Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
When will Pentax 12-35mm going to be released?

Hi guys,

I've saw the news that Pentax filed a patent for the 12-35mm back end last year but still no news lately about the release of the lens? How long would it actually take for Pentax to release them as that is such a good focal length and seeing that the 12-24mm has been out of stock for such a long time, is the new lens coming out soon?

09-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
Hi guys,

I've saw the news that Pentax filed a patent for the 12-35mm back end last year but still no news lately about the release of the lens? How long would it actually take for Pentax to release them as that is such a good focal length and seeing that the 12-24mm has been out of stock for such a long time, is the new lens coming out soon?
I don't think there's any reason to believe the release of a 12-35 is coming soon. Pentax files lots of patents for products that never end up coming to the market. I'm not saying that is or isn't the case with the 12-35, just that the fact that they filed for a patent doesn't mean a 12-35 is on its way. As for the 12-24 being out of stock for a while, that's somewhat typical for a lot of Pentax lenses as they're almost certainly produced in batches.
09-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been counting the days since I first read about the possibility of this lens coming out. Pentax, if you're reading this: step on it!

For me, the simple utility of this kind of ultra-wide-to-normal would be highly valuable. The flexibility of not having to switch between 15mm, 21mm, and 35mm lenses would be welcome. I now own the very nice DA 35mm 2.4 and I finally located a reasonably priced Sigma 24mm Ultra Wide II that seems to perform nicely. But to go wider with one package... *swoons*

Now don't misunderstand me, the Pentax 12-24mm has certainly earned its laurels, and I wouldn't mind owning one. However, I'm looking forward to the prospect of Pentax putting the newer DC auto focus motor in the 12-35mm instead of SDM (I've been burned by SDM in the past) and of course I'm optimistic Pentax can give a newer ultra-wide zoom some pixie dust resulting in a sharp, sharp, sharp lens.