Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Thanks for posting these and bringing some sanity to this thread. I planned to do the same comparing the 10-20mm and the DA 15mm. The DA 15mm is very good but there is no magic. It's pretty clear in your shot how much changes in contrast occur in the CPL version.
Seriously, that's what you see in these? No one has claimed that the DA15 is magic. Just that a CPL is not necessary with it. These photos illustrate that beautifully. Plus, the "CPL version" is with another lens, so it's not a "version" at all.

09-27-2011, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
Hi guys,

Just want to know how many stops I need for ND filter for my 15mm limited.
A 10 stop for photos like these (15-30sec daytime exposures)

A 6 stop for photos like these (~1 sec daytime exposures)

A CPL for photos like these (just extends exposure by ~3 times & cut reflections)

09-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Just that a CPL is not necessary with it.
Look at these examples:

Souce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)

The lens could cost 10K$ and it would still not able to do what a polarizing filter can do.
09-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Seriously, that's what you see in these? No one has claimed that the DA15 is magic. Just that a CPL is not necessary with it. These photos illustrate that beautifully.
Not knocking the 15 ltd, with which I have no experience; clearly it's a great lens, very contrasty. But in the shots you posted, the CPL gives the clouds a "pop" the other shots don't have. Just a different effect.

09-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Not knocking the 15 ltd, with which I have no experience; clearly it's a great lens, very contrasty. But in the shots you posted, the CPL gives the clouds a "pop" the other shots don't have. Just a different effect.
...and I said that the sky is better in the shot with a CPL.
09-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Look at these examples:

Souce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)

The lens could cost 10K$ and it would still not able to do what a polarizing filter can do.
You've gone off the deep end. Of course, the DA15 cannot counteract reflections the way a CPL would. No lens can do that. You're picking specific situations to try and prove your point. If you're trying to compensate for problems that are known to be fixed by a CPL, then you have to use one. The point of this argument is that the DA15 does not require a CPL to achieve a satisfying level of contrast, and that using a CPL with it requires caution. To tell someone new to the lens anything else is doing them a disservice.
09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

...and I said that the sky is better in the shot with a CPL.
OK, and I got mixed up as to who posted the photos.

Also realized that this is not the first time the question has been asked by the OP ...
09-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

You've gone off the deep end. Of course, the DA15 cannot counteract reflections the way a CPL would. No lens can do that. You're picking specific situations to try and prove your point. If you're trying to compensate for problems that are known to be fixed by a CPL, then you have to use one. The point of this argument is that the DA15 does not require a CPL to achieve a satisfying level of contrast, and that using a CPL with it requires caution. To tell someone new to the lens anything else is doing them a disservice.
So basically you're saying "use a polarizer when you need it", good advice indeed

Seriously. Yes using a CPL on an ultra wide lens has some caveats. But it's not the same thing as saying the DA 15mm does not need a CPL.

Anyway there is enough information in this thread for people to decide by themselves if they need it or not.

09-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

So basically you're saying "use a polarizer when you need it", good advice indeed
No, smart aleck, I'm saying "use a CPL when you have a specific situation that only a CPL can cure, otherwise you really don't need one with this lens". Clear enough for ya?
09-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

No, smart aleck, I'm saying "use a CPL when you have a specific situation that only a CPL can cure, otherwise you really don't need one with this lens". Clear enough for ya?
You're saying the same thing.
09-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
You're saying the same thing.
Nope. CPLs are needed with most lenses anytime you're shooting in bright, sunny conditions to maintain saturation and contrast. That's not the case with the DA15, and that's what people mean when they say it shoots like it has a polarizer built-in.
09-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nope. CPLs are needed with most lenses anytime you're shooting in bright, sunny conditions to maintain saturation and contrast. That's not the case with the DA15, and that's what people mean when they say it shoots like it has a polarizer built-in.
More like a half-way polarizer built in.
09-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
More like a half-way polarizer built in.
Fine.
09-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't want to upset you. Just that what you're saying is incorrect and misleading. DA 15mm has no "half-way polarizer built-in". In the Audiobomber samples, you could see clearly almost zero difference between the 15 and the 16-45 shots without CPL. I've shot the 10-20, 12-24 and 15. There are not much differences between them at the same focal length. Now the CPL does make a huge difference. Even on the DA 15mm. It's easy enough to prove in pictures. The contrast brought by a CPL is also the result of cutting reflections. Particularly easy to see on any foliage for example. Reflections are everywhere, on metal, on roads, water, etc: "problems that are known to be fixed by a CPL". "Problems" that are actually everywhere. That's why I was teasing you with the "use a polarizer when you need it". The DA 15mm may show better contrast due to a good flare resistance but that's another thing completely than a polarizing effect.
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I don't want to upset you. Just that what you're saying is incorrect and misleading. DA 15mm has no "half-way polarizer built-in". In the Audiobomber samples, you could see clearly almost zero difference between the 15 and the 16-45 shots without CPL. I've shot the 10-20, 12-24 and 15. There are not much differences between them at the same focal length. Now the CPL does make a huge difference. Even on the DA 15mm. It's easy enough to prove in pictures. The contrast brought by a CPL is also the result of cutting reflections. Particularly easy to see on any foliage for example. Reflections are everywhere, on metal, on roads, water, etc: "problems that are known to be fixed by a CPL". "Problems" that are actually everywhere. That's why I was teasing you with the "use a polarizer when you need it". The DA 15mm may show better contrast due to a good flare resistance but that's another thing completely than a polarizing effect.
I'm not misleading anybody. You're just being too literal. I stand by my assessment. The 15 gains less with a polarizer than most any other lens. That's a fact. Whatever attribute causes this effect is inconsequential. We've worn this subject out and will obviously never agree, so let's just stop trying to convince each other, ok?