Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

Looking for a macro lens

For general macro photography.

been looking at:

Sigma/Tamron 90 and 105mm macro for pentax
Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro-this is a bit expencive...

Anyone has some help?

12-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

They're all great, just do a search here (and in the Post Your Photos forum) for more info/examples. I have the Sigma 105mm f/2.8, and it's very sharp and produces nice pictures.
12-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A macro would really compliment your lens collection Karl, and you'd be surprised how often you'll get an opportunity to use it while fishing.

From what I understand the Pentax is the same as the Vivitar and Phoenix macro lenses except more money.
12-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

huh? The Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro is the same as a Vivitar/Phoenix? Never seen this before. Also, the Pentax is Autofocus, has special coatings on the rear element for digital (hence the "D" before the FA) Oh, and the quick-shift focus....So I really don't see how they are the same.

12-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro and love it. Chose this one after using a friends Pentax DFA 100mm 2.8 macro. I didn't like the feel of the Pentax and there is no focus limit option. Went looking for an older FA 100mm macro and couldn't find so researched and bought the Tamron. Below is the Photozone tech test review of the Tamron.

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro - Photozone Test Report / Review

Good Luck

David
12-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
huh? The Pentax DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro is the same as a Vivitar/Phoenix? Never seen this before. Also, the Pentax is Autofocus, has special coatings on the rear element for digital (hence the "D" before the FA) Oh, and the quick-shift focus....So I really don't see how they are the same.
take a look at this link.
12-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

But the OP is asking about the "100mm f/2.8" which I took to mean the DFA 100mm f/2.8 since that's the only 100mm f/2.8 macro available new (made by Pentax).

The lens you linked to isn't even close to the same lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote

12-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
I have a phoenix 50mm lense, almost threw it out the window when I "felt it up" it feles so cheap... but then again, it was incredible chepa so I keep it in my canerabag asa reserve if I should destroyy my 18-55mm

I hve seen that both the Tamron and the Sigma are getting great reviews, not seen so much about the Pentax but I guess it aint that comman lense either.

The Tamron sure looks like a good choice, and the price aint that bad.

The USD is so low now that I can afford to restock a bit. (The USD has fallen from about 7.5 to 5.5 agains norwegian kroner, that is a lot when we talk about lenses that costs around 250-400USD )
12-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A macro would really compliment your lens collection Karl, and you'd be surprised how often you'll get an opportunity to use it while fishing.

From what I understand the Pentax is the same as the Vivitar and Phoenix macro lenses except more money.
There is/was a Pentax 100/3.5 macro made by Cosina, and they probably sold the same lens with Vivitar and Phoenix badges. It's not exactly the best lens one can use.

One can also find the superb 100/4 M series macros for reasonable prices. I have what is described as the "SMCP-M 100mm f/4 Dental Macro" because it has some additional scales on it for dentists to use. It is reputed by some to be the sharpest macro Pentax ever made. I know my copy is really, really good.

If you are into chasing bugs around with your macro, get a manual focus lens. This will allow you to leave the camera body in AF-S, focus the lens to the appropriate size, and when you move the lens in, it will snap-in-focus.

Once I found out that turning the MF switch on on the lens was just like turning the MF switch on the body, I dropped all consideration of AF macro lenses. They are fine lenses, but macro and AF just don't mix, IMNSHO. With the lens extended to 1:2, you lose a whole pile of light at the film plane, and AF is iffy at best. Sometimes snap-in-focus does not fire for exactly the same reasons on my MZ-S. I am hoping that the K10d's AF improvements improve my success rate.
12-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #10

Vivitar Series 1 macro lenses are highly regarded (105/2.5) as well as those made by Kiron in the 105/2.8 variety. Lester Dine made a kit specifically for dentistry use as well as a flash to go with it using the Kiron design.

There's one in the marketplace if you're interested.

The above lenses shoot 1:1 magnification which what you should look for.
12-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to agree with Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro and love it. Chose this one after using a friends Pentax DFA 100mm 2.8 macro. I didn't like the feel of the Pentax and there is no focus limit option. Went looking for an older FA 100mm macro and couldn't find so researched and bought the Tamron. Below is the Photozone tech test review of the Tamron.

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro - Photozone Test Report / Review

Good Luck

David
I can only agree with all of the above. In addition, I find it to be one of the easiest focusing lenses I've ever used (I manual focus a lot) even when not using is as a macro.

NaCl(it is almost always in my bag)H2O
12-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Stu, Egordon is correct. There was an f3.5 version. I owned one. Now that lens took good pictures both as a tele and as a macro lens but the build quality is not the same as the others mentioned. It also requires a fiter macro adapter to get to 1:1. Without it, it's a 1:2. It was badged as a Vivitar, Cosina and Phoenix as well. The Pentax version was the same other than it had the SMC coating.

As for the OP's question. I own the Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro and it's a very good lens. Seems to sell around $350. Metal body and great build. Sharp as a tack and very smooth bokeh. Also has a focus limiter as well so the lens doesn't range like crazy when you are using it as a telephoto. Keeps the lens from going into macro range. For me a keeper.
12-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Hi Karl ... Search is great, can be your friend even ::

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/15655-legendar...ighlight=macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/13248-voigtl-n...ighlight=macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/15040-zeiss-vo...ighlight=macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/13765-d-fa-100...ro-lenses.html

Each of these have links to other threads ... some of them to each other. Like taking a drink of water from a firehose, but probably every decent lens is touched on in these threads.
12-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #14

Original Poster
m80-I`m not sure I like you You just made this even worse

Now I have to look around for what price I can get on a voigtlander to... thank god the USD is at a all time low now

How do I know a voigtlander will fit my camera, or do they all do?
12-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

Now why would I answer someone who doesn't like me... ; I know I know.. just kidding.

Follow the Cameraquest link in the "...Voigtlander...LBA... "thread, for purchasing of the lens in the Pentax mount. That lens comes in a few mounts, but most are sold out. There's some still available in the Pentax mount, but it's discontinued and selling fast, so you know what if you want it.

That's not the only decent one tho. Like said in a few of the links, you really won't wrong with any of them (as I understand, or, as I've seen from the results posted ... since I can't say 1st hand since I only own the Voigt ).