Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA 21 Ltd. Question

Hi,
Today I received my DA21 from a local auction site in Japan. I went out for test shots and realized two issues:
First if all, the front barrel is firm and there is no play. (I remember reading about lousy front barrels.) However, as I rotate the focus ring, there is a little sound as if something is being scratched inside. (My DA70 has a very smooth and silent focusing. Though its front barrel is not as firm.)

More important problem is that, when I try to focus something far away, such as a tree or a building, the lens hunts and K10D stops trying to focus and the green light starts blinking. When I half press the shutter once more, it focuses without any problem.

Are they normal issues with DA21? Cosmetically, the lens is in good condition and it has a 5 year extended warranty.
Do you recommend a return or send the lens to Pentax for test or just use as it is?

12-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alib99 Quote
when I try to focus something far away, such as a tree or a building, the lens hunts and K10D stops trying to focus and the green light starts blinking.
I don't know if that is normal, but my lens 21L has done that since I first bought it. It would go into the "can't focus" mode when it hit the infinity stop, even though the my lens focuses past infinity. I think that problem went away since I messed around with the focus screws on my K10D, but now I manual focus the 21 for anything more than 30 feet away.
12-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you walter.

I uploaded some test shots. I cannot say I am impressed with these. (Out of camera jpeg, image tone normal, saturation +1, sharpness +2, contrast +1)
http://www.pbase.com/bozbey/image/89955689/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/bozbey/image/89955705/original.jpg

What do you think about these shots?

Thank you...
12-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #4

It's hard for me to comment on the quality since I only shoot in RAW mode so I don't know what the JPEGs should look like. I think the focus is set too far back on the first image, and it would be a lot sharper if the focus was closer. The second one seems better. The chromatic aberration is the same as my lens.

I would recommend manually focusing some similar shots and checking those out. Start around infinity, where the lens stops, and back it off about a milimeter at a time. I think you'll find that you can get sharper pictures than when using autofocus. Make note of the focus range where the picture is sharp, then check to see if your autofocus is finding the same spot. I'm guessing that it's focusing too far back.

12-06-2007, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alib99 Quote
Hi,
Today I received my DA21 from a local auction site in Japan. I went out for test shots and realized two issues:
First if all, the front barrel is firm and there is no play. (I remember reading about lousy front barrels.) However, as I rotate the focus ring, there is a little sound as if something is being scratched inside. (My DA70 has a very smooth and silent focusing. Though its front barrel is not as firm.)

More important problem is that, when I try to focus something far away, such as a tree or a building, the lens hunts and K10D stops trying to focus and the green light starts blinking. When I half press the shutter once more, it focuses without any problem.

Are they normal issues with DA21? Cosmetically, the lens is in good condition and it has a 5 year extended warranty.
Do you recommend a return or send the lens to Pentax for test or just use as it is?
My first of three 21 Ltd's had this problem..NOT GOOD. This is NOT normal. Mine put a lot of strain on the AF mechanism of the camera. I kept mine for one day and sent it back.

Ben
12-11-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you benjikan.
I returned the lens. The seller refunded my money.

Now, I have a bigger problem. Should I go and get a new DA21 or get the DA12-24
12-11-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Da 12-24

Since more reliable and f4 is not far from f3.2, then you get convience with a zoom.