Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm surprised they couldn't notch the filter with a dremel 180 deg across the ring, and use a flatbar to unscrew it ... simple and efficient, with the bonus of having a pre-notched filter if that ever happens again.

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
This was probably just my bad luck.

I bought the Hoya 400 ND filter. It got stuck on the DA 15mm. I tried every trick to get it off. No luck. Took it to a repair shop. They said they could not remove it without destroying the filter. Had no choice. They got it off by breaking the filter. I was told this rarely happens. The lens is fine though. Have not tried another ND filter yet. Because of the built in hood of the lens, if a filter gets stuck its a lot harder to get it off...

09-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I change my mind. I think you should stack two CPLs, a UV and an ND filter on the 15, then put a 1.7 TC behind it. Yes, that's the ticket.
09-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
The 15 gains less with a polarizer than most any other lens. That's a fact.
I'd like to *see* this so-called fact.
09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I change my mind. I think you should stack two CPLs, a UV and an ND filter on the 15, then put a 1.7 TC behind it. Yes, that's the ticket.
Thats a great idea, I need a 25.5mm to fill the gap between my DA15 and DA35.

DA-F-AFA 25.5mm f6.8 anyone? just 1100 USD on ebay.

99% of the time my DA15 is naked and thats the way Iike it.
CPL does seem to affect the flare, and the IQ (noticable at full res) but at midday in summer when the light is flat it does improve the output and that is worth putting it on.
ND filters only get a run for special effects. I'm sure attaching a filter would be better than stopping down to f22 and even then f22 might not be enough in bright condtions.

09-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Here's my rub with your sarcasm.

Nobody is suggesting that a CPL or an ND should be used all of the time. The OP asked a question specifically about waterfalls. And the peanut gallery stated that ND's and or CPL's were not necessary because of the following reasons:

A) The DA15 has a built in CPL (his words). Not true. I'll accept that it's less necessary but it definitely won't handle glare off of wet surfaces.

B) Wait until the light is better. This is ideal if possible but many waterfalls are located in inconvenient places. Typically I need to take a multi-hour motorcycle trip followed by a multi-hour hike to reach a waterfall. It doesn't matter if the light is perfect, overcast or extremely bright I have a limited window of time to take photos. And I'm taking photos in the sun instead of planning another long trip to the same waterfall. Although I do make plans to return eventually.

C) Adjust the aperture. This is only true if you have perfect lighting but it still might not be enough to get the shutter speed that you want.
09-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #36

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well I didn't expect my thread to start a war about the need for filters here...Anyways, I think I'll go with both CPL and ND for the 15mm. Just need to be careful with skies, what do I have to watch out for? The Marumi Super DHG CPL looks like it's the one to go for since many said it's good.

For the ND, I think the 10 stops are better to get the dreaming skies feel, bit worried about the Hoya ND400 in case it gets stuck with the 15mm. Are these ok for the 15mm? Or are there any good 6 stops available?

B+W 49mm 49 106 E 3.0 1000x ND Neutral Density 1066151 | eBay
Hoya HMC 49mm ND-400 (Multi-Coated) Neutral Density | eBay
09-28-2011, 03:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Depending on where the sun is located relative to the direction you are shooting, the polariser darkens the sky unevenly when used on a wide angle such as the DA15. The effect is greatest when you are shoot in a direction 90degrees to the rays of the sun. Fine for longer lenses with only a few degrees angle of view but the DA15's field is about 85(ish) degrees wide.

Better explained here:
Polarizers

Infromation about ND filters I posted this before in the DA15 thread.
"The Ultimate Easy Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | RedBubble
09-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catastrophe Quote
Well I didn't expect my thread to start a war about the need for filters here...Anyways, I think I'll go with both CPL and ND for the 15mm. Just need to be careful with skies, what do I have to watch out for? The Marumi Super DHG CPL looks like it's the one to go for since many said it's good.

For the ND, I think the 10 stops are better to get the dreaming skies feel, bit worried about the Hoya ND400 in case it gets stuck with the 15mm. Are these ok for the 15mm? Or are there any good 6 stops available?

B+W 49mm 49 106 E 3.0 1000x ND Neutral Density 1066151 | eBay
Hoya HMC 49mm ND-400 (Multi-Coated) Neutral Density | eBay
You know wars about anything can happen on a forum

To save money I would skip the 6-stops and go directly to the 6-10 stops. Why? Because you can easily cover 3 stops by bumping the ISO on the 10-stops. It's impossible to go below ISO 80 and f/22 when you really need slow shutter speed in full sunlight.

OTOH, you'll also need a 2-3 stops ND because the 10 stops are difficult to use. The viewfinder becomes unusable, the AE and AF won't work except in Liveview (this is a case where Liveview is hugely useful). And they also, as already noted, have a color cast, not too difficult to correct if shooting raw.

For CPL filters, thin filters are better for wide angle to avoid vignetting. The Marumi CPL (The DHG *super*) fits the bill.

09-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Depending on where the sun is located relative to the direction you are shooting, the polariser darkens the sky unevenly when used on a wide angle such as the DA15. The effect is greatest when you are shoot in a direction 90degrees to the rays of the sun. Fine for longer lenses with only a few degrees angle of view but the DA15's field is about 85(ish) degrees wide.

Better explained here:
Polarizers
Interestingly you'll note that he says that, after all, "Nevertheless, I like the effect." !
09-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Interestingly you'll note that he says that, after all, "Nevertheless, I like the effect." !
And I agree. I've never worried about lighter/deeper blue skies with a CPL. In fact I never even paid any attention to the effect until I heard someone complain about it in the forums. More importantly, non-photographers don't object to it. Unevenly lit skies still look natural, A polarizer exaggerates the effect in a bright blue sky, but it is not objectionable to the majority of people IME. Most just comment favorably on the the deep blue that a CPL brings out.

No way I would argue that the 16-45+CPL photo I posted above has a more realistic looking sky than without CPL, but what are we after, art or reality? (In the case of the photos I posted, neither, it was a lens test).
09-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
No way I would argue that the 16-45+CPL photo I posted above has a more realistic looking sky than without CPL, but what are we after, art or reality?
Realistic enough for those of us who routinely wear polarized sunglasses.
09-28-2011, 05:38 AM   #42

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
hmm, I have heard not to get a thin one for the 15mm. Anyone kind enough to post what filters they use for their CPL and ND and where to get them? I live in Australia. There's a few different versions of the Marumi CPL. I'll be using the filters on a 35mm f2.4 too.
09-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #43
Veteran Member

There's a few different versions of the Marumi CPL. I'll be using the filters on a 35mm f2.4 too.
For Marumi, the one you want is the DHG super. The DHG (not super) is OK but not as good, and the WPC (water protect coating) is to be avoided (although I have one and it works just fine on my DA* 50-135mm).

MaxSaver.net (Honk-Kong based I believe) is also a good place to get filters at good prices.
09-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
hmm, I have heard not to get a thin one for the 15mm. Anyone kind enough to post what filters they use for their CPL and ND and where to get them? I live in Australia. There's a few different versions of the Marumi CPL. I'll be using the filters on a 35mm f2.4 too.
B&W 49mm Thin CPL is no good for the DA 15mm, won't attach.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-28-2011 at 06:30 AM.
09-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #45
Veteran Member

anyone have some feedback or suggestions for which brand / model CPL and ND filter will work with
DA15
DA21
FA43
FA77
with no issues with putting the hood on as well, and no issues with vignetting (esp. with the DA15)

thanks!