Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Dont forget the sigma 30mm f/1.4 sharper than every lens listed on this page and cost's less than most of them too
you are being a bit a bit misleading there Toughefc - the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 has terrible resolution at the edges of the imaging field.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Where did you hear that? The 77 is my most consistent lens when it comes to auto-focus accuarcy.
I think he was referring to AF speed and he's right, the FA77 limited can't hold a candle to the FA*85mm f/1.4 when it comes to AF speed. I can manually focus my FA77 with greater accuracy than my K10 and K7 can - and all I'm using its the stock screen.

10-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

Original Poster
First of all thanks for all the responses, a lot to digest. I am quite a newbie really, I am still in the learning stage of equating the numbers to what they can produce etc.
The one thing I am trying to understand is the focal length and its relation to the sensor size.

I am shooting anything from people right in front of me to across the (sometimes) large room - say 10-20ft away, I will look to find if I have any SFW shots in the meantime. Its fetish photography so I cant really use their pics.

At some point I will upgrade my K-x, but from the advice Ive received to far I should get the quality lenses first.

It sounds like I should get the Sigma EX Lens - 30 mm - F/1.4 - Canon EF,

While waiting for replies and getting a better understanding I ordered a couple of cheap lenses, one of which was suggested.

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 SLD Aspherical DC Optical Stabilized (OS) Lens with Hyper Soni... $199.00 Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens for Pentax Digital SLR cameras $171.95
10-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Just heard that the FA77 is a bit inaccurate in terms of autofocus in a couple of places of the interwebs. Maybe they all had bad copies, I can imagine an FA77 with good autofocus is an absolute dream.

I want an FA77 now :[
Yeah its first ive heard of it being inaccurate.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you are being a bit a bit misleading there Toughefc - the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 has terrible resolution at the edges of the imaging field.

I think he was referring to AF speed and he's right, the FA77 limited can't hold a candle to the FA*85mm f/1.4 when it comes to AF speed. I can manually focus my FA77 with greater accuracy than my K10 and K7 can - and all I'm using its the stock screen.
Sure the 30mm isnt the best at the edges , but its still the sharpest where it counts the most.

We were talking about FA77 af accuracy, read the quote above from page 2.
10-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Noggin Quote
While waiting for replies and getting a better understanding I ordered a couple of cheap lenses, one of which was suggested. Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 SLD Aspherical DC Optical Stabilized (OS) Lens with Hyper Soni... $199.00 Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens for Pentax Digital SLR cameras $171.95
I have had both of those lenses, still have the 35 2.4, pretty good lens and works well in dim light, actually really well in dim light and will produce great pictures with high iso speeds (i personally have shot gigs in horrible lighting at 4000 iso with this lens attached to a KX and gotten great results).

I will be honest with you on the sigma, it is just an "OK" lens, a little faster and faster focusing than the kit lens but not a stellar performer - the 17-50 2.8 CA is quite a bit better.

Recommendation -> Get the 35mm in while saving the other $600 you have, shoot with the 35mm and see if the 35mm focal is good or if you need more (or less) focal, from there you can chose the lens that will work best for you...

---

10-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I am shooting anything from people right in front of me to across the (sometimes) large room - say 10-20ft away, I will look to find if I have any SFW shots in the meantime. Its fetish photography so I cant really use their pics.
For that kind of photography, you might want to consider a WR lens.

But on a more serious note, if you're wanting to have a person's whole body in focus, I don't think you'll have too much use for apertures faster than f2.8 since your depth of field will start to get pretty slim. And f/2.8 does a pretty good job on a K-x indoors. I think you'd be better off with an f/2.8 zoom, such as the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 (~$650) or the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (~$450). Those are new prices...if you buy used you can save a little money. The Sigma is more expensive than the Tamron, but it has a silent autofocus motor, which might be good for the type of photography you're doing.

As far as focal lengths, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 might be an even better choice. It's not as wide as the above lenses, but it will give you more reach. If you're wanting to photograph the whole room, then you'll want the 17-50mm lenses. But if you're mostly just wanting to photograph one or a few people together, then the 28-75mm should be wide enough in most rooms, and will let you zoom in closer from farther away.
10-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Dont be afraid to shoot faster than f/2.8

Even shooting someone 12ft away with a 30mm shooting at f/1.4 will give you a depth of feild at 33inchs! More than enough too get a persons whole body in focus!
10-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I have had both of those lenses, still have the 35 2.4, pretty good lens and works well in dim light, actually really well in dim light and will produce great pictures with high iso speeds (i personally have shot gigs in horrible lighting at 4000 iso with this lens attached to a KX and gotten great results).

I will be honest with you on the sigma, it is just an "OK" lens, a little faster and faster focusing than the kit lens but not a stellar performer - the 17-50 2.8 CA is quite a bit better.

Recommendation -> Get the 35mm in while saving the other $600 you have, shoot with the 35mm and see if the 35mm focal is good or if you need more (or less) focal, from there you can chose the lens that will work best for you...
---
Ok so I may return the Sigma and get the 17-50 2.8 CA.

That should cover me for a while, thanks for your honesty!
10-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
For that kind of photography, you might want to consider a WR lens.

But on a more serious note, if you're wanting to have a person's whole body in focus, I don't think you'll have too much use for apertures faster than f2.8 since your depth of field will start to get pretty slim. And f/2.8 does a pretty good job on a K-x indoors. I think you'd be better off with an f/2.8 zoom, such as the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 (~$650) or the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (~$450). Those are new prices...if you buy used you can save a little money. The Sigma is more expensive than the Tamron, but it has a silent autofocus motor, which might be good for the type of photography you're doing.

As far as focal lengths, the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 might be an even better choice. It's not as wide as the above lenses, but it will give you more reach. If you're wanting to photograph the whole room, then you'll want the 17-50mm lenses. But if you're mostly just wanting to photograph one or a few people together, then the 28-75mm should be wide enough in most rooms, and will let you zoom in closer from farther away.
Haha good point about the WR

I think I will go for the Sigam 15-50mm 2.8. Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-50mm-2-8-Aperture-Canon/dp/B003A6H27K/ref=sr_...7543631&sr=1-1

Last edited by Noggin; 10-02-2011 at 01:20 AM.
10-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Haha good point about the WR

I think I will go for the Sigam 15-50mm 2.8. Is this it?

Amazon.com: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens for Canon Digital DSLR Camera: Electronics
this is the newest version of the sigma 2.8 CA zoom, the 17-50. Based on reviews, its currently the sharpest of the bunch. It also features OS and HSM. My experience with sigma's HSM is that its fast, reliable and silent, so it should be pretty good for your uses. OS is a tad redundant since you also have SR built into your body. These SR and OS cannot be used together, so make sure to either turn off SR or OS when using this lens. Also, be sure to order the pentax version, the link you posted is for the canon version which will not work with your k-x. Same goes for the sigma 30mm a few posts back.