Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
I am soooo glad it is in that good a shape. It figured though, the 250-600mm was in fantastic shape and I presumed that both lens were acquired at the same time, ergo if one's in great shape, chances are the other is as well. Nevertheless, I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when I saw your post, Clinton.

And yes, the lens came from the RCMP and likely used for surveillance. The RCMP has roughly the same mandate as the FBI.

Now all we need are some shots!!

09-28-2011, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dmc Quote
Likely spying on the Americans . . .
We really aren't that fun to watch. Anytime you're thinking of spying, you can go to peopleofwalmart.com and you'll see.

Last edited by Clinton; 09-28-2011 at 06:22 AM.
09-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

wonderfull lens at a price that is hard to believe
as others, I am looking forward to see some shots from this extreme piece of engineering
09-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Congrats.
I keep telling myself that i dont have room for this baby.

09-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Clinton, you have to edit your signature to add this lense
09-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you share how you had the item packed and shipped to you? The website is a little vague on this. Did they pack and ship it for you?

Oh and congratulations, what an optical treasure!
09-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's in fantastic shape! Now for the real challenge...controlling the inevitable vibration issues. Perhaps this lens will benefit from shake reduction even on a tripod (when you are supposed to turn off shake red.).

I've had noteworthy success with using the old Bogen magic arm camera support that screws into the tripod mount on the camera body and then braces down to the tripod leg...this way both the lens and the body are supported by the tripod creating a nice triangle of support. There are some tricks to using this system on moving critters...I'll walk you through some of it if you are interested.

You may also find that using the little remote trigger will take your own vibes out of the equation. I have a heavy trigger finger myself, but am not keen on shooting wildlife with the remote. I have a shooting buddy that prefers the remote even with superteles, and he has much better trigger finger control than I do.

Regardless, this will be a very fun lens for you once you work out your own system of taming the technique to get the sharpness the lens is capable of.

09-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Over at Bojidar Dimitrov's site, It says once in a lifetime for availability: A* 1200/8 ED [IF]

The funny thing is, I've actually seen 4 for sale. @smc bought the first one, I saw one on ebay for $7400 that sold in less than 3 hours, and there was one on mapcamera.com for around $6500, but they wont ship things costing above a certain amount, and by the time I could even get a response out of them it was also sold.
Like a cat, you now only have 5 live left over

I would say, bring it to those west coast choppers and make it shiny.
09-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
It's in fantastic shape! Now for the real challenge...controlling the inevitable vibration issues. Perhaps this lens will benefit from shake reduction even on a tripod (when you are supposed to turn off shake red.).

I've had noteworthy success with using the old Bogen magic arm camera support that screws into the tripod mount on the camera body and then braces down to the tripod leg...this way both the lens and the body are supported by the tripod creating a nice triangle of support. There are some tricks to using this system on moving critters...I'll walk you through some of it if you are interested.

You may also find that using the little remote trigger will take your own vibes out of the equation. I have a heavy trigger finger myself, but am not keen on shooting wildlife with the remote. I have a shooting buddy that prefers the remote even with superteles, and he has much better trigger finger control than I do.

Regardless, this will be a very fun lens for you once you work out your own system of taming the technique to get the sharpness the lens is capable of.
Looks like Clint has the same tripod setup as I do so it should be well balanced and you can move it around with just a couple of fingers, but you're right, vibration is a killer. I try to use a remote with the 3 second timer when I can, but since the DOF is so narrow, any movement from the subject ruins the shot. On darker days I try to crank the ISO up a bit which helps. I've also wondered about shake reduction and perhaps someone here can shed some light on using it with longer lenses. It only goes up to 800mm and I am presuming that it is because anything over that would go past the throw of the mechanism that moves the sensor around?
09-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Don't be surprised when the Canadians come to us begging for money because they can't organize their auctions properly.
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Tripods are for sissies. Be a man and post a picture of you shooting that handheld!
09-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Be a man and post a picture of you shooting that handheld!
AH AH AH !

... agree
09-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #43

sbav sbav.........

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
09-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Tripods are for sissies. Be a man and post a picture of you shooting that handheld!
Keep in mind that Clinton already has a 1000mm and a 2000mm lens in his sig. This new lens is almost an ultra-wide by his standards.
09-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #45
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Nice hunk of glass, you up for a deal on the Pentax-A 400mm F2.8 now you've got this bad boy?