Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Test Combo: A*300mm f2.8 + 1.4L + AF 1.7X

About 1 year ago, I sold the tele 1.4L tele because I did not find much use for it (not in mint condition etc).

With my recent trip to Japan, I found this pentax 1.4X L tele hidden in the lowest cabinet, 3rd row behind some derelict zooms. It was "never out of box" copy. Really neat. Since it was not that dear in price, I got myself a copy.

It was not until today that I saw people playing the same cricket again with rosella flying around like rats.

The shots were pretty decent with this combo, sharp wide open. At f5.6 which is one stop down, it was not too bad as a performer!

This is 644mm lens in the end, having so much reach and widest aperture is f4.5 I almost scream when I saw the images sharp instead of being blurry.

For example, look at this rosella!

Then these cricketers

Besides some weird bokeh noise, the images are not that bad considering the reach with AF ability!

One more toy to play with now

12-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The colors are definitely vivid, the oranges are very bright. I did notice that weird bokeh going on, but hey, I can live with that if it works.
12-08-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe the bad bokeh was something to do with harsh lighting and 2 tele stacked up together.

With darker background like the one with rosella, the bokeh was ok.

So I wonder it is a signature problem with this combo. Anyway, time will tell if I shoot more
12-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

like it...the bokeh on the rosella was nice, looks artsy...
the cricket players...you can just say, it was a hot day....looks like heat to me...

12-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

wow, I'm impressed. I really like the bokeh- it's different than most anything else, so that helps differentiate youurself. looks good!
12-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
like it...the bokeh on the rosella was nice, looks artsy...
the cricket players...you can just say, it was a hot day....looks like heat to me...
I think it is probably heat. Since the rest of test shots I did today turned out reasonable as bokeh.

The contrast is a bit low in this combo but I can live with it

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
wow, I'm impressed. I really like the bokeh- it's different than most anything else, so that helps differentiate youurself. looks good!
The bokeh with A* 300mm f2.8 is definitely good. I had used it with various combinations of tele. Most bokeh are rather unique and vivid. Like the following

12-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

they all look incredible. Love all the cricket ones.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
hey, the umpire looks a bit like Mick Maloy

12-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote

hey, the umpire looks a bit like Mick Maloy
LOL. He does look like Mick Maloy for sure til you mention it. I got a collection of shots from that game the other day, battling the flies a lot.

Seriously, AF 1.7x tele is doing all the autofocusing for me as I had manually focused to the near range already. It seemed that given such a huge reach, the focusing ring did not need to travel much at all. All I did in these time was basicly half pressing the shutter, continuous autofocusing. Quite fun
12-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

the bokeh on your second set is impressive, very different to say the least, and I frankly love it.
12-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

After looking at the rest of the photos, I dont think I like the bokeh, it looks alittle too busy and un-natural for my tastes when I look at the shots with the branches. But thats just me.
12-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #11

Hi
Great to see some cricket pictures at long last. Can't remember a single instance of cricket pictures in any of the forums!. Being from India I love cricket pictures as cricket is almost religion here in the sub-continent. I think pentaxforums.com is the best. Am a C***n shooter but am looking to switch. If only money was easy to make

Sudeep
12-09-2007, 02:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
the bokeh on your second set is impressive, very different to say the least, and I frankly love it.
And the bokeh could be unpredictable using this lens too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
After looking at the rest of the photos, I dont think I like the bokeh, it looks alittle too busy and un-natural for my tastes when I look at the shots with the branches. But thats just me.
People said photographs could be reflection of one's inner being which might exactly reflecting myself in these shots. Or these shots could be some quality I desire or lack ...

In photo critic fora, the words would be too "distracting".

QuoteOriginally posted by smdeep Quote
Hi
Great to see some cricket pictures at long last. Can't remember a single instance of cricket pictures in any of the forums!. Being from India I love cricket pictures as cricket is almost religion here in the sub-continent. I think pentaxforums.com is the best. Am a C***n shooter but am looking to switch.
These are just test shots. Making a switch to pentax is a great idea for optical quality but I doubt you would be happy hunting down long end lenses though
12-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #13

The bokeh in that second set was incredible. Looking forward today I could get my hands on some of that old long glass.
12-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice lack of CA and purple fringing. Great setup.
I'm glad I have all the TCs too and a 300mm f/2.8. I actually wanted to try that + the 2x & point @ the moon once I get a tripod (tho probably a lotta flex w/that).
12-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
The bokeh in that second set was incredible. Looking forward today I could get my hands on some of that old long glass.
I know the lens is heavy and probably not practical to carry around most of the time. With specific local country trip carried in a car, this lens is quite capable to isolate the scenery and producing outstanding shots. A nice lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Nice lack of CA and purple fringing. Great setup.
I'm glad I have all the TCs too and a 300mm f/2.8. I actually wanted to try that + the 2x & point @ the moon once I get a tripod (tho probably a lotta flex w/that).
m8o, watch out one thing though.

1.4L teleconverter is specificly designed for all the A* tele photo lenses like 300, 400 and 600 with almost no image sacrifice.

If you are using tamron or sigma or kenko 1.4X tele, you would be quite dissapointing.

I had tested Sigma 300mm f2.8 on k100d before with these teles, quite dissapointing. The colour and resolution suffer greatly

But I could be wrong. Looking forward to your results