Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New Coating (lens body) on Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 (unbox)

Just want to share with those who are interested in Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 that this lens now comes with new coating (lens body).
I, personally, prefer the new coating because I got serious paint chip on my Sigma 18-200mm.
However, the one I received has back focus issue and hopefully the replacement would be a perfect & sharp one .

Last edited by Sleepy; 09-22-2011 at 08:33 PM.
09-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you mean, new coatings? "This lens now comes with new coatings..." -- now, as opposed to two years ago? Your pics aren't relevant regarding coatings.
09-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I got a Sigma 30mm a few weeks ago, and it also had the new coating (@causey, Sleepy is referring to the smooth black plastic finish, instead of the old 'flocked' finish Sigma lenses used to have).

It may be easier to keep clean, but I've already almost dropped the lens because the new plastic is SO much more slippery than the old flocked finish. In fact I did drop it, but being the consummate ninja I managed to catch it with my other hand before it hit the floor
09-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, thanks---I was thinking of the glass coatings... And apologies to the OP.

Last edited by causey; 09-22-2011 at 08:05 AM.
09-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I always kinda liked the old "flocked" finish. It was (is) grippy and unique.
09-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photozone.de usually refers to the EX-lenses as having a "crinkle" finish. I've always liked this look and never had issues with keeping it clean.

My personal experience with newer Sigma lenses has been a bit of a let-down because of quality control issues. I'm quite happy with my Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, however, and it does feature the crinkle finish coating. I'm sorry to say my two legacy Sigmas are quite smooth; one is dull, the other glossy black. Luckily, they have enough tired-treaded rubber to be grippy.
09-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I always kinda liked the old "flocked" finish. It was (is) grippy and unique.
I like it too, however on some of my used Sigma EX lenses the old textured finish (I would not call it a coating to avoid confusion with lens coatings) has worn a bit in a spot or two, and when it wears, you can notice it. I would think the new Sigma EX finish, which is smooth but has a slightly rubbery feel to it (so it doesn't feel like it will slip at all) would wear better.

None of the Sigma EX lenses that have bought new have worn visibly at all... I am very careful with my lenses, so I don't know how much use, or exactly what kind of handling, my used EX lenses received before I bought them. (To give you an idea of how careful I am, I try to keep my ring finger on my left hand slightly off the lens so that my wedding band doesn't scratch the finish on any of my lenses).
09-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmm while my older Sigma Superwide AF 28mm f2.8 does have a rubbery finish, my 4-week-old Sigma 30/1.4 has a glossy hard plastic finish. There is nothing rubbery about it at all, it's very slippery!

09-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Although some professional reviewers have complained about the Sigma EX "crinkle" finish, I always liked it on my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX HSM II. I think it looks pretty sharp and unique, and provides a good grip. Before ordering the lens, I wasn't sure about the finish. It doesn't photograph well, so many photographs are not exactly representational, but in person I like how it looks.
09-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly, Sigma started to replace the older "crinkle" finish on their EX line of lenses with this newer smooth finish earlier this year. I actually like the newer smooth finish.
09-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

While I haven't seen the new smooth finish in person, I'd be almost sure I prefer it over the old EX crinkle finish. I've seen some battle scared crinkle Sigma lenses and it isn't a pretty picture. I also disliked the feel and difficulty to keep clean of the crinkle lenses I've owned in the past. Good for Sigma... maybe I'll consider them in the future after I see one in person.
09-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
What do you mean, new coatings? "This lens now comes with new coatings..." -- now, as opposed to two years ago? Your pics aren't relevant regarding coatings.
I am sorry to use the confusing word, coating, here.
What I mean "new coating" is the new smooth finish on the lens body instead of the previous crinkle one.

Last edited by Sleepy; 09-23-2011 at 09:56 AM.
09-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
Hmm while my older Sigma Superwide AF 28mm f2.8 does have a rubbery finish, my 4-week-old Sigma 30/1.4 has a glossy hard plastic finish. There is nothing rubbery about it at all, it's very slippery!
I handled the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM at Hunt's Photo show earlier this year, and I would not call it glossy or slippery, I would call it smooth and matte.
09-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've got a new Sigma 50mm F1.4 and it has the smooth finish. I find it a little slippery and combined with the diameter of the lens with the lens hood reversed it can be a little awkward to hang on to. Great lens though all the same. My Sigma 8-16mm has very 'dry' matte finish on the lens body what is visible of it. The bulk of that lens is mainly the focus and zoom rings so I doubt it'd make all that much difference in this case what finish it had. The smooth finish seems to be in keeping with current trends though.
09-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

And here's some comparison images of the two different types of finish, for those who aren't quite sure of what we're talking about.

The old, "crinkle" EX finish:

This newer EX finish. Smooth, but definitely not glossy (look at the rear lens cap for glossy), I wouldn't exactly call it matte either though: