed"