Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cleaning fungus out of SMC Takumar 200mm f/4, I ALMOST did it

Hi, please help me with a little thing, tonight I decided to take this tele lens apart myself, because it had a nice amount of fungus on the inside. I used this guide to disassemble it. Well, I did get to the bare bone, I did clean the fungus off, but now I can't seem to wipe off my own fingerprints and finger oils and can't get the elements impecably clean as they should be. I did however find on the net a product called ROR (residual oil remover), which I think is exactly what I need. Now I don't want it online, because I just can't wait a week for it to arrive. So here is my local photography shop's website: now please help me choose the product from this list that would get the job done. Please bear with me if it's right under my nose and I'm not seeing it, but it's 3 o'clock in the morning and I would like to get some sleep, so tomorrow I can just check your answers and go to the shop right away. Sorry for my hurried post, but this is what you get when you're overly excited about your first semi-succesful repair attempt

09-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Try... well first you will need...
Surgical gloves
Small dishes, but big enough to accommodate the elements
Distilled water
Standard glasses cleaning spray or lens cleaning liquid

Gloves on, soap the lens, dip in first dish of distilled, drip dry, next dish, drip dry, last dish you slowly dunk it in and lift it out slowly as to allow surface tension to remove the water. You should end up with a very clean lens... add extra raises if the soap is a little strong.
09-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi again Mystery Onion, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. It's just that something in your list of instructions got me a little confused: how many dishes do I need? If three, should all of them be with distilled water? Can't I just keep a dish and dip the lens three times in it? And by "soap", you mean the cleaning liquid, not bare soap, do you?
09-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Yes three... at least. The reason for so many is to allow the soap to stick to the dish and I've used 10 ounce ice cream dishes and a standard spray cleaner for anti-reflect coated eyeglasses. You could make the first rinse a quick dump from the bottle of distilled, but the dishes seem to work best to keep things under control so you don't loose element somewhere. The last rinse looked factory clean... as long as the room isn't too dusty.

09-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it didn't work quite so well, and I'll try to explain why. Basically after spraying the lens element, I dipped it into a bowl of distilled water, and some of the soap (not all) got off and spread in the water, rendering it unusable for further use. Then after letting it dry, there would still remain some residue on the lens which wouldn't come off even if I kept doing this process. I quickly realised that I hadn't enough distilled water for this method, so I tried to do my own: spray the lens, clean it under warm tap water, then breathe on it and clean it with a lens tissue. All looked good and I thought everything was OK, but then when reassembling, I discovered that I left a ton of dust on the elements, and that on some there was a thin film of residue which could be seen in direct light and which would undoubtedly flare in real-life conditions.
I had some other problems too at reassembly: I accidentally took apart the thing that controls infinity focus. Do I have to take it outside, focus somewhere at infinity (I can spot nothing at infinity through my window) and fix it with the screwdriver in the street, or is there any other way?
And second question: the ball bearing responsible for the aperture clicks fell, and I don't think I know how to put it back on (haven't actually tried), since there is not a single hole it could stay in, but more?
Sorry again for the long and confused post.
09-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let's add some pictures to accompany the thread, until I get an answer
So this is what the fungus looked like:

And this is a closer look:

And this is a farther look:

And this is the aperture mechanism:

And this is the front element:

And these are the smudges that I couldn't get off the front element:

And this is a nice shot of the aperture blades:

And this is the element behind the front element:

And this is a rear view in which you can clearly see the smudges:

And this is the group that caused me some trouble until I managed to get it open:

And here it is from the back:

So that's all. I hope you enjoyed it. Now how do I make the elements clean as a whistle, rather than smudgy?

Last edited by kcobain1992; 09-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.
09-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use surgical gloves, Isopropyl alcohol on an earbud to remove the fungus, then eclipse on a pec pad to clean the lens. it worked so far
09-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Sorry, the method didn't work for you... yes I did have to change the water dishes for each element and it was laborious, but did give me clean lenses. The tap I avoid these days as my water leaves a faint residue. Warm water as in not exceeding 100 degrees is fine, but just look out for warm glass not fitting right away in cold metal.

Infinity... yes the distant target is the simpler way. No window that looks out somewhere?

Ball bearing... I put a little dab of grease on it to make it easier. I've positioned the ball just to the edge with the ring and slipped it in and closed the ring right behind.

