Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
How about DA 18-55 II? a lot of reviews i've read mentioned about the good performance at lower focal say 18-28... Is it comparable to the IQ of primes in this range? (never mind 35-55mm)
It should be the same as the L version you sold. I tested the WR version which should also be the same, against some other stuff at 24mm for sharpness. The Sigma Superwide II 24mm f2.8 and Kiron 24mm f2 are better in the center and a lot better in the corners, still ahead even at f11. I'd look at those two primes if sharpness across the frame is important. The Kiron has that extra stop for low-light use.

Flare might be a problem for many potential lenses in this range. The Sigma I mentioned is not great here, one area where the kit lens is better. I think you might have to settle on using hoods and technique to stay within your price range.

10-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with you, hardest part is finding the lens... I don't think i would want to own the DA ltd's as i will only use this lens for landscapes, which I seldom shoot. Am just making sure that if the need arises i have the lens at hand.
Might just be in luck: m42 Takumars - Super f/3.5 35mm, SMC f/3.5 28mm, Super f/4 150mm - PentaxForums.com
10-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #18

Original Poster
@hoanpham
i hope we could meet here in HCM soon. Are you related with Peter?

@RioRico
i should have researched on that focal before. Anyway, do we have any links to lens distributors and lens makers? Sometimes it's confusing...

@abacus07
Truth is, i do have the M28 before but wasn't contented with the IQ that's why I was looking for a comparison based on the M28...

@Just1MoreDave
If that's the case with the kit II then i'd prefer the manual unless someone vouch for the Tamron 17-35

@Ash
As much as i wanted to buy that 28mm 3.5 here, i prefer to meet in person (no offense meant but really I've never tried buying anything through the net...).

I guess because i don't know how to go with the process...
Thank anyway for that link, appreciate your concern.

An idea just pop-out while reading the post today. Can anybody with existing 24-28mm or wider start a club with the title Wide-Angle Club or Going Wide Club or something!!!

I am so grateful about this forum...
10-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

OK let's throw a spanner in the works.

I've just scanned the thread but if you are planning to reduce the number of lenses you own from 20 to 7 and buy quality rather than quantity (my new strategy too) then I'd sell what you can and look further upmarket.

I recently bought a Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 for around US$380 and the difference between this and the K28 I have is very clear (Zeiss also have 24s but the two 28s [the 28/2.0 is much more expensive] are considered better lenses), you can also find converted Leicas for around another US$100 more. This was a successful experiment for me so will remain my strategy from now on. BTW infinity starts at around 3m on this lens so it's virtually an AF anyway !
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #21

Original Poster
@Frogfish
Stay away from me!!! You're BAAADDDDD

Kidding, stop tempting me man. You have a point there though (now i am thinking , your bad)

But i think i'll have to settle with the old lenses first and learn more about photography before upgrading to Contax's and Leica's....

Thanks man
10-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

i should have researched on that focal before. Anyway, do we have any links to lens distributors and lens makers? Sometimes it's confusing...
Damn right it's confusing! And researching the Focal brand is especially difficult. Why did KMart have to choose such a generic name?!?!? Anyway, over at the Manual Lenses forum are various attempts to figure out who made what for whom. Good luck. I'd never have noticed the Focal 28 was the same as the Makinon 28 if I hadn't been comparing my lens data. When I saw these two lenses with the same apertures, iris blades, near-focus, thread, and weight, I grew suspicious. In this way, my lens accumulation serves as a small reference library.

QuoteQuote:
As much as i wanted to buy that 28mm 3.5 here, i prefer to meet in person (no offense meant but really I've never tried buying anything through the net...).
I buy nearly all my gear online, overwhelmingly via eBay. I've had more problems as a seller than as a buyer, and little enough trouble there. The Marketplace here is probably one of the safer places to buy lenses, along with the good-reputation online retailers.

