Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is this an adaptall mount?

I had thought that only tamrons were adaptall but this one is a cpc? Is this just a straight nikon mount or and adaptall?

Attached Images

09-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I had thought that only tamrons were adaptall but this one is a cpc? Is this just a straight nikon mount or and adaptall?
That's definitely not an Adaptall mount. The bayonet on Adaptall mounts is female on the lens and male on the adapter. By the pictures I have seen that looks like a Nikon mount, but I'm not one hundred percent certain.
09-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The notch in the bayonet blade, opposite the aperture flag, is the giveaway -- it's Minolta MC/MD.
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. The mount looked kind of strange like it was removable and I didn't know what adaptall looked like so I thought it might be that. I passed on it anyway. I need to quit buying so many lenses, especially ones that require mount conversion. I have many that are waiting to be used and tried out as well as several waiting on mount conversion already (some partially converted).

09-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I need to quit buying so many lenses, especially ones that require mount conversion. I have many that are waiting to be used and tried out as well as several waiting on mount conversion already (some partially converted).
Minolta can be very hard to convert to PK. I haven't succeeded yet. In my early eBay frenzy days, when I had a good inheritance to spend (Thanks for dying, Mom!) I bought a sh!tload of lenses of many different mounts. Oops. I held on to some for a couple years and sold them for a good profit, but I learned. I now avoid all but OM, C/Y, Nikon, Exakta, and M42 and M39. Some Argus C3 lenses aren't too difficult. Some mountless projector lenses can be dealt with. Petri requires a bit of work but is do-able. But Minolta, Konica, Leica, Canon, Kiev, X-Fujinon, Pentacon bayonet -- these just aren't worth the trouble.
09-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Minolta can be very hard to convert to PK. I haven't succeeded yet. In my early eBay frenzy days, when I had a good inheritance to spend (Thanks for dying, Mom!) I bought a sh!tload of lenses of many different mounts. Oops. I held on to some for a couple years and sold them for a good profit, but I learned. I now avoid all but OM, C/Y, Nikon, Exakta, and M42 and M39. Some Argus C3 lenses aren't too difficult. Some mountless projector lenses can be dealt with. Petri requires a bit of work but is do-able. But Minolta, Konica, Leica, Canon, Kiev, X-Fujinon, Pentacon bayonet -- these just aren't worth the trouble.
Where did you run into problems with minolta lenses? The few I have done didn't seem to have any major issues?
09-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Where did you run into problems with minolta lenses? The few I have done didn't seem to have any major issues?
Hmmm, maybe I just got started wrong. I found an MD-mount Kiron-made zoom CHEAP! to practice on, but with its base removed (ready to be replaced with a wide-flange M42-PK adapter) I couldn't find a way to keep the aperture engaged -- it defaulted to staying wide-open. So I reassembled it, and it awaits further attention. I have a rather valuable MC Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2.5 that I've examined closely but I don't want to risk ruining; I'm still trying to find some garden-variety Rokkor CHEAP! to use as a guinea pig. I really am rather cowardly about mucking-up superior lenses.
09-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Lensman spare that glass!

.....I really am rather cowardly about mucking-up superior lenses.
Uhm - excuse me for butting in, guys, but... I think it's positively noble to preserve a nice, old prime in its native mount.
Do the right thing, RioRico. You probably have a Minolta body languishing at the bottom of your broom closet. Haul it out and use that Rokkor as the photography gods intended!!
And don't try to tell me you're an atheist.

09-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Uhm - excuse me for butting in, guys, but... I think it's positively noble to preserve a nice, old prime in its native mount.
Do the right thing, RioRico. You probably have a Minolta body languishing at the bottom of your broom closet. Haul it out and use that Rokkor as the photography gods intended!!
And don't try to tell me you're an atheist.
Well actually, I don't bother with deities that don't bother me. And I try to carve a few gods from twigs every morning. But I digress.