09-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Let me understand. So "Eclipse" cleaner is what I need. Can you please tell me what it contains? Because I might use the actual substance instead.
By the way, I already have some isopropyl alcohol, and am a little afraid to put it on the lens. The super multi coating of these Takumar lenses should be fine with anything except acetone, right? Also, I might ask my cousin, who is a smoker, to borrow me some lighter fluid, but only if the results would be better than with isopropylic alcohol. What do you think?
09-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another question: would cotton wool be a good idea to clean the lens up? I know it leaves a lot of lints behind, but at least now I have lints on the lens and not cleaning marks
09-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to check out this link, and the various methods used Lens cleaning fluid - recommendation please! (Page 1) - Maintenance & Repairs - Manual Focus Forum
The manufacturer of Eclips says it contains methanol, not sure what percentage, and what else. I've used my method on a takumar 55/1.8, pentax f35-80mm, Cosina 100-500mm, and Sigma 70-210mm, without any problems. I am not sure if there might be any long term negative effects, using isopropyl alcohol, or any of the other options for that matter, as I only had that option in my small town when I started cleaning the lenses. The isopropyl alcohol remove the fungus without any problem, but leaves a hazy, streaky sort of residue. For that I use the Eclips, because it evaporates quickly. I just put a drop on the pec pad, and starting in the middle of the lens working in a circle outwards, one time, and that does it for me
09-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, unfortunately I had already read it, I think I have tried every single keyword possible on google without much success, because I'm still not fully enlightened yet. You know, now I'm so sad that I took this lens apart, because the IQ was already very, very good, I was just afraid that the fungus would degrade the coatings with time. Now I'm afraid I have done it worse. What I'm afraid is that if I spend another money (which I don't have) on methanol, that won't work either: the distilled water was practically wasted money.
09-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This has been the toughest part of working on lenses that I have ran into (you would think reassembly would be). I have a method that seems to work. After whatever cleaning method you use to get rid of the fungus, run the element under tap water (or pour distilled water liberally over it if you like. Then I pour regular drug store 70% isopropyl alcohol over it (dries faster and I am impatient). Set the element on a clean, never used, just opened micro fiber cloth. when all elements are ready, wash your hands very thoroughly with dish soap. Put on powder free latex or vinyl gloves clean out of the package (try to only handle the gloves by the rim that goes around your wrist). I usually have my wife help me put them on to avoid touching the fingers. Have several micro fiber cloths available. Try to only touch the back of the cloth with your hands, and only touch the element with the front of the cloth. Put a drop of regular lens cleaning solution on the corner of the cloth, and wipe it across the surface of the lens. Then immediately run the dry part of the cloth across the entire surface in one swipe if possible. If it got clean, do the other side with a new micro fiber cloth. If it didn't get clean, repeat with a new cloth. Use a good blower to get rid of any dust after. Never use the cloth twice. Always use a new cloth each time (I have cheated on that but sometimes you just smear what you just cleaned back on it). Sometimes you have to do it twice with clean cloths to get it clean. After cleaning, try to only tough the elements from the sides with clean gloves on while assembling. It has worked pretty well for me.

Some cloths work well and other don't. You can probably guess that you go through a lot of cloths. I use cheap cloths off ebay (probably the reason some work well and some don't). Yes I have to set parts aside waiting for more good cloths to arrive from china once or twice. I now try to keep plenty on hand. As far as rewashing and reusing the cloths, that's something I have been meaning to post asking about. So far I have only used new cloths on the inside of lenses.

These cloths worked pretty good but they were on sale for half price when I bought them (from this same buyer).
10pcs Microfiber Computer LCD Lens Cleaning Cloths Blue | eBay
30 cents a pop seems kind of expensive if you are only going to use them once though these are big enough you might get away with turning them and using them twice ore 3 times if you are daring. It seems most that have been listed as micro fiber were good regardless of if they were thick or thin, and most lens cloths that were not listed as micro fiber were terrible. I have 23 cloths on the way (hope they are good), but they were 6 cents ea at auction so no big gamble.
I have also considered getting regular rolls of generic micro fiber cloths (I have seen some general purpose automotive ones cheap locally that looked soft). I doubt I would try them out on a good lens first but if I cut them up I could come out maybe 5 cents a square (no idea if cutting them would generate a lot of lint).

I hope some of those ideas help out a bit. Its really a pain in the but to get them together clean, isn't it?
09-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Small update: I have finally found what altopiet suggested, but the price is a little too steep for me right now (for 50 lei/$15, I could have had this lens cleaned professionally), but in a couple of days it's my birthday so I might actually have the funds to spend on this miracle cleaning solution. By the way, just FYI, I've heard that methanol is highly poisonous and that a dose of 50ml/30g of this liquid is capable of instantly blinding a person and killing them, because it attacks the central nervous system. What makes it worse is that under normal circumstances it is hardly distinguishable from ethanol, the common alcohol we are used to. What makes it even worse, is that the lethal doses of methanol are cumulative: if you drink 30ml of it today and 20ml of it tomorrow, you're still gonna die
OK, enough of that :P
09-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
What makes it even worse, is that the lethal doses of methanol are cumulative: if you drink 30ml of it today and 20ml of it tomorrow, you're still gonna die
I have a suggestion: don't drink it.