Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
A preset is a manual aperture lens with 2 aperture rings one to set the final F stop and one that opens and closes the aperture
Oh! now I know what you are talking about, i just bought a tele-lentar 135mm f 3.5 screw mount lens and was pretty impressed with the two aperture rings. I dont know much about this lenz I just bought it because I thought it was pretty cool, it is in pretty good condition and I am just amazed at the build quality of the lens. Is this lens a good lens?

09-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Oh! now I know what you are talking about, i just bought a tele-lentar 135mm f 3.5 screw mount lens and was pretty impressed with the two aperture rings. I dont know much about this lenz I just bought it because I thought it was pretty cool, it is in pretty good condition and I am just amazed at the build quality of the lens. Is this lens a good lens?
I have an f2.8 tele lentar 135. The reason I like presets is that the aperture remains essentially round at all f stops usually resulting in very smooth hokey (out of focus rendering)
Another thing is thatthenpreset lenses have the aperture much closer tonthe frint ofnthe lens than a lens with some form of auto aperture again I attribute the hokey of the presets pattially to the aperture position.

In the lens club forum is a thread called "definitely not the flat earth society" dedicated to lenses with round apertures at all stops. I.e. Pesets
09-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have an f2.8 tele lentar 135. The reason I like presets is that the aperture remains essentially round at all f stops usually resulting in very smooth hokey (out of focus rendering)
Another thing is thatthenpreset lenses have the aperture much closer tonthe frint ofnthe lens than a lens with some form of auto aperture again I attribute the hokey of the presets pattially to the aperture position.

In the lens club forum is a thread called "definitely not the flat earth society" dedicated to lenses with round apertures at all stops. I.e. Pesets
Hmmmm maybe I will just hang on to my lentar lens and do some experimenting with it, and see just what it is you are talking about.
09-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The candidate lens values (rough numbers): The 105 has a good reputation and should be worth at least US$50. Vivitar sold various 135/2.8's, and MANY decent 135's exist from many makers; I don't think that the Viv name gives a value premium there, so I'd arbitrarily value it at US$25. And Vivitar sold at least 3 very different 200/3.5's that I know of, probably more. Some, labeled Auto, may also be worth around US$25. Mine is an OLD 2-ring preset with 18 iris blades and T-mount, possibly by Komine, worth somewhat more than US$50. (It'd better be -- I paid US$52!)

So, depending on exactly which Vivitars those are, they ARE worth at least US$100 IMHO. If any are presets, grab them. But be sure to bad-mouth them so you can talk the price down, eh?

Aperture mechanisms: I can't find a history of 2-ring presets, which predate auto-stopdown apertures with the iris placed in the lens rear. Earlier lens designs had basic iris control: spin the single ring to the desired aperture, with the iris placed near the middle of the lens body. I call these (probably incorrectly) 1-ring presets. I have and treasure such lenses; like the 2-ring presets, they usually have many iris blades, giving a round aperture and MONSTER BOKEH!

09-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you got the correct Vivitar, I don't even know if I got the correct ones.
I have 2 in 135f2.8, M42, both are very very sharp at f4 and f5.6, also sharp wide open, and almost no CA/PF.
Some says that the DOF of this lens is thin, but with correct distances, the lens delivers lovely sharpness and bokeh.

I also have the Viv 200f3.5 in M42. This one is heavy, sharp, but I ended with M200f4 more often than this one.
I got the Vivitars cheaply, just because the seller never use them, and prefers Canon AF lenses ;-)

Still, when the light condition allowed, my preference is K135f3.5 for color rending, M135f3.5 for compactness and weight, K135f2.5 for low light concert.
It is a bit resistance to mount the M42 adapter to use both type of mount.