Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Switching lenses, how does everyone do it?

I had my first limited lens (the DA 40mm) for a week now and I'm wondering how people switch lenses out and about; especially considering Pentax's Limited prime range. Is there any technique one should follow? Any tips and tricks with rear caps, dust and the like?
Also, does anyone else ever find it awkward having to switch lenses hurriedly in case the moment passes? i.e, I use my 40mm prime for EVERYTHING except if I need to do a closer macro or a wider landscape shot with the kit 18-55 lens; but I find it a bit hard having to swap lenses quickly, taking the photo, then swapping back ><.
Any advice? Or is this inevitable?

09-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
have the new lens ready to go, rear cap up. hold your camera with the old lens pointing down. twist the old lens off. switch the rear lens cap from the new lens to the old lens. twist on the new lens.
09-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having a top loading bag helps - i get my second lens ready, unscrew the first lens in the bag while facing the camera down, and then lift the camera and insert the second lens at the same time.
09-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the order of the action will not always remain the same, depending on who gives the advice.

But some basic rules should always be follow :

- keep the body "looking" on the ground (help to prevent dust)

- use one hand to unscrew one lense, and the other hand to prepare the second lense to screw.

- for the caps, it's up to you

09-25-2011, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I merely instruct my bearer, the faithful Ansel, as to which lens to mount on the backup body. Ansel is careful to air-bomb all dust from the body and brush all dust from the lens before mating them inside a dark-bag. Mixes a damn fine martini, too. Stirred, not shaken.
09-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thread moved from Pentax Lens Articles.
09-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax's design of locating the lens release button right where your right ring finger is makes lens changing so much easier than the other systems with the lens release on the "wrong" side.

I usually remove the lens cap from the new lens, focus on changing the lens and avoiding dropping anything, then putting the lens cap onto the old lens at the very end. Dust is a far smaller issue than drops

09-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Pentax's design of locating the lens release button right where your right ring finger is makes lens changing so much easier than the other systems with the lens release on the "wrong" side.
That's very true, but I don't think I've ever heard someone mentioned it before.

I started out on an Olympus e-510 and used it for about a year before switching to the Pentax K-x. Recently, I was using an Olympus e-420 for a few days, and was surprised at how much more awkward it was changing lenses with the button on the other side.
09-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by BendingPhotography Quote
does anyone else ever find it awkward having to switch lenses hurriedly in case the moment passes?
Sounds like a good case for a second body to me, welcome to CBA.
09-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
I didn't even know other cameras used the wrong side for the lens release buttons. What does that say about me?
09-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Don From The Radio Quote
I didn't even know other cameras used the wrong side for the lens release buttons. What does that say about me?
Try switching back and forth between Nikon (lens release on the wrong side) and Pentax (on the logically correct side). I've been using Pentax longer than I have Nikon (at least 33 years vs about 12 years) - let's just say I still hit the Depth of Field Preview button a lot more than I intend on the Nikon. I shot with Minolta for many years as well, but I think their release was on the same side as Pentax.

Going back to the original question - the more you change lenses the more you get used to it. I pretty much do what others have said. Pop the lens off the camera, switch back caps, and put new lens on. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I'll often just figure out a way to take a shot with whatever lens is on the camera, even if I'm carrying a bag full of lenses. Luckily for me, I only do this for fun.
09-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First, if I'm outside I figure out what direction the wind is coming from, and put my back to the wind, so my body provides some protection. I get the new lens ready (rear cap off, put somewhere easy to reach). Then I hold it in the right hand, use the right pinky to push the release button and twist the mounted lens with my left hand. As I remove the mounted lens with the left hand I put the new lens over the camera opening with my right hand, twisting it on, the camera body opening isn't exposed for more than an instant, and never completely (one lens covers it up as the other one exposes). While I have the camera more or less angled down, it isn't straight down. Then I take the lens in my left hand and put the rear lens cap on. I don't have much trouble with dust on the sensor using this method. I had to practice this method to be comfortable doing it this way, at first it seemed awkward and insecure (worried about dropping one of the lenses). However, it's now second nature, not a big deal and I use the same method to change lenses like the DA*300 without issue.

I know what you mean about other camera systems. I once used my department's Nikon and found it very disorienting. It took me a while to figure out which hand would do what and even then I found it more awkward. Nice to know what the button I kept pushing (to no effect) does - had no idea it was a DOF preview button, so no wonder it didn't apparently do anything when I pushed it (trying to remove the lens).
09-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some good ideas. I don't think one wants to be in the middle of a windy day with dust blowing everywhich way on a dusty road or on a sandy ocean beach. So i try to pick where and when i change lenses (indoors under those conditions i would think)

This story may make you sick. I have a nephew who has a master's degree in religion (perhaps that explains his faith ), but he was complaining to my brother about the amount of dust on his sensor. Turns out that he was keeping his lenses in pockets without any cap on the body side of the lens. Turns out he hadn't made the connection between dust on lens leading to dust on sensor. Ah....
09-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

How I change lenses:

One post.

Another post.
09-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

With 2 small lenses of the same size, often change them with 1 hand (left hand). My right hand stays on the camera grip, because I use only a wrist strap.

I can hold the "new" lens in my left hand with thumb, index finger & middle finger with the lens mount rear cap off, pointing outwards. The red dot is aligned near my thumb.
Then I grip the mounted lens palm up from the under side, wrapping my pinky and ring finger around it.
Press the release with my right ring finger and twist the lens off, making sure I have a secure hold before I separate away from the body.
Then I swing the my left hand around so that my thumb (and the dot) is lined up with the mounting point and twist the lens on.
I can then take the front cap off the newly mounted lens with my fingertips.
Put the old lens in the bag with mount upwards and then put on the rear cap.

Using this method the camera body is only open for a few seconds. The whole process isnt realy much faster though because for 1/2 of the time I am holding 2x the $$$ worth of lenses in one hand so grip & movments are more deliberate.

This works well when swapping between all the 49mm ltds, or manual 50's but I think the removing 40mm might be tricky because its so thin you mightn't grip it enough.

With a size mismatch it's more difficult but do-able as long as your left hand is dextrous enough.

I should add that I am left handed so I have more confidence in my left hand than the right. It also helps to have longish fingers and normal sized hands. I imagine it would be difficult if you are a sumo wrestler.