Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What should I get next?

It's been almost a year since I got my last lens the DA35mm f2.4 and now it's time to get a new one. I have been looking at three different lenses based on the fact that I usually shoot in the 24mm - 100mm range. I have a budget so I can't purchase anything super expensive. The three options are: FA50mm f1.4, DA70mm f2.4 limited and then a zoom, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 which is a full format lens.
The FA50 would be nice because of the speed and DOF but I tend to shoot more in the 70s range than 50s. On the other hand if I'd own the 50mm maybe I would learn to shoot more in that range?
The DA70mm is a limited lens and I don't own one yet. I also like the focal length and tend to shoot a lot in the 70-100mm range with my Tamron 70-300mm lens when I'm outside.
The zoom lens would give me versatility however and it's useful inside too being quite fast and having it's focal length starting at 28mm. I have been told it's pretty sharp lens as well?

These three cost about the same, the limited lens being a bit more expensive however.

So what should I get? Is there another lens that could suit me that I haven't mentioned?

10-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Tamron 28-75 is very versatile. The DA70 is legendary. The FA50 performs beyond the capacity of slower lenses -- it's my must-get-the-shot lens. All have superb optics. This is a tough choice. What would you mostly be shooting? If we compare these as portrait lenses: I think the DA70 is preferred for headshot portraiture. The FA50 is great for 1/2-body portraits, and of course for action, lower light, DOF control, and a softer look wide-open. The Tamron would work well for everything from small group shots to headshots.

The choice would thus be between flexability, speed, and character. What do you need most?
10-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say go with the 70. You like the FOV, it's a great lens and it's so small & light. It would make great pair with DA35/2.4 IMO. So you'd have nice light 2 lens kit. The 50s are plentiful and if you'll feel later on you want one it won't be a problem to get one.

my2p
10-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
agreed, you like 70mm so might as well go for the best lens for that focal length. The fact that you have the 35 to compliment it makes a really nice pair to shoot with. If you don't like a focal range, owning a lens in that range doesnt guarantee that you'll like it any more

10-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Since I purchased the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens, my DA 70 is seeing 'limited' use...

Basically I use the Tamron if I think I will be doing a lot of indoor or wider angle shots and the Pentax 50-135 for event and sports. The prime lenses are not being used much these days...But that is an individual preference and based on the things I like to shoot.
10-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Tough one Because you like to shoot in the 70-100 range, the Ltd and the zoom are the obvious candidates.

Possible alternatives might be a sigma 70mm macro or 105mm macro, a tamron 90mm macro and the dfa100 (wr) macro. They are in your favorite range and add macro functionality in case it is of possible interest. Sometimes a bit cheaper like sigma 70mm US$500 and tamron 90mm US$460 (prices bh photo/video). All are well regarded.

I have the FA31Ltd and the DFA100WR and basically nothing in between; I sometimes feel that the gap between the two is a bit big but you might feel different about that.
10-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Had a 28-75, but rarely used it (have a 40 and 70). Nice IQ. Not quite wide enough to be a single walk-around. Sold it a couple weeks ago, got a 17-70 instead.

50 f1.4. Got it because "you just have to have a a fast fifty". Turns out I didn't. I don't do low-light very much, and the advantage of the large aperture means very thin focus and lower IQ that can be nice, or problematic. Recently sold it.

Have the 70 which has great IQ, and is relatively small.

Last edited by SpecialK; 10-17-2011 at 10:59 AM.
10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get the 50-135 and then save up for a weather sealed body, given your location.
10-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Get the 50-135 and then save up for a weather sealed body, given your location.
Heh... thanks for your help

I'd love to own the 50-135 but it's just too expensive, as is K-5.
Weather can be quite harsh here in Finland though, agree on that.

I shoot my two daughters (3yrs and 1yr) a lot so portraits is one of the main things for me. I have my cousin's wedding coming up soon too and I'm starting to lean towards the 70 limited. Is it fast enough for shooting inside church? I hope so.

Wide angle is next on the list (been using my kit lens for that). But I probably wait another year until I can get that.
10-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMan Quote
Heh... thanks for your help
Yeah, it was not much of a help. But it would cover most of the range and with good IQ.
Hell, sell the firstborn. (Just kidding).
10-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA 10-17? Fisheye is a blast with kids or dogs.
10-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
DA 10-17? Fisheye is a blast with kids or dogs.
Indeed it is. And with cats. But not fish. Anyway, it's fun for crawling along the ground, indoors or out. Too bad it's not WR.
10-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Forum Member

I would vote for the DA 70 as well. It is simply an amazing lens - excellent portraits, magnificent bokeh, etc.

Another advantage is how small and light it is. If you shoot a lot in the 70mm range, it is a can't miss lens. Only downside is it is obviously not as versatile as a zoom...but I only shoot primes...
10-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If I could only have one lens it would be the tamron. It is really great, like bringing 3 primes all at once. It is great at 70 too. It is pretty heavy though, and the limiteds produce amazing colors. What if you bought the 70mm and a vintage manual 50 that has a larger aperture. You could get one for as little as $25.
10-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #15

Original Poster
Cheap manual 50 seems like a good purchase. I may not use it that much (so cheap is good) but I might need one really fast lens (because of DOF etc).
I'm still in between the DA70mm and Tamron. You who own this Tamron, how sharp is it wide open? Is it useful enough or is it a case of always stopping it down to 4 which seems bit too slow for me?