Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One leg at a time! No, no, disregard that; that's for pants.

Ya take whipped cream, a banana an' a feather . . . whoops, not that again.

Umm, let's see now . . . ya tie the goat . . . nope, not that either.

Uhhh, the lens thingy . . . oh, just do it!

That's what they invented vacuum cleaners for.

H2

09-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
have the new lens ready to go, rear cap up. hold your camera with the old lens pointing down. twist the old lens off. switch the rear lens cap from the new lens to the old lens. twist on the new lens.
What he said, exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Pentax's design of locating the lens release button right where your right ring finger is makes lens changing so much easier than the other systems with the lens release on the "wrong" side.
Amen to that...

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
I didn't even know other cameras used the wrong side for the lens release buttons. What does that say about me?
Fanboy :P
09-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #18

I shoot only with fixes and usually have 3-4 with me. The DA limiteds bug fits 2 or 3 small fixes and a bigger tele is in the separate pocket somewhere. Lens switching takes 5-10 seconds. It works best with small DA limited fixes that you can hold by 2-3 fingers and have the rest helping to mount/dismount the other lens. Once I switched the lens in Yosemite when a bear was standing 7 meters ahead and patiently and curiously waiting.
09-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ideally, you have a reliable, well-trained and lovely assistant who serves as an extra pair of hands. My daughter (bless her heart) sometimes serves in this capacity but, unfortunately, she has a life of her own.

09-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Remember to turn the camera OFF before you do anything else. Leaving the camera on will attract dust to the sensor. Otherwise, do whatever works for you

Make sure the lens is fully mounted. I once failed to turn my 50 Summilux fully to lock on my Leica M. I ended up watching it tip out of the camera and fall to the pavement. $500 and 3 months later I got the repaired lens back from Leitz.
09-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
With 2 small lenses of the same size, often change them with 1 hand (left hand). My right hand stays on the camera grip, because I use only a wrist strap.

I can hold the "new" lens in my left hand with thumb, index finger & middle finger with the lens mount rear cap off, pointing outwards. The red dot is aligned near my thumb.
Then I grip the mounted lens palm up from the under side, wrapping my pinky and ring finger around it.
Press the release with my right ring finger and twist the lens off, making sure I have a secure hold before I separate away from the body.
Then I swing the my left hand around so that my thumb (and the dot) is lined up with the mounting point and twist the lens on.
I can then take the front cap off the newly mounted lens with my fingertips.
Put the old lens in the bag with mount upwards and then put on the rear cap.

Using this method the camera body is only open for a few seconds. The whole process isnt realy much faster though because for 1/2 of the time I am holding 2x the $$$ worth of lenses in one hand so grip & movments are more deliberate.

This works well when swapping between all the 49mm ltds, or manual 50's but I think the removing 40mm might be tricky because its so thin you mightn't grip it enough.

With a size mismatch it's more difficult but do-able as long as your left hand is dextrous enough.

I should add that I am left handed so I have more confidence in my left hand than the right. It also helps to have longish fingers and normal sized hands. I imagine it would be difficult if you are a sumo wrestler.
I've been doing it this way since this video. . .

I can go between the Pentax 18-135 and Sigma10-20 this way, but it is a stretch. Primes are ridiculously fast.
09-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with those smaller lenses you can do most of the changing within the confines of your bag to minimize dust and block some wind. regardless, always try to change over a table or soft surface in case you drop something.
i do the one handed method stacking two lenses together front to front and it is very quick. just go slow at first and pay attention to what you are doing and it will be easy to quickly swap so you dont miss the shots the zoom users are grabbing.

here's me:

i recall this video was showing that it should take just a few seconds(ie. <10sec) to make the change and i was demonstrating small and larger lenses.

a couple notes, i keep the front caps on the whole time and hoods reversed when possible. when i am outside, i do this over my opened sling bag and aim my camera down. I also use my right hand to remove the rear cap just before swapping.

Last edited by mikeSF; 09-26-2011 at 09:20 AM.
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

SHOWOFF !

(I think I'll practice that when I get home).

09-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Wow, so much hand wringing over a fairly simple procedure.
I cap the lens that is coming off, remove that lens and put it front down on it's cap.
I take the lens I am going to mount, remove it's rear cap and mount it to the camera.
I then put the rear cap onto the lens I took off.
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Pentax's design of locating the lens release button right where your right ring finger is makes lens changing so much easier than the other systems with the lens release on the "wrong" side.
This.

It feels so much more secure while changing lens on the fly when the camera weight is resting on my hand. I have no problem changing lenses during the shoot.

I bring a small cloth to the private shoot and face down lenses with their front cap off. Rear caps are loosened to ensure fast change and to keep the dust out.
In a crowded area, my lenses are in my bag, securely fastened to my body. It's more bothersome, but there is no way I'm going to let my precious things get stolen while I'm looking away!
09-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
with those smaller lenses you can do most of the changing within the confines of your bag to minimize dust and block some wind. regardless, always try to change over a table or soft surface in case you drop something.
i do the one handed method stacking two lenses together front to front and it is very quick. just go slow at first and pay attention to what you are doing and it will be easy to quickly swap so you dont miss the shots the zoom users are grabbing.

here's me:

<video>

i recall this video was showing that it should take just a few seconds(ie. <10sec) to make the change and i was demonstrating small and larger lenses.

a couple notes, i keep the front caps on the whole time and hoods reversed when possible. when i am outside, i do this over my opened sling bag and aim my camera down. I also use my right hand to remove the rear cap just before swapping.

Yes, thats exactly it, as I was trying to describe (in many words).
I am a bit slower than that.

Yours one looks to be the best video too..
For interest I click a few other "lens change" videos on YT and the Canikon ones looks awkward. (some of the folk doing them are a bit weird too)
I never realised until now that Canon,Nikon,Sony,Pana all have the button on the "other" side.
09-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BendingPhotography Quote
I had my first limited lens (the DA 40mm) for a week now and I'm wondering how people switch lenses out and about; especially considering Pentax's Limited prime range. Is there any technique one should follow? Any tips and tricks with rear caps, dust and the like?
Also, does anyone else ever find it awkward having to switch lenses hurriedly in case the moment passes? i.e, I use my 40mm prime for EVERYTHING except if I need to do a closer macro or a wider landscape shot with the kit 18-55 lens; but I find it a bit hard having to swap lenses quickly, taking the photo, then swapping back ><.
Any advice? Or is this inevitable?
Here are a few better alternatives to changing lenses outdoors:

1) Zoom with the legs
2) Use a zoom lens
3) Use a second camera

You can get dust on the sensor changing lenses indoors as well, but it's nothing like the outdoors dust.
09-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
does the dust removal actually work?
09-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BendingPhotography Quote
does the dust removal actually work?
Yes..
09-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
Remember to turn the camera OFF before you do anything else. Leaving the camera on will attract dust to the sensor.
Is this yet another internet myth in the making ?

Why should the inert outer face of the low pass filter attract more dust when the camera is turned on ? The worst that might happen is that the comms between the camera and the lens gets screwed up.

Beside, peering down the lens opening of my K-7 it seems that those clever Pentax guys have built in this handy retractable metal cover over the sensor ...