Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #1

what would you do?

Hi all. I recently purchased a da 16-50 and i'm not sure i like it that much for the price. its hit or miss on the focusing and there is noticeable vignetting. i've read somewher that i need to get a uv filter to take care of the vignetting. should i get another copy or trade it for a sigma 18-50 2.8 macro and the sigma 10-20 both for about the same price i paid for the da?

12-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by coatz Quote
Hi all. I recently purchased a da 16-50 and i'm not sure i like it that much for the price. its hit or miss on the focusing and there is noticeable vignetting. i've read somewher that i need to get a uv filter to take care of the vignetting. should i get another copy or trade it for a sigma 18-50 2.8 macro and the sigma 10-20 both for about the same price i paid for the da?
A UV filter would make the vignetting worse. As to the lens itself, it is known the initial batch of production lenses had some lenses with QC problems. If you can still swap it, I'd try for another copy. Check the serial numbers to ensure they are not from the same batch.
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

i'd opt for the sigma combo. the 10-20 is very good.
12-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
i bought the 16-50 da from amazon and they said they'll replace it no charge. if the 2nd copy is bad, i think the 12-24 is a better option for me since i have the tamron 28-75 which is really good.

12-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Though I suppose there are reasons to use a specialized filter, fixing vignetting is not one of them.

I'd get 2 different lenses if you have the opportunity to trade it. The 12-24 is very nice (though I prefer the fisheye for the really wide end), and I have the previous version of the Sigma 18-50 which is very good.