Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

50/f1.2 focus noise on LX but not GH2..?

Hi everyone,

I recently tried out my new K50/f1.2 on my LX for the first time and noticed an odd noise when focussing from closest-infinity (no noise the other way). It's a very faint 'ticking' - kind of like someone flicking paper...

The odd thing is that the K50 focusses absolutely silently when adapted on my Panasonic GH2. Likewise, all my other SMC lenses are silent on the LX (K24, M50, K135).

Any ideas?

Cheers, Nick

10-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That sounds odd. Cameras shouldn't affect focusing at all w/ these manual lenses. You might try it again on your GH2, or better yet, just take it off camera and turn the focusing ring left and right to see if it makes any noise.
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
That sounds odd. Cameras shouldn't affect focusing at all w/ these manual lenses. You might try it again on your GH2, or better yet, just take it off camera and turn the focusing ring left and right to see if it makes any noise.

I've tried it several times on the LX, several times on the GH2, several times just mounted to the adapter, and several times with the lens by itself (even with and without the rear lens-cap)...

It only makes the noise on the LX, and it always makes the noise on the LX (ie: it's not an intermittent problem...)
10-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
That sounds odd. Cameras shouldn't affect focusing at all w/ these manual lenses
I agree, unless there is something catastrophically wrong with your lens it should be absolutely silent on both cameras.

10-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I agree, unless there is something catastrophically wrong with your lens it should be absolutely silent on both cameras.
Should be, but isn't...
10-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it make sound when you disconnect the lens from the body, and turn/focus the lens slowly?
Seems like a defective to me.
10-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
Banned

sounds more to me like there is something up with your LX not your lens. do you have another lens to try on your LX, to see if you can replicate the sound?

10-05-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
sounds more to me like there is something up with your LX not your lens. do you have another lens to try on your LX, to see if you can replicate the sound?
As I mentioned in the OP, I've tried my K24/f2.8, M50/f1.4 and K135/f2.5 on the LX and none of them make a sound.

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Does it make sound when you disconnect the lens from the body, and turn/focus the lens slowly?
Seems like a defective to me.
Also as mentioned in the OP, the K50 lens makes no sound when disconnected from the body.
10-05-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
As I mentioned in the OP, I've tried my K24/f2.8, M50/f1.4 and K135/f2.5 on the LX and none of them make a sound.

Also as mentioned in the OP, the K50 lens makes no sound when disconnected from the body.
I have to recant my first comment as I was, for some reason reading ‘focus’ and somehow thinking ‘aperture’, in which I was blaming the LX for a possible problem with the coupling. but if we are talking focusing here, I can’t see how any camera could be to blame. it has to be the lens, so the fact that it only happens when mounted to the LX seems strange to me. there is no linkage whatsoever between a manual focus pentax lens and a manual focus pentax body, not even the LX. (in regards to the focusing mechanism) the focusing mechanism is completely internal. the only thing that could be a possibility is that when near or at infinity, the rear element of the lens (which at that point would be at it farthest extension from the back of the lens and into the mirror box) could be possibly contacting something? I just can see how it could only be replicated on the LX, when in theory it shouldn’t matter if its even mounted to anything at all concerning the focusing. do you have another K mount camera to test the 50 on? does this only happen when wide open? have you tested it with all aperture settings?

id like to help, but I’m at a bit of a loss. I would ask you to maybe shoot some video of the problem if thats a possibility, but I understand that wouldn’t be easy to do and accurately capture the sound.

Last edited by séamuis; 10-05-2011 at 05:10 AM.
10-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it happen at all apertures? I once had a problem with an older film body (Yashica) and after driving me nuts for a while it was a slightly bent aperture lever. This sounds like something different, but just to rule that out.

Thanks,
10-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... the only thing that could be a possibility is that when near or at infinity, the rear element of the lens (which at that point would be at it farthest extension from the back of the lens and into the mirror box) could be possibly contacting something?
My theory too. The K135 rear element won't extend deep into the mount; it looks like this:

I think the K50/1.2 is the most likely to have a large diameter, deeper extension into the camera.

I'm relieved it's not the 135 that's the problem!
10-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the rear element of the lens (which at that point would be at it farthest extension from the back of the lens and into the mirror box) could be possibly contacting something?
If that was the case, the lens would be focusing past infinity by a considerable amount.
10-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If that was the case, the lens would be focusing past infinity by a considerable amount.
ah, well I’ve never used a 1.2 so I didn’t know if it were somehow different in this respect to other lenses, it was just a possible guess on my part. thanks for the correction. I still can’t figure out how the focusing could only be affected by one camera body, when in theory it shouldn’t matter if its even mounted to a camera at all. the only thing I can really think of is that its somehow connected to the aperture mechanism inside the lens and thus appears only when mounted on a camera that couples with the Kmount aperture mechanism. unless mFT Kmount adapters also have mechanical couplers? I think the next ‘rule out’ really has to be testing the lens on another kmount body.
10-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I think the K50/1.2 is the most likely to have a large diameter, deeper extension into the camera.

I'm relieved it's not the 135 that's the problem!
The rear element of the K50/f1.2 is very big - it literally fills all of the available space within the mount - but it doesn't extend past the rear-most part of the mount, so I don't think that should matter. The mirror-stops in the LX were replaced about a year ago and I'm wondering if that's making something stick out more than it should

Haha the 135 has been fantastic - I'm waiting to get back a roll of Provia Thanks again Dave!

unless mFT Kmount adapters also have mechanical couplers? I think the next ‘rule out’ really has to be testing the lens on another kmount body.
PK-mFT adapters are literally just a metal tube. The only moving part they have is the mount-lock...
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Not sure if it's related but my sigma 10-20mm makes small grinding noise (and feel) when zoomed from 12-14mm only when mounted. I think the focusing ring of your lens is somewhat connected to the aperture acutation.