Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #1

is this fisheye lens legitimate?

Hi all,

First post here, so a quick explanatory intro to begin with I'm just about to become a proud part-owner of a K10D (just got it for my wife for the holidays, and it's going to be delivered on Monday). We're both SLR newbies, so we're looking forward to learning a lot about the art and science of photography.

I got two lenses as part of the kit I bought, but I'm already salivating over the idea of a fisheye lens We live on the beach, with lots of interesting landscapes, that would be perfectly suited to being photographed with a fisheye I think. I see the Pentax 10-17 is a great lens, but it's a little more than I was hoping to spend right now.

I found this "fisheye" lens online:
Professional 0.42X Wide Angle Fisheye Lens With Macro 4 Pentax AF/MF SLR Cameras: 1766 South Bay Camera

It seems to be something you screw on to any lens...would this work with the 18-55 kit lens I have? I'm not a pro, so don't need something to yield absolutely professional results...I figured that even if this thing only gives a halfway acceptable amateur picture, for the price it's worth it. Or am I being naive?

Thoughts and comments welcome....please pardon any ignorance on my part, as it's honestly earned

Thanks!
Dave

12-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's your call but the general opinion would be that this is a waste of money. You are much better off learning how to use your new camera and lens. then save for a new 10-17mm or other lens. You would be far better off to get a Zenitar fisheye at around $130.00 if you want something more exconmical and soon.

The item above will slow the camera down, degrade image quality, add weight to the lens, slow down the Auto Focus and cause image vignetting.
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #3

Peter gave good advice. And Two posters from the Maritime Provinces
I've traveled to both PEI and NS, and won't say which I liked better!
12-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
Peter gave good advice. And Two posters from the Maritime Provinces
I've traveled to both PEI and NS, and won't say which I liked better!
Thanks...I think I'm going to take Peter's advice and save up for the 10-17.

Re the Maritimes: the funny thing, superfuzzy, is that I'm actually from New York City originally (born, raised, and lived there for 30 years), and just moved here a month ago after living in Western Canada for a few years! So the two people who replied are both from my "necks of the woods", plural Like you, I'm not going to say which I liked better (NYC or NS)

Thanks again,
Dave

12-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In any case, Welcome to the forum.

Photographically, no matter where you're at, each place will luv ya right back.
12-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums.

I was a Canon film guy for a long time, and had the 15mm 2.8 fisheye ($475 thirty years ago).

One of the main reasons I went with Pentax when going digital was the availability of the relatively cheap 10-17mm fisheye zoom. Egads what a great lens!

Here are two samples from my first day with it:

At 10mm:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/2005%20and%202006%20Pictures/061118-23Park.jpg

At 17mm:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/2005%20and%202006%20Pictures/061118-35Boats.jpg
12-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dave,
Like JC said Welcome to Pentax Forums.
It's always nice to see another Canadian here
12-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Also check out the Zenitar

QuoteOriginally posted by canadave Quote
Thanks...I think I'm going to take Peter's advice and save up for the 10-17.

Re the Maritimes: the funny thing, superfuzzy, is that I'm actually from New York City originally (born, raised, and lived there for 30 years), and just moved here a month ago after living in Western Canada for a few years! So the two people who replied are both from my "necks of the woods", plural Like you, I'm not going to say which I liked better (NYC or NS)

Thanks again,
Dave
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Besides the 10-17 you might want to check out the Zenitar. It's a manual lens, and doesn't have quite as wide a view, but it is waaaayyyy cheaper, I just looked and you can find it on eekbay for between 150 and 180 usd in the K mount. (even cheaper if you want to go screw mount). Heres a sample of what it can do. I'm sure you will recognise the subject!

NaCl(hope it didn't make you too nostalgic)H2O

12-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you all. I probably won't be a huge regular, but I'll likely pop in every now and then with the odd question or answer, I'm sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Besides the 10-17 you might want to check out the Zenitar. It's a manual lens, and doesn't have quite as wide a view, but it is waaaayyyy cheaper, I just looked and you can find it on eekbay for between 150 and 180 usd in the K mount. (even cheaper if you want to go screw mount). Heres a sample of what it can do. I'm sure you will recognise the subject!

NaCl(hope it didn't make you too nostalgic)H2O
Thanks salty, I actually did a bit of reading and searching through this forum before I posted, and saw the many posts on the Zenitar. I'm tempted...but I'm thinking if I'm going to spend a couple hundred dollars on a fisheye, I might as well save up for a few months and then go the rest of the way for the Pentax 10-17

(and yes, that pic does make me nostalgic actually...I just visited my folks in the W. Village in October before moving to Nova Scotia, and spent some time down by the Brooklyn Bridge, Seaport, and the waterfront. In fact, coincidentally, my decision to buy the K10D was largely solidified when I ran into one of the mobile Pentax minicars down by the Seaport and was able to try out the K10D! (no one else in NYC seemed to have one I could hold in my hands and play around with...Best Buy only sold them online, Adorama only had them new in boxes and wouldn't take one out so I could try it out in my hands, etc).

Thanks again,
Dave