Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Tamron 28-200mm worth $60?

Came across a K-mount Tamron 28-200 on local craigslist for 60 bucks, the seller doesn't seem to know much about it so I'm not sure on the exact model. I know it is the f3.8-5.6, 62mm filter, minimum focus of 1.6 so I think its the macro, hopefully someone can give me some insight on this, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

10-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you know if it's the older film or the newer digital? I have the film ("macro" of 1:4), and am very pleased with it. I got it for $100 at a local camera shop. Probably too much for it used, but I find it to be a solid lens. Feels like good build, fairly smooth zoom. It has an auto/manual focus switch on it (I can't easily adjust focus manually without auto on), a zoom lock (seems to only lock at 28mm), aperture ring with Auto. The front element doesn't rotate on zoom or focus.

In the end, my experience has been good - IQ seems every bit on par with the 18-55 kit lens that came with my camera, and I love the range of 200. Personally, i'd pay $60 for it, having paid $100. I'll see if I can find any examples of shots taken with it - i've set it aside to try and learn my manuals (i've only had my DSLR - k200d, for a few months and am fairly new myself, for full disclosure).

----EDIT----
the markings around the zoom ring of mine are AF Aspherical XR (IF) with model A03 (Made in Japan).

Pez

Last edited by pezmaker; 10-05-2011 at 09:16 AM.
10-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
Tamron 28-200mm worth $60?
Ya, I think so - I am looking to sell the one I have for $85, I just have not had time to get it out and post the listing. All in all a descent lens for an older cheaper AF one...

---
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Do you know if it's the older film or the newer digital? I have the film ("macro" of 1:4), and am very pleased with it. I got it for $100 at a local camera shop. Probably too much for it used, but I find it to be a solid lens. Feels like good build, fairly smooth zoom. It has an auto/manual focus switch on it (I can't easily adjust focus manually without auto on), a zoom lock (seems to only lock at 28mm), aperture ring with Auto. The front element doesn't rotate on zoom or focus.

In the end, my experience has been good - IQ seems every bit on par with the 18-55 kit lens that came with my camera, and I love the range of 200. Personally, i'd pay $60 for it, having paid $100. I'll see if I can find any examples of shots taken with it - i've set it aside to try and learn my manuals (i've only had my DSLR - k200d, for a few months and am fairly new myself, for full disclosure).

----EDIT----
the markings around the zoom ring of mine are AF Aspherical XR (IF) with model A03 (Made in Japan).

Pez
Thanks for your insight.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Ya, I think so - I am looking to sell the one I have for $85, I just have not had time to get it out and post the listing. All in all a descent lens for an older cheaper AF one...

---
So it's worth it for $60 but since you are selling yours the next question would be is it worth owning?

10-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had an older film-era copy, the AF AL 28-200/3.8-5.6, not macro but it came with a matched closeup adapter. Not a bad lens but since my DA18-250 is my main walkaround, I just didn't use it. I sold lens+closeup to a member here for US$75 and she reported being quite happy with it. So I'd say that yes, if it's in good condition, it's well worth US$60.
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
So it's worth it for $60 but since you are selling yours the next question would be is it worth owning?
Yes, absolutely - I am selling it as I only need approx 20 lenses to stay happy, not the 50 or so that is laying around right now...

---
10-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought one as well from a Pawn shop, it was on a film camera and they were selling it all for $75, I came back in a week and made an offer on it and walked out with it for $45, I have the kit zoom as well (50~200 DAL) and I keep finding myself coming back to this Tamron lenz, I have a like new copy and it just feels good in my hands and for everyday use, I am happy with the IQ and the images that I am getting with it. I believe it is worth the $60 dollars asking price, go for it you will be happy.
I will use mine a lot until the day I can afford a Pentax 18~250, then I will be selling it for around $80, I feel I shouldn't have a hard time selling this lenz.
the kind I have is~AF Aspherical LD (IF) 28~200mm Macro with a 72 mm filter thread mount.
It seams like it is a fatter lenz then you one you are about to purchase but I imagine it is similar, need to see a pic of it.
One source I have found in my wanderings is Pawn shops, I stop and check every one of them out where ever I go, I even leave my phone number with the folks that work at these places if I find out that they take in cameras and lenses, so far I have gotten two calls from a couple of them letting me know that they have a lenz or some kind of photographic equipment in.
Hope this helps.

