Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Anyone have experiences with Rokinon 8mm fisheye?

I'd love to have a fish eye lens... was looking on amazon and was impressed by the price of the rokinon... but is it a good lens or is this one of those things I should have patience with? ha ha. me patience. funny.

Amazon.com: Rokinon FE8M-N 8mm F3.5 Fisheye Lens for Nikon (Black): Camera & Photo

09-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Original Poster
--suggestions are welcome. Not going to be able to afford much more than 300$ for a little while
09-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some pics: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/156236-samyang-...-fish-eye.html

And yes, it's one of the better deals out there on a fisheye lens

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a fisheye meant for film, similar to the Zenitar. If these lenses were still ~$125, they might be OK. I think at the current price, it's not interesing enough.

The Rokinon gets excellent reviews. It might be tricky to manually focus in the traditional way, because at 8mm, details are going to be very tiny in the viewfinder. I would just skip that and use the distance scale and hyperfocal. The depth of field is probably huge. You have to set the focal length for SR manually. I think it's a good option.

The Pentax DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom is frequently available lightly used, because people decide that they don't need a fisheye lens. Prices are pretty good too. You may have the same problem as the previous owner - not using it enough to tie up that much in one lens. The zoom allows you to choose your level of distortion, which I think would be great.

09-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The depth of field is probably huge.
Yeah, wide open, everything from about 3 feet to infinity is in focus. It's almost like a point and shoot. I want this lens, I've seen great shots from it. I think it's my favorite fish eye overall, but the Pentax fish eye is more versatile and has beautiful color.
09-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not have one, but I have seen excellent results fro the Zenitar. Here is one - new for $220 (used from $180). Its cheaper, still 180 degrees wide, faster at f2.8, and has an incredible depth of field.

Amazon.com: Fisheye Zenitar 2.8/16 MC Lens for Pentax K SLR DSLR Cameras: Electronics

I would have gone this route if I had not picked up my 10-17 years ago...

09-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yeah, wide open, everything from about 3 feet to infinity is in focus. It's almost like a point and shoot. I want this lens, I've seen great shots from it. I think it's my favorite fish eye overall, but the Pentax fish eye is more versatile and has beautiful color.
I have this Fish Eye lens, it has a minimum focus distance of 1 foot and if you stop down the lens, virtually everything is in focus. I don't know how much more versatile the DA 10-17 would be over the Rokinon 8 - after looking through Rokinon 8 for a while, mounting Sigma 10-20 on the K20D the FOV looks well, normal. I had thoughts of acquiring a DA 10-17 but my current combination of Rokinon 8 Fish Eye and Sigma 10-20 rectilinear seem to be the better option, imo.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I do not have one, but I have seen excellent results fro the Zenitar. Here is one - new for $220 (used from $180). Its cheaper, still 180 degrees wide, faster at f2.8, and has an incredible depth of field.

I would have gone this route if I had not picked up my 10-17 years ago...

You will get 180 degree FOV, only if you shoot full format, on the Pentax DSLR, Zenitar 16/2.8 becomes a 24mm wide angle lens with fish eye distortions. Your DA 10-17 @ 17mm would have a similar FOV as the Zenitar.

Thanks,
09-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Pentax DA 10-17mm fisheye zoom is frequently available lightly used, because people decide that they don't need a fisheye lens. Prices are pretty good too. You may have the same problem as the previous owner - not using it enough to tie up that much in one lens. The zoom allows you to choose your level of distortion, which I think would be great.
I will look into that too. Not in any big rush to get this, just want one to plaly with. but definatly have time to wait for a good deal!
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I do not have one, but I have seen excellent results fro the Zenitar. Here is one - new for $220 (used from $180). Its cheaper, still 180 degrees wide, faster at f2.8, and has an incredible depth of field
another good looking price there!

Thanks everyone for the advice. keep it comin

09-29-2011, 03:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the Pentax 10-17 better (even though it is more expensive) mainly because it is a zoom and it varies. It is always a fisheye, of course, but at 17mm, you can hardly see the fishiness, whereas at 10mm it is pretty dramatic. I am not someone who likes lots of fisheye photos (just an occasional one for a change up), so that works better for me. If you really like the fisheye look, the Samyang/Bower 8mm works great. It doesn't have auto focus, but it really isn't needed with these lenses, just set hyperfocal, stop down and shoot.
09-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Of note, the Samyang has unusual (and pleasing) stereographic projection, something rarely seen in fisheye lenses:

The Lenstip review talks about this:

"Using such projection in photography results in the most eye-pleasing effects as in the corners of the frame, shapes remain the least deformed and the bending of straight lines is moderate for a fisheye. The problem with stereographic lenses is the difficulty of their making, which usually triggers high prices. To our complete surprise, the stereographic fisheye is offered by no one else but the cheap Samyang!"

Ken Rockwell also has some good comparisons to other fisheyes in his review:

"This Pro-Optic lens does a much better job of keeping things from getting too small at the periphery than the Nikons. In fact, this Pro-Optic lens does the best job of any fisheye at keeping balls round at the sides of the image. It's about twice as good as the Nikon lenses... I kid you not: even as-shot, the Pro-Optic covers more than the Nikon 10.5mm, and almost as much as the exotic Nikon 8mm that costs ten times as much, and the Pro-Optic fits it all into a rectangle... What I really love about the projection of the Pro-Optic is how the sides and corners render the subject much larger than the other fisheyes. I find this much more useful than squashing the sides into useless mush."
09-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Take a look at the samyang lens club. Lots of 8mm fisheye shots there

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 09-30-2011 at 01:01 PM.
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
will do! thanks!
09-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Here are some more samples from my Bower branded version:

Flickr: Laurentiu Cristofor's stuff tagged with bower835fisheye

It's a superb fisheye lens. No regrets of having it over the 10-17. Manual focusing is no issue, as mentioned above.
09-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Banned

6.5mm Opteka version