Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hunting down cheap lenses

I'e been mooching around charity shops quite a lot lately, and looking in a store in Manchester (The Real Camera Shop, it's great, check it out) looking for lenses. Obviously a true camera shop will realise the value of a lens it holds, and you're going to pay for what you get, but I've picked up more than a few bargains at an Oxfam in Lancaster before, for example picking up a near mint Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 for 8.

I'm wondering, other than random charity shops, where would the other UK based Pentaxians suggest having a look at for lenses that are sold without knowledge of how much they're worth? Maybe it is a little mean to hunt these sellers down, but hey, I have no money, so I want me some bargains. Where do you hear news about car boot sales and all that?

I'm hoping that I might be able to pick up a 200mm f/4 for a reasonable price somewhere, it's a pretty boring looking lens, so I'm assuming a generic second hand trader won't really know the price it could go for. And if I found something more exotic... well, that'd be nice too :P

10-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't help with specific venues, but I have this little guide for evaluating lenses: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

Stateside, about the best opportunities are antique shops where the proprietor 1) specializes in something other than photo gear, and 2) isn't eBay-savvy. If the proprietor is absent and the clerk can be negotiated with, all the better! I've picked up a few nice pieces at antiques co-ops. Yard / garage sales, and flea markets / boot sales, can be rather iffy as the owner may over-value their gear. BUT I PAID 500 FOR THAT IN 1995!! I COULDN'T SELL IT FOR LESS THAN 200!! for a beat-up MV1 with a F35-70 on it, et cetera. It's best if they're selling-off junk from late Uncle Ferd's closet.
10-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #3

I've been to that shop before, they had a 40mm pancake that I didn;t buy because I didn't have the funds, but now I can't it anywhere! Second time I went one of the guys working there was a bit of a dick tbh. Anyway I digress. There's also the LCE in Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester, but they don't stock as much classic gear as the real camera co. Flea/second hand markets are usually quite good, i've seen cameras ranging from classic slrs to 1929 Lecia before. If you're in the Manchester area I've heard theres sometimes a car boot / flea market just outside of the Trafford Centre some weekends. I can't remember the full details but a photog told me about it before, he has found some excellent Nikon gear cheap in the past. I think its either one of these.
Trafford Car boot Sale Manchester - 1 min from Trafford Centre on Sundays
or
Bowlers Car Boot Sale