Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
OS or SR?

Just got in my first Sigma lens. 70-200mm/f2.8 EX DG OS HSM and it looks great (and feels heavy). Just some first shots playing around, so nothing serieous, but I have the idea that SR in camera works better then the OS in the lens. Is it just me, or do I have to adjust to the new system or are there more people with that idea? Or even measurements? I'm using it on K-5.

09-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

My impression (18-25 OS HSM) is that the OS works better at the longer FLs, and SR at the shorter. I like having the stabilized image of the OS in the viewfinder at the longer FLs.
09-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Measurements were conducted on an Oly E520 using 50mm and 150mm lenses:
Image Stabilization Test: Olympus E-520 SLR Body - SLRgear.com!

"The bottom line on the Olympus E-520's IS system is that it turned in a superb performance, very much on par with the best lens-based IS systems we've looked at."

A number of threads and discussion at PF suggests that SR and OS are very close and comparable. Possibly one thrust could be that lens OS is better at longer focal length and camera SR better at shorter focal length.

When using several lenses, I think that the camera SR is impler as you do not need to reconfigure the camera. (As a reminder, the camera SR and lens OS cannot work together: one must be switch off.) On the other hand, if you use a single lens, the lens OS could be used to see a shake-reduced view in the viewfinder.

Lastly I saw no result nor test on Pentax K-7 or K-5 to date.

Hope that the comment will help.
09-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Unless you're wielding a 300mm or a 500mm, I would stick to SR as it's just as effective (from my experience) and uses less power.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having posted a shot hand held with my K7 at 1/40 on a 510 mm lens and TC combo, OS does not really seem that appealing, except as previously posted, the idea of a stable image in the viewfindr and perhaps presented to the AF sensor may be mired important
09-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Again?

I use SR because:

According to Sigma, the lens can be damaged if left on while changing,
I like to see how stable I can get before pushing the button, and
I forget to turn SR on when I use a lens without OS...
09-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yup, from me too:

Longer focal lengths [150mm <] = OS
Shorter focal lengths [< 150mm] = SR

09-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Do you still have the DA*200/2.8 RoN..???? Not happy with it?
09-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive posted this many, many times before

SMC Pentax 300F4 plus SMC-F 1.7x AF TC shot at 1/40th hand held, shake reduction on, free standing (i.e. me standing upright), no leaning on anything else, holding the camera in my hands.

this is a 100% crop out of my K7

Personally, I don't think OS would do any better
09-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Do you still have the DA*200/2.8 RoN..???? Not happy with it?
No I was able to return it and use the funds for this lens. It was to slow to focus for my use, but it is a spectacular lens in sharpness. I will buy a DA*200mm/f2.8 SDM-II when it comes out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ive posted this many, many times before

Personally, I don't think OS would do any better
Personally I think I can't make such a picture with a long shuttertime like that at all.
09-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I personally just leave SR on and OS off (I've actually taped over the OS switch on my lens with OS, and stuck a piece of plastic in there so that it absolutely can't be switched on), more as a matter of practicality and ease of use; i.e. I don't have to fumble around switching either one on/off, as I KNOW what is on and what is off.

Last edited by pop4; 09-23-2011 at 04:23 AM.
09-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Personally I think I can't make such a picture with a long shuttertime like that at all.
just don't drink coffee

it is all a question of being relaxed, I will have to admit this is as far as I can push the envelope, and the point has been discussed many many times on the forum, it is all about technique.

I would agree that SR has made the image possible, but all SR did was correct for the parts of my technique i did not have control of at the time.

SR or OS is a good tool, and in many instances can help someone with bad technique to get an image that would not otherwise be possible, but it really rewards someone with good technique to start with. In my opinion if you have good technique, IS is better only because you only purchase it once (with each body)

As I said earlier however, I can also see where OS may help on focus accuracy, because the image presented to the focus detector is stable. Vertical shake especially can cause huge focus errors at a distance with a tele lens because you move from foreground to subject to background for example as the lens shakes up and down.
09-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

No I was able to return it and use the funds for this lens. It was to slow to focus for my use, but it is a spectacular lens in sharpness. I will buy a DA*200mm/f2.8 SDM-II when it comes out.
Really? I've found that the DA* 200mm AF is quite a bit faster than the Sigma 70-200mm (but I haven't tried the OS version).

btw, how does the Sigma 70-200mm OS compare in IQ at 200mm against the DA* 200mm?
09-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
btw, how does the Sigma 70-200mm OS compare in IQ at 200mm against the DA* 200mm?
Don't know yet. I only know the DA* is perfect.
09-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't know yet. I only know the DA* is perfect.
Let me know what you find out!