Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
Found the diagram:

http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/fa31.pdf

The handwritten comments made me laugh

I wonder if the wobbliness is due to the manufacturing tolerances of the rollers and not the barrels.
It's either barrel F121 (inside diameter) or the one in front of F112 (outside diameter) where the hood is attached to. It will be obvious once you reach that part.

09-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm hoping not to have to do that anytime soon (my copy works fine except for a very fine wobble), but thanks for the pointer.

I have not seen mis-machined parts in the Nikkors yet (most problems with the lens "barrels" was due to abuse - dropping or rough handling) ... is that what you're hinting at?

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
It's either barrel F121 (inside diameter) or the one in front of F112 (outside diameter) where the hood is attached to. It will be obvious once you reach that part.

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.
09-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my perspective, simple as it may be, unless the supply chain of parts changes, there should be no difference in a MIJ vs AIV part.

This is on the basis that at this point in time, the Vietnamese assembly facility should be familiar with lens assembly techniques and have the same level of training technically, as their Japaneese counterparts, and therefore there should be no difference at all.

Any change in parts or different supply chain is not exactly an assembly issue, and the design engineers should be overseeing any change in sourcing, therefore if it is a question of supply chain that brings about a reliability problem with a lens, then the designers may be equally at fault regardless of point of assembly.

The same goes for an initial assembly run, regardless of location, when the work changes there is a learning curve, and an early product can be just as prone to problems at any factory. Again, I see no difference here between MIJ and AIV.
09-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I have also both MIJ and AIV lenses. The only difference I can see is the lens pouch: leather pouch for the MIJ lenses and faux leather for the AIV ones. No difference whatsoever in the lens itself.

Cheers!

Abbazz

I do not believe that is a true statement. Perhaps the pouch material is designated by the lens model? My DA15 is the only one i've had with a faux leather pouch.
the rest of my AIV and MIJ lenses have had the leather pouch with the words "made in japan" stamped into the bottom.

09-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
I have not seen mis-machined parts in the Nikkors yet (most problems with the lens "barrels" was due to abuse - dropping or rough handling) ... is that what you're hinting at?
I am not sure about Nikkors which I have never worked with, but for the FA31 specifically, it's a manufacturing issue. The parts weren't precisely made enough imho. The diameter difference can be detected with a pair of calipers. I am certain those parts could be screened if Pentax wanted to.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I do not believe that is a true statement. Perhaps the pouch material is designated by the lens model? My DA15 is the only one i've had with a faux leather pouch.
the rest of my AIV and MIJ lenses have had the leather pouch with the words "made in japan" stamped into the bottom.
The Limited pouches were switched to shiny black (feel thinner and kind of cheap) already toward the end of MIJ era. Originally, they were light brown for the FA43, green for the FA77 and burgundy for the FA31. I don't think they are genuine leather but I could be wrong. The left one in your pic looks different so maybe they are switching the source again.
09-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #36
Site Supporter

I am not sure about Nikkors which I have never worked with, but for the FA31 specifically, it's a manufacturing issue. The parts weren't precisely made enough imho. The diameter difference can be detected with a pair of calipers. I am certain those parts could be screened if Pentax wanted to.

The Limited pouches were switched to shiny black (feel thinner and kind of cheap) already toward the end of MIJ era. Originally, they were light brown for the FA43, green for the FA77 and burgundy for the FA31. I don't think they are genuine leather but I could be wrong. The left one in your pic looks different so maybe they are switching the source again.
You can order the brown pouch for the 43 at the low price of $75.
09-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You can order the brown pouch for the 43 at the low price of $75.
Probably the overstock. I doubt they are being made anymore since they are all black now.

09-30-2011, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #38
Banned

I wonder why all the fuss over the Vietnam vs Japan is always centered around the FA limiteds? all of your lovely DA limiteds are also assembled in Vietnam and nobody seems to be scared of them, despite the fact that they are likely assembled by the same hands in the same factory. if the QC was really that bad you all would be scared to buy any pentax lens that comes out of Vietnam, and for that matter any body or grip that comes out of the philippines, since none of these are assembled by japanese hands. I really do believe most of this comes from a fear of things made in other asian countries besides Japan, and not any rational desire to avoid any QC issues. I’m not arguing that there was likely an issue when assembly was moved to Vietnam, and while it could have been avoided, I think its fair to say such things can happen in such a big move and change of workforce. but it really bugs me that so many peoples comments so obviously suggest such an irrational fear. its kind of disappointing.
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I wonder why all the fuss over the Vietnam vs Japan is always centered around the FA limiteds? all of your lovely DA limiteds are also assembled in Vietnam and nobody seems to be scared of them, despite the fact that they are likely assembled by the same hands in the same factory. if the QC was really that bad you all would be scared to buy any pentax lens that comes out of Vietnam, and for that matter any body or grip that comes out of the philippines, since none of these are assembled by japanese hands. I really do believe most of this comes from a fear of things made in other asian countries besides Japan, and not any rational desire to avoid any QC issues. I’m not arguing that there was likely an issue when assembly was moved to Vietnam, and while it could have been avoided, I think its fair to say such things can happen in such a big move and change of workforce. but it really bugs me that so many peoples comments so obviously suggest such an irrational fear. its kind of disappointing.
I answered this question from my viewpoint which holds true for many people in an earlier post in this thread. It isn't about fear. Obviously, some believe it is about the QC which may or may not have some validity. I have both FA and DA ltds and see it no different in regards to preferring certain Taks over others from both a functional, aesthetics and historical stand point. We are talking about buying something used. Its a lot like the argument over whether to go with the Lumix LX5 over the Leica D-Lux-5. There are some compelling arguments to go with the Leica version for some people but many of us lean toward the Lumix. I have had no issues with my DA ltd lenses, DA* 300 or the D FA WR which are all AIV. I still like having the MIJ FA 77mm which if I were to sell, I would advertise it as MIJ, but not as a dig to Vietnam.
09-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Probably the overstock. I doubt they are being made anymore since they are all black now.
My argument wasn't that they are still being made, but that the brown ones still exist. I think the brown ones are cool but I'm not sure its $75 worth of coolness.
09-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My argument wasn't that they are still being made, but that the brown ones still exist. I think the brown ones are cool but I'm not sure its $75 worth of coolness.
Of course.
09-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
leather pouch = storage container for original lens cap and warranty card

does anyone actually use these items in the field??
09-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Of course.
I also bet at that price they will be in stock for a while.
09-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #44
Site Supporter

I use them in my backpacks and sling bags.
09-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #45
Veteran Member

No way, they're way too big. A cut-up sock works much better in a photo bag ...