Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
You're just sayin' that so I'll sell my K mount gear

No, I am serious. This will be my next big glass purchase so that in 6yrs when I can afford a 645D I will be set for both. I got a savings plan set up for it and it will be large enough to buy into a 645D and a number of lenses in 6yrs. Really considering Ron's 67 M* 400 4.0 instead. If only I knew just how hard it will be to find the 645 600mm.

09-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the subject of RRS tripods, this recent review was interesting.
09-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Wow. Just Wow. And cheap. Wow.
09-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice review...I've always been a big fan of Really Right Stuff, but have never used their tripods--happy with what I'm using and no longer in an equipment buying mode. However the review has me thinking...

Note that the reviewer sure hates center columns!

09-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #65
Veteran Member

The A*1200 is perfectly balanced so you don't get the pull from the front element causing the wobble like many of the other longer lenses. I would try a bean bag to see if that dampens it. The only reason that I would be skeptical of a arm or another long lens item is in how they might limit the use of the lens. It's hard enough finding your target let alone framing it. Moving the lens an 8th of an inch can mean a half a frame in the viewfinder.

I keep the horizontal and vertical knobs slightly tightened which seems to help dampen thing down. I use the notch in the handle to point the lens at the target then look through the viewfinder (or you can spend a great deal of time searching for what you are looking for). I have also spent some time trying to pan birds etc. That is a great way to get used to the lens. It is a back killer though. Not only from carrying the setup, but when you look up, the camera tilts down a foot or two, or if you look down, you're on your toes and still need a chair.

Cheers,
Steve
09-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Bogen camera body to tripod support can be used with the adjustment slider left a tad loose to allow for tracking animals. A forum friend from NY who owns both an FA*250-600 and an F*250-600 pointed this out to me a few years ago and it works fairly well--it keeps some tension for vibration dampening without locking things down. The RRS support does not affect movement in any way.
10-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
I have a rubber washer between my tripod and head. Hate to admit, but mine is a thin rubber circle that was originally designed to help grip jar lids. Don't know what such items are called? Jar lid openers? Oh well, doesn't hurt to try a thin vibration absorbing gasket...
You could get a bicycle inner-tube and cut it into whatever shape you need it if you are looking for some thin rubbery type material. I have used it before to take up space between different things but it sounds like it could work here.

10-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
A forum friend from NY who owns both an FA*250-600 and an F*250-600.....
WHAT? You know someone that owns BOTH the F* and FA* 250-600/5.6?? Wow.

Lemme know if he ever decides to sell one of the two.
I'm serious.
10-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
WHAT? You know someone that owns BOTH the F* and FA* 250-600/5.6?? Wow.

Lemme know if he ever decides to sell one of the two.
I'm serious.
Got your trigger finger ready for when that one turns up at KEH?

Price might be scary though, and don't forget to factor the duty freight, insurance and the GST
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The guy is interesting...he's a Canon 600/4 shooter with two big Pentax zooms. Buys a Pentax DSLR every few years to work with the zooms but is otherwise a Canon photog.

I'll touch bases with him about the lenses. Last time I heard from him he was heading out for a month to shoot polar bears in Churchhill Manitoba...so like I said, interesting guy...
10-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Clinton Congrats....

I've got 3 big white tubes in silver trunks, but You are well ahead of me. Congrats.... I was able to get my a* 600 f/5.6 repaired in Portland so I'm a happy camper.
It seems that the authorized Pentax repair place in Portland, OR, (Advance Camera) is owned by a guy that used to work in Denver for Honeywell Pentax
and he knows his pentax stuff.
10-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One Pentax SMC 150mm PF filter installed. Now I feel safe to take this lens out and about for some shots. I wish that the gov of CA had purchased one of these when the lens when they bought it. It would have probably saved me one tiny hairline scratch on the front element; although it could just be a manufacturer defect. I can only see it from the side with reflected light from a flashlight.

Edit: So tiny in fact, that now that I have the PF filter in front of it, I can't even find the mark anymore. Sadly, it's looking like I'm not going to be able to get out and shoot with this lens for a few weeks. :P

Last edited by Clinton; 10-04-2011 at 07:58 PM.
10-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One Pentax SMC 150mm PF filter installed
cost you an arm ?

Sadly, it's looking like I'm not going to be able to get out and shoot with this lens for a few weeks. :P
NOOOOOooooooo !!!!
10-05-2011, 02:42 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Got your trigger finger ready for when that one turns up at KEH?
Shhhh!

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Price might be scary though, and don't forget to factor the duty freight, insurance and the GST
....And the bloody falling Aussie Dollar that's dropped below parity with the USD!!!
10-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote

....And the bloody falling Aussie Dollar that's dropped below parity with the USD!!!

Yeah tell me about it. I was all set to buy a forum members' DA*300 but in the 2 weeks we talked the A$ dipped and just tipped it into Duty + GST tax territory.

It was a great buy at 950 USD + 50 frt to OZ = A$ 962 a couple of weeks ago. Now the value tipped over A$1000 so add duty and tax and for me it's A$1250-ish from A$200 in fees/taxes
Feel bad for the poor guy as I we both left it hanging for a week and that delay meant he lost the sale.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/157294-sale-p...m-f4-lens.html

Edit : oh I see rvannatta's PM'd him

anyway B.O.T.

. Sadly, it's looking like I'm not going to be able to get out and shoot with this lens for a few weeks. :P
Oh... how come.?.. do you have to do some weight training and bulk up a bit first?

Looking forward to seeing some pics <bookmarked>