Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet another CPL question...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Yeah, I know, don't put a cheap CPL on the front of a good lens. But when the lens is a $150 lens and has the somewhat odd size of 72mm and which I'd like to think I will upgrade some day, it doesn't make sense (nor cents at this time) to me to spend close to a $100 for a great CPL. Beside cost, bottom line for me is that, from my experience, a little loss of sharpness using a CPL is better than the glare and loss of contrast when not using one.

So, I'm looking at cheaper CPLs, and I'm hoping for some advice/experience. I've already eliminated all the usual suspect brands and am looking at 3 possibilities:
Vivitar and Kenko are under $20, Marumi at ~$40. I'm guessing that the Kenko and Marumi are better quality, but only the Vivitar is multi-coated. Any opinions or other suggestions will be appreciated!

10-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
if the pictures are important to you IMHO a well designed hood and multicoated good quality filter (only used when needed) are critical--just as important--likely more so--with a cheap lens. $20.00 for a 72mm PL seems very low?
Did you consider a better quality linear PL--at worst you may need to use manual focus (I only have linear Pl, but I don't use auto focus)!
Instead of a poor quality filter I suggest simply not getting one.
10-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One other point--excluding long focal lengths--the big problem is more one of (potentially lots of) flare, not loss of sharpness.