Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Big Gun Fun--FA*600/4

A few images...partly to tease Clinton who is currently coveting this lens. The FA*600/4 is a really fun tool!

Well, it was a bit bright for good animal photos, even at dawn, but I had a hunch that there would be subjects to work...these were all shot in a couple hours on Saturday morning. Gosh it's nice to live here in Montana! And it's really nice to have the big lens!

The fighting animals are Mule Deer, the other deer are whitetails, there's a Hungarian Partridge and Bugling Bull Elk too. I shot 640 images and my 16 year old son took another 300--he got the fight shot with my big lens...that's a good one for the youngster (he mostly shot with a 300/4).

The elk shot isn't so good on it's own--too harsh on the shadows--but it shows the great bokeh of this lens...both front and back and those were at f7.1 to get snout to eyes in focus.
These are jpegs straight from the camera (K5) and resized. Yes, they could use some processing and any that may someday be submitted to a magazine will get processed...these are unsharpened to show you the potential from the lens pre-processing.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
A few images...partly to tease Clinton who is currently coveting this lens. The FA*600/4 is a really fun tool!

Clinton might be the one teasing you soon.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1658767-post96.html

Great shots, I particularly like the first one of the rutting and the last one of the 2 deer seemingly sizing each other up from a distance (not the the same pair though).
09-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes, Clinton is the "keeper of the telephotos" right now. I haven't seen a 1200 in 15 years. Very difficult to use as a field optic due to vibration issues. Almost requires a blind built with sand bags to keep it really steady. I have a very heavy trigger finger making supertelephoto work a bit dicey for me. I got out of the A* series a few years ago. A* colors are a bit cool for my liking but in the digital era that's easy enough to fix.