I was given a pile of good Minolta stuff. But I have enough other film cameras that I actually use (with interchangeable lenses) -- I just didn't feel a need to maintain Minolta, so I've sold everything except the MC Rokkor 100/2.5 and that MD Kiron test zoom. (The other Rokkors and Alphas were fine but not exceptional.)

So, what to do with Rokky here? 1) Nothing. 2) Sell it. 3) Buy a NEX. 4) Mod it.

My main action options are #2 and #4. Selling: I haven't checked prices lately. If it's worth a few hundred bucks, I could be tempted to let it go. But where would I ever find a Pentaxable 100/2.5 for less? Modding: As I said, I'm a coward with this one. But if I think I can do it, I could have a real winner on my K20D. Hmmm...
09-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I couldn't find a way to keep the aperture engaged -- it defaulted to staying wide-open.
I don:t think this has anything to do with it being minolta mount. Some lenses do it, some don't. I have vivitar series 1 70-210 3.5 ver 2 (tokina) and a vivitar 28-210 3.5-5.6 (cosina) that gives m42 M type operation (control of the aperture by the ring only) that were both minolta if memory serves. I have a vivitar 35-200mm 3-4.5 (kobori) that only stays wide open that was minolta. I also have a vivitar 28-200 3.5-5.3 that is a native pentax A mount. I figure the only advantage of the 35-200 over the 28-200 and 28-210 is that it is faster so I figured I could use it as a fast wide open only lens.

So, what to do with Rokky here? 1) Nothing. 2) Sell it. 3) Buy a NEX. 4) Mod it. My main action options are #2 and #4. Selling: I haven't checked prices lately. If it's worth a few hundred bucks, I could be tempted to let it go. But where would I ever find a Pentaxable 100/2.5 for less? Modding: As I said, I'm a coward with this one. But if I think I can do it, I could have a real winner on my K20D. Hmmm...
I would be very hesitant to tear up a 200$ lens too. Then again, I went hog wild tearing into the series 1 70-210 and those can sell for a lot. Maybe it is because I paid 15$ shipped so that's what I equated it's value to at the time. Officially I bought a 62mm 1a skylight as that is what it was listed as. I have thought more than once about getting a nex or a micro 4/3 camera but I think the money might be better served going towards a pentax body with image stabilization and better high iso (I'm using an ist-ds). Of course unless I break the habit of nickel and dimeing myself to death' I'll never save enough for either.

The real kick in the but was someone posted offering to trade the minolta mount vivitar 35-200 for a pentax mount vivitar 35-200 if I had not modified it yet. To late..... You can not change minolta mounts without modification. The ears on the aperture ring will not clear the body of the camera and must be cut off. The mount screws have been too long on every one I have done and must be shortened to tighten down on the thinner new mount.

I do have a chance to get aperture control though on the 35-200 though. I used a donor k mount that has the aperture lever on ball bearings so it can go all the way around. the lens has a little screw sticking sideways (inward) for a lever to catch for the aperture. The original lever (on the inside that actuates the lens) for the aperture screws on so I just need to make a longer lever (simple bent piece of sheet metal). Only problem is, I thinned the mount so much (miscalculated thickness and had to go thinner than planned), I wiped out the hole for the set screws that controlled the aperture levers range of travel so it lines up with the body. I could install pins but does the range of travel need to be precision to line up right with the body? I also wiped out the screw hole to hold the spring for the aperture lever ring on the mount (again a pin would work). It would b very helpful if I had the parts and tools to drill and tap tiny holes and would need matching tiny screws but that is too much trouble right now. The whole mess is too much trouble right now (eventually I'll get to it, I promise, lol). In all honesty, I think its very doable, but since its advantage s being fast over other lenses I have, wide open works for now.

