Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I just got a FA31!

Hi everyone! Well I took the plunge and got the FA31mm yesterday, and this lens is a real keeper! As many know I also have the Sigma 28 1.8 also. In the center the lenses are very comparable, and that is where it ends. The FA is sharp at the center and edges right out of the barn, where the edges of the Sigma get reasonably(but never completely) sharp at f8. The FA is just incredible at darn near every aperture, until diffraction starts showing up at f11 or so. Now to one point someone in the forum pointed out: purple fringing. The lateral chromatic aberration is there at wide F stops but is easily correctable in post. There is lots of longitudinal chromatic aberration, with green in the background and purple in the foreground at big F stops, but gets better as you stop down. I also use DXO for raw processing and that helps a lot. To be honest, a lot of lenses have that kind of aberration, so you shoot around it. But it is hard to explain just how uniform the lens is, very consistent from edge to edge, at every F stop. To be honest, I don't think I have any other lenses near this good in that respect except maybe the 300 DA*(to a lesser degree the 35 f2.4). And the construction is first rate. Now my copy was made in Vietnam, and there was a thread about this copy vs the japanese version, esp. the purple blooming issue. Now, I don't see any purple blooming due to the lens and sensor issue per se, but I did look at the photozone test and my copy seems consistent with the text of that review, so ? Anyway, I love this thing, and look forward to the 55DA* and 15 limited I will get next week!

10-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #2

Nice! I recommend an MZS body to go with it!
10-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Hi everyone! Well I took the plunge and got the FA31mm yesterday, and this lens is a real keeper! As many know I also have the Sigma 28 1.8 also.
Congratulation, share some comparison shots too.
10-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi everyone! Well I took the plunge and got the FA31mm yesterday, and this lens is a real keeper! As many know I also have the Sigma 28 1.8 also. In the center the lenses are very comparable, and that is where it ends. The FA is sharp at the center and edges right out of the barn, where the edges of the Sigma get reasonably(but never completely) sharp at f8. The FA is just incredible at darn near every aperture, until diffraction starts showing up at f11 or so. Now to one point someone in the forum pointed out: purple fringing. The lateral chromatic aberration is there at wide F stops but is easily correctable in post. There is lots of longitudinal chromatic aberration, with green in the background and purple in the foreground at big F stops, but gets better as you stop down. I also use DXO for raw processing and that helps a lot. To be honest, a lot of lenses have that kind of aberration, so you shoot around it. But it is hard to explain just how uniform the lens is, very consistent from edge to edge, at every F stop. To be honest, I don't think I have any other lenses near this good in that respect except maybe the 300 DA*(to a lesser degree the 35 f2.4). And the construction is first rate. Now my copy was made in Vietnam, and there was a thread about this copy vs the japanese version, esp. the purple blooming issue. Now, I don't see any purple blooming due to the lens and sensor issue per se, but I did look at the photozone test and my copy seems consistent with the text of that review, so ? Anyway, I love this thing, and look forward to the 55DA* and 15 limited I will get next week!
In english, does that mean you like it.
John

10-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good one Dave.
Yeah, it's a stellar lens but not void of those minor issues you mentioned - and flare to me, which is as good as it gets for a lens, but still ever present and hard to get an intended flare effect that works well with the lens. Nevertheless, one of my faves too.
11-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good one Dave.
Yeah, it's a stellar lens but not void of those minor issues you mentioned - and flare to me, which is as good as it gets for a lens, but still ever present and hard to get an intended flare effect that works well with the lens. Nevertheless, one of my faves too.
That's true, I find it harder to control the degree of flare on a FA31 than on a DA limited for example, it's all or nothing it seems and the "all" comes with artifacts. It's no DA15/DA21 in that regard. However PF is almost a non issue for me with this lens.
11-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now my copy was made in Vietnam, and there was a thread about this copy vs the japanese version, esp. the purple blooming issue. Now, I don't see any purple blooming due to the lens and sensor issue per se, but I did look at the photozone test and my copy seems consistent with the text of that review, so ?
I wouldn't worry about this "MIV" vs. "MIJ" business. Whether the lens is Made in Japan/Assembled in Vietnam or vice-versa, whatever ... if your 31Ltd does what it is supposed to do, well ... you've got a winner lens !

I have one too and it is "Assembled in Vietnam" ... probably MIJ, and it is razor sharp ! Just love it.

Some will assume that one assembled in Japan will be better ... that is total hogwash to me, and I'd really like to see side by side comparisons under the same exact circumstances.

Congrats on your newly acquired lens ... you'll be happy!

JP