Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
No way, they're way too big. A cut-up sock works much better in a photo bag ...
You must have incredibly small feet because the FA and DA ltd pouches aren't very big. I also have a couple of Nikon pouches.

10-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Haha ... I actually use the kids socks .... shhh!!!
(and as a male it's my duty to restate that there is nothing wrong with my feet )

I use a very small carryon photobag meant for small cameras (m4/3, etc, overall size around 12x5x5 inches with an extra front "pouch" that keeps 2 lenses) - I can fit a K-X, 3 primes (15/31/77), Nikon SB20 or SB80 flash and a spare set of batteries plus some filters, so every cubic inch matters. Believe it or not but with the LTD pouches it is too much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You must have incredibly small feet because the FA and DA ltd pouches aren't very big. I also have a couple of Nikon pouches.
10-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
funny about the socks. I actually use a sock around my AF540 flash with a cutout at the window. i found that i was banging that flash up when shooting macros on the ground and setting it down, etc, so the sock has been great.

for the lenses, my camera bag has padded dividers and a velcro flap so the lenses go in au naturale; 't'would be a hassle to take them in and out of a pouch as well. but it is good to know that someone uses the leather pouch.
10-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I answered this question from my viewpoint which holds true for many people in an earlier post in this thread. It isn't about fear. Obviously, some believe it is about the QC which may or may not have some validity. I have both FA and DA ltds and see it no different in regards to preferring certain Taks over others from both a functional, aesthetics and historical stand point. We are talking about buying something used. Its a lot like the argument over whether to go with the Lumix LX5 over the Leica D-Lux-5. There are some compelling arguments to go with the Leica version for some people but many of us lean toward the Lumix. I have had no issues with my DA ltd lenses, DA* 300 or the D FA WR which are all AIV. I still like having the MIJ FA 77mm which if I were to sell, I would advertise it as MIJ, but not as a dig to Vietnam.
Speaking of Leica, Leica made in Canada lenses go for much less than other ones...

I also don't care where they are made. I also have a DA300 AIV that is perfect. I just wanted to state my disappointment in the not inexpensive FA31.

There's even a new thread where someone just bought an FA31 new and it's perfect for them.

If the new owner (as of today) wants to see the FA31 fly off shelves they could lower the price, inspect every lens on an optical bench, and add a gold sticker if it passes. The gold sticker is important to differentiate from past models and encourage buying of new versus people buying the used MIJ version (even if it is not different). The new AIV FA31 with gold sticker for higher QC would be the most sought after version. Most people don't care where they are made. They want to buy a good copy the first time.

10-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
Speaking of Leica, Leica made in Canada lenses go for much less than other ones...

I also don't care where they are made. I also have a DA300 AIV that is perfect. I just wanted to state my disappointment in the not inexpensive FA31.

There's even a new thread where someone just bought an FA31 new and it's perfect for them.

If the new owner (as of today) wants to see the FA31 fly off shelves they could lower the price, inspect every lens on an optical bench, and add a gold sticker if it passes. The gold sticker is important to differentiate from past models and encourage buying of new versus people buying the used MIJ version (even if it is not different). The new AIV FA31 with gold sticker for higher QC would be the most sought after version. Most people don't care where they are made. They want to buy a good copy the first time.
That's a good idea, I'm sure people would be willing to pay a little more for a lens that was individually checked. I guess if you got one of the other ones though it would probably be a dud. I recently got a 70-200mm canon lens from newegg because I figured it was less likely to be on that was sent back from the dudes that buy 2 or 3 and send back the ones they don't want as some do with the big camera shops. It was a virgin btw.
10-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
That's a good idea, I'm sure people would be willing to pay a little more for a lens that was individually checked. I guess if you got one of the other ones though it would probably be a dud. I recently got a 70-200mm canon lens from newegg because I figured it was less likely to be on that was sent back from the dudes that buy 2 or 3 and send back the ones they don't want as some do with the big camera shops. It was a virgin btw.
I bought a new lens once (retailer to remain unnamed) that came in a box so beat up, it had to be a floor model or a return. Of course, I returned it.

Another suggestion for the new owner is to seal all new boxes with tamper proof packaging. Shrink wrap with custom OEM plastic that can't be duplicated by any retailer with their own shrink wrap machine. Open box should be open box.
10-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i didnt weigh in but i couldnt care less whether they tightened the screws in vietnam or japan, big deal. i have not heard of any issues one way or another in recent years nor am i slightly phased that my last 4 bodies were assembled in vietnam or the phillipines. i also wont contribute to any price premium for MIJ goods by buying into that hype, forget it.
10-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote

I am not sure if this is true (about the Leica). The Summicron-R 90/2 and the APO-Telyt-R 180/3.5 are made in Canada and have excellent reputation, maintaining a pretty steady price from what I've seen. Walter Mandler, who was based in Canada I think, was a legendary lens designer in Leica.