Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should I keep and repair my 28mm f2.8

I just picked up a Tokina 28MM f2.8 EL from a member here, and should be here in a few days. This was to substitute my current Pentax-A in the same focal length, while I send it off to get a fungus problem taken care of. I'm really just wondering if its even worth it to keep? I paid $60 for the Pentax and $45 for the tokina. Cost to repair the Pentax will be $40.

09-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I am just about to put one of these Tokinas up for sale, so keep my possible bias in mind. I really liked the A28/2.8 and only sold mine when I got the F version, supposed to be the same optically. It's a great lens. I compared my F version to one of these Tokinas yesterday and I'd say it is very close between them. The Pentax wins in some cases, but only by a small margin in a back-to-back 100% crop. The Tokina does have some CA as mentioned in reviews, worst at f2.8, almost gone at f5.6. But for a lens that's not supposed to be a premium line, it's quite good. I'd say build quality is equal. I think the Tokina EL is a worthy substitute for the A28/2.8. Some of that call depends on how you use the lens. Is it always on the camera or filling the occasional gap between other primes?

I'd try to clean the A28/2.8 myself, compare the two lenses and sell the loser. Otherwise, lenses that need repair have different values to people, depending on their ability to get it repaired. I think the eBay system is a good way to let the marketplace decide what the value is. It's kind of a lazy option: you don't have to figure out a value yourself, don't have to get it repaied and don't have to worry about getting back the cost of the lens plus repair.
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Seeing how I bought the Pentax-A in its current condition, I unfortunately have not used it much (other than doing some test shots) but figure this focal length will become my 2nd most used lens behind the Sigma 18-50.
09-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does the tokina have auto aperture? How much is that worth to you if it doesn't?

09-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As a general rule, I'm in favor of restoring salvageable lenses--especially good models no longer in production.
09-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, the Tokina also is an A lens........I've pretty much rid myself of all full manual lenses, except my Elicar 90mm macro.