QuoteQuote:
An idea just pop-out while reading the post today. Can anybody with existing 24-28mm or wider start a club with the title Wide-Angle Club or Going Wide Club or something!!!
If it's for APS-C dSLR users then you'd have to call it the Wide-Normal Club. Not a very exciting name... Expand it to include 21's and you could call it the Terrible Twenties Club! Or the Roaring Twenties? Something like that.
10-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #23

Original Poster
@Ash
I mean in one category for all of those same as RioRico's idea. Thanks though for taking time to get all those links for me.

@RioRico
If i found a lens, can i ask you for reference (based on your accumulated lenses)?

There's no problem with me buying here or on ebay the only problem is that i really don't have any idea how it works

I like the Roaring Twenties idea but the Terrible Twenties connotes negativity on the lenses. Why not Simply "Twenties Club"

10-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Plus one for the Sigma 24mm Superwide. It's very sharp. However, it does flare sometimes, and can add a cold cast to photos. A good hood and a Circular Polarizing filter helps this lens.
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

If i found a lens, can i ask you for reference (based on your accumulated lenses)?
You can try. [That means yes.]

QuoteQuote:
There's no problem with me buying here or on ebay the only problem is that i really don't have any idea how it works
Open a PayPal account. Put money into it. Watch money drain out. It's easy.

QuoteQuote:
I like the Roaring Twenties idea but the Terrible Twenties connotes negativity on the lenses. Why not Simply "Twenties Club"
Boring. Maybe the Torrid Twenties, or Twentysomethings?
10-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I use the Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye for landscape and thing that I get good results. The issue with bent lines is not as huge as might be thought. The key is to have the camera level. That takes care of the horizon. Vertical objects at the periphery are not a big problem either. For some reason the eye is willing to accept some bend there. (Makes sense. The human eye is not rectilinear.)

Here are a few examples (no de-fishing or other correction done):

I don't think that last one would have looked quite as good with anything other than a fisheye.

And more here both with 35mm film and APS-C dSLR:
Flickr: Search fotostevia's photostream
Steve
10-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

@HoBykoYan,
Maybe stevebrot's photos will change your mind about the Zenitar. It really is a splendid lens. I especially like it in portrait mode where it greatly emphasizes the verticality of scenes. Landscape mode is a little trickier. I can't shoot with it in the forest that surrounds me -- the trees, they're all falling on me! So it takes a bit of care to use. But it's quite rewarding.
10-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #28

Original Poster
@RioRico
Have you ever encountered a Kinor 28 2.8? is it one of those distributors?

I guess Twentysomethings is a perfect club name.

@stevebrot
thanks for posting those pics, i must say am impressed with the zenitar 16 but am not sure if i'll ever find one...
10-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Have you ever encountered a Kinor 28 2.8? is it one of those distributors?
If you mean Kino Industries / Kiron, they made many lenses for Vivitar. Kiron serial numbers start with 22; Komine lenses start with 28. I have Vivitar-Kiron 24/2 and 28/2.5, both excellent lenses, and the 28mm was cheap. I don't have the Kiron 28/2.8; it gets good reviews except that some complain of sticky iris blades, which I haven't witnessed myself.

QuoteQuote:
I guess Twentysomethings is a perfect club name.
Run with it!

QuoteQuote:
i must say am impressed with the zenitar 16 but am not sure if i'll ever find one...
See a bunch of them here on eBay starting at under US$200 shipped. The Russian lens cartel seems to have a fixed minimum price around there, and they're raised it as the US$dollar has fallen; it used to be pegged around US$160. Occasionally I see offers of 10 of them for US$1500. Let's see: buy ten, keep one, sell nine at US$200 each, make US$1800 net for US$300 profit plus the lens. That's capitalism!

Last edited by RioRico; 10-07-2011 at 12:09 AM.
01-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I just noticed that the link up there for the Chinon 28 2.8 was mine. I added some better photos. I think I got it for $40 and its a fantastic lens. Highly recommended. I dont know how 'wide' it is in comparison to others but it can be quite sharp.