Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Filter thread broken- how to fix?

so, my camera strap got stuck under the chair I was sitting on and I picked up my camera in a hurry. and I dropped it. I had two filters attacked and they are fine, but I snapped the filter threads off the lens itself, how do I stick it back on?

Attached Images

10-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #2

It's called crazy glue and a magnifier, no alternatives!
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super glue and a steady hand/good eye, I agree. Shame about that, these things happen so easily and are quite devastating when they occur. Best of luck with it.
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Dented filter ring repairs/tools

Use a thin filter ring without the glass as a thread extender if you can't stand the gap-toothed look- should screw in OK despite the missing piece.

Fill the hole with modeler's plastic putty, smooth the filler when hardened and paint over the fix. Use a waxed filter ring as a male mold behind the hole to form the missing threads.

H2

10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I once read that neck straps cause more damage then they prevent and have read dozens of pf.com articles just like this one backing that theory. As far as repair, as they said, carefull gluing but if threads are not going to line up due to damage, possibly glueing in a size converter. If lens is a 49mm you might need a 52mm --> 49mm stepdown to prevent vignetting but can maybe get away with the same size, 49mm --> 49mm to save the filters if the lens is not wide and is a full format to start with. Good luck.

EDIT - what Pacerr said, seems we were typing at the same time but I am slower.
10-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Be very careful with super glue (Krazy Glue is a brand of super glue) near lenses. It can emit vapor even after curing and the vapor can stick to glass surfaces and can be impossible to remove without damaging the glass surface.

If you use super glue, don't put the lens in a bag for a long time.
10-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks guys I will try it and see how it goes.....
10-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
it worked! thanks