Uhm - excuse me for butting in, guys, but... I think it's positively noble to preserve a nice, old prime in its native mount. Do the right thing, RioRico. You probably have a Minolta body languishing at the bottom of your broom closet. Haul it out and use that Rokkor as the photography gods intended!! And don't try to tell me you're an atheist.
I'm too poor to have such ideals or nobility. Haven't most nobles historically been wealthy upper class types anyway, lol? I can not afford any good glass right now (or any time in the future unless the wife decides she is willing to go back to work) so whatever I get really cheap on ebay gets hacked onto my camera (going to be sacrificing a canon mount to the pentax gods this week). Income wise at least I'm ghetto so why not be ghetto fabulous If I'm too poor to be noble? Time to go to the dollar store and get some plastic stick on gems to add some bling to my lenses. Gotta pimp the glass!!!!!
09-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I would be very hesitant to tear up a 200$ lens too.
I just checked prices, they're all over the place, not selling for US$99, and selling BIN for US$180, both just a couple days ago, and a few more PF's selling in-between.

QuoteQuote:
You can not change minolta mounts without modification. The ears on the aperture ring will not clear the body of the camera and must be cut off. The mount screws have been too long on every one I have done and must be shortened to tighten down on the thinner new mount.
Hmmm, I could probably handle that. But maybe before I start on this one, I should first try to finish up some other tricky projects: Petri & Pentacon conversions, assembling experimental optics, etc. Yeah, clean up the works-in-progress -- I shouldn't leave so much unfinished stuff around.

QuoteQuote:
Time to go to the dollar store and get some plastic stick on gems to add some bling to my lenses. Gotta pimp the glass!!!!!
Right on, right on.
09-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, I could probably handle that. But maybe before I start on this one, I should first try to finish up some other tricky projects: Petri & Pentacon conversions, assembling experimental optics, etc. Yeah, clean up the works-in-progress -- I shouldn't leave so much unfinished stuff around.
Yea, I'm accumulating some half done lens projects myself that I need to finish.

I just checked prices, they're all over the place, not selling for US$99, and selling BIN for US$180, both just a couple days ago, and a few more PF's selling in-between.
You gotta love that about ebay. It seems many items are like that any more, especially lenses. It's funny when you see someone pay a huge amount for something and notice another one, buy it now in better condition for a third the price. I have started early Christmas shopping for the kids and it's unbelievable some of the things I have seen in toys on ebay. The bid low, bid often strategy defiantly seems to be working for me there. Wooden thomas the train cars and engines (Chinese knockoffs) are 3-6$ buy it now with free shipping and there are always dozens if not hundreds available. I pay under 2$ auction and have gotten better than a dozen, but there are always people on the weekends bidding up to 7-8$? It boggles the mind. My wife seems to think some can not be bothered to check prices and just pay whatever. She could be right. Too often she will come home and I ask her what she paid for something, and she has no clue. She didn't even look at the price, she just grabbed it and slid the card.
09-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

...So, what to do with Rokky here? 1) Nothing. 2) Sell it. 3) Buy a NEX. 4) Mod it.
Or maybe in a couple of days you'll be able to pre-order a Pentax APS-C mirrorless?

I'm too poor to have such ideals or nobility...
Yeah, I understand that. I'm not exactly wealthy myself. I get enjoyment using (and just thinking about) fast primes. I guess I've come to regard fast, old lenses not as just tools, but as art objects themselves. Gear worship, I suppose.

So..... Ah, nevermind. I still haven't learned to say when.

Anyhow, happy hacking ripit and Rico!

Last edited by .a.t.; 01-14-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: consideration
09-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Or maybe in a couple of days you'll be able to pre-order a Pentax APS-C mirrorless?
If 1) register is 17mm or less and 2) price is impossibly low, I'll go for it!

QuoteQuote:
I guess I've come to regard fast, old lenses not as just tools, but as art objects themselves.
And indeed many are. But I have enough other art pieces around that are more decorative and less functional than lenses. The lenses I mod aren't exactly one-offs. Even Rokky has numerous twins up for sale now. It's not like I'm painting moustaches on Warhol portrait silkscreens. Or is it?
09-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honestly I would much rather have lenses with native pentax mount. K mount defiantly caries a premium price over some other mounts though. Sometimes it luck of the draw too. The one you happen to get mega cheap has a non pentax mount. really cheap non pentax mount lenses seem much easier to find that pentax ones. While modding can be fun and challenging, it also gets tiresomeness at times.