10-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have been watching them on ebay for a while. One I bid on (and just lost) went for 28.79 + 10.20 shipping so close to 40$. That the cheapest I have ever seen one go for that was in good working condition. I have seen plenty go for around 60 and some for more (especially the newest version which seems to go for closer to 100$). It sounds like a decent enough price, especially since its local and you can inspect it and try it first. I would expect good condition for that price though.
10-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do a web search on this phrase --

"userreviews/tamron-af-28-200mm-f-3-8-5-6-xr-di-aspherical-if-macro.html"

If it's the 62mm filter ring, it's the Di Macro version and $100-120 would be a typical price. The 72mm filter is the DL version and typically $50-60.

IMO it's a good alternative to the DA 50-200 as a general purpose, outdoor lens.

H2
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you check the lenes reviews on this site? See the Lenses link in the site menu above.

My take a for film, it would be, but on digital, I think it,s pointless. why get an "all in one" that doesn't go to wide angle? You'll still need your kit lens for that, and now you're carrying around a telephoto zoom that is heavier and optically worse telephoto zoom than just about any alternative.
10-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the Promaster badged version (LD @ 72mm) and I use it more than my DA18-55 and DA 50-200 kit lenses. I found that I often shoot fall in the 40-200 mm range. Having a lens that gets rid of a lens change prevents a lot of sensor dust and the IQ is equal to either kit lens. I cover the wider end with a Sigma 10-20mm.

I bought my 28-200 for $75 with a Super Program film camera. Sold the camera body for $25. I would have been happy with the price without selling the camera body.

@200mm and 1600 ISO

@28mm and 1600 ISO

@40mm and 1600 ISO with Flash

@60mm and 1600 ISO with Flash

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 10-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.
10-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Did you check the lenes reviews on this site? See the Lenses link in the site menu above.

My take a for film, it would be, but on digital, I think it,s pointless. why get an "all in one" that doesn't go to wide angle? You'll still need your kit lens for that, and now you're carrying around a telephoto zoom that is heavier and optically worse telephoto zoom than just about any alternative.
what would be a better alternative for 60$ though? There are long zooms that go wider and or wider and longer but they seem to cost quite a bit more. Its not going to cover every situation because it doesn't go really wide but it will still cover many?
10-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
what would be a better alternative for 60$ though? There are long zooms that go wider and or wider and longer but they seem to cost quite a bit more. Its not going to cover every situation because it doesn't go really wide but it will still cover many?
There really isn't any at that price point. Worse case, you can carry the DA 18-55 as an insurance policy for wider shots.

Tim
10-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
There really isn't any at that price point. Worse case, you can carry the DA 18-55 as an insurance policy for wider shots.

Tim
Maybe it would be more accurate to say that this is one of the better choices for budget super zooms. I have been looking into them quite a bit and the tamron 28-200mm Seem to be the best you can get under 100$, in fact you are probably going to have to pay a lot more than 100$ for one that goes wider though I haven't really watched prices on them (can not afford them right now). I cheeped out and got a sigma 28-200mm and am kind of regretting it (only out 15$ though). I think I'll eventually buy a tamron though its no rush for me. I have several good to very good manual focus super zooms and have the sigma though it has some issues. I'm regretting not bidding more on that tamron that went for 40$ (it would have been nice if I could have gotten it for around 50$ or something). At the time I bid low because I had the sigma and the MF ones and didn't really care if I won it but now I kind of do a little.
10-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The point is, I find any 28-XXX zoom useless at any price. Your mileage may vary, but I shoot *way* more often in the 18-28 range than I do in the 55-infinity range. Like around ten times as often at least. Except for concert photography, where any superzoom is far too slow. So I'd be giving up an incredibly useful part of the kit lens range in exchange for a telephoto range I'll use only a fraction as often. Even if you offered to *pay* me $60, I wouldn't find this a worthwhile tradeoff. I'd be carrying the 18-55 anyhow and using it more often than the 28-200. Making the 28-200 just an overly big and heavy occasional-use telephoto lens. A DA50-200 or Tamron 70-300 would make far mpre sense to me, and if they are slightly more expensive, it would be worth it to me.

But for someone who, after examining the Exif of their own photos as I have done for mine, finds they really do shoot telephoto more than wide angle (this would be rare), then indeed a 28-200 could make sense as a primary lens, I'll acknowledge.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 10-08-2011 at 09:53 AM.