Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Police Department.

DA 40 is a unique lens in my opinion.
I don't know what it is, really. But that lens seems to know what I like.
It hits my spot more so than any other lenses I own and used.
But at the same time, other limited lenses I own and or used in the past does different things in a different way that always makes one go, "wow".

09-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
Forum Member

I have both. They are indeed two different beasts, but certainly are both very capable in their own ways. I prefer the 77 because I tend to favour short telephotos above all else. I have found 40mm a tricky focal length to really appreciate on crop, but I am getting used to it. That said, the pancake is impossibly small and is capable of bitingly sharp results. It is also quite resistant to aberrations, a major strength over the 77. The latter has a tendency toward purple fringing that disturbed me at first, although I have come to simply accept it as a limitation that can be corrected in post or avoided altogether with some care. Aside from that, it exhibits beautiful contrast, and of course, delivers a depth of field shallow enough for much creative application. It is also simply picturesque when mounted on my MX or K-5!

You have asked a somewhat open-ended question, but I hope these thoughts shed a bit of light on the two lenses. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
09-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fact that the DA40 can be compared against the FA43 and FA77 is impressive enough imo. It's a pancake and certain concessions have to be made to accommodate the small size.

I have a DA40 finally arriving in a few days and I'm pretty excited about it.
09-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
A recent relevant thread is :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/158432-series-best.html

In another review by a photographer (sm-02-05-02), he concluded:
"The very best AF SLR lenses made today are the Pentax [FA] Limiteds. There are only three, and they have focal lengths apparently chosen by means of occultish numerology: there's a [FA] 31mm f/1.8 wide, a [FA] 43mm f/1.9 "true" normal, and a [FA] 77mm f/1.8 short tele." [...]
"Yet all things considered, the 77mm may be the best lens of the three
"

I do not have either lenses, but I would love the DA40mm of its compact size (eg for street photography) while the FA77 mm is a FA, a tempting lens of high reputation...

Food for thoughts...
That article on LuminousLandscape is like 8 years old.....so we can't be sure if his conclusions are still valid. In my own experience I think DA70 is a better lens than FA77, at least my copy of DA70 is sharper, focuses much faster and more reliable than my FA77 was.