Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #1

Pentax SMC 100-300mm f4.5-5.6

This was a part of the kit with my first Pentax, a lovely MZ-50

I used the lense a lot with that camera, but I just dont seem to get the hang of it with my istDs To dark, blurry...... does anyone here uses this lense with a dslr? Or have any tip?

12-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

If it's the SMC-F, it's a decent lens. It would only be "dark" or "blurry" if you underexposed, used too slow of a shutter speed, or focused on the wrong thing. Why don't you show us an example and tell us what settings/mode you used and we can help you out.

I had one with my *ist DS (bought used off of eBay), and I liked that it was all internal focusing and zoom. I sold it to a friend who has been very happy with it as well.
12-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Karl,

I have used this very lens with my *ist DS for almost two years. Most of my shots are taken at 300mm and on a monopod; wide open with shutter speeds that are typically 1/500 or faster. I try to avoid ISO settings higher than 400. Some post processing is done to boost sharpness and contrast.

Below is a link to photos that I have taken with this setup (all except these three were taken with it...american crow, fiery skipper and whitetail deer).

Good luck!

Redhawk Gallery
12-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice collection gordon, welcome to the forum by the way

12-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UplandGame Quote
Karl,

I have used this very lens with my *ist DS for almost two years. Most of my shots are taken at 300mm and on a monopod; wide open with shutter speeds that are typically 1/500 or faster. I try to avoid ISO settings higher than 400. Some post processing is done to boost sharpness and contrast.

Below is a link to photos that I have taken with this setup (all except these three were taken with it...american crow, fiery skipper and whitetail deer).

Good luck!

Redhawk Gallery
Well, that kinda slaps me in the face with facts now doesnt it. Its not the lense, its me

Good to know, I will see if I cant get some testshots out here.

Gordon-do you handhold when shooting with this?
12-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #6

Original Poster

ISO 200
1/90s
Focal length 300mm
F-number 8

Looks like I missed the focuspoint a bit here, the straw looks kinda good

ISO 200
F-number 5.6
Focal length-240mm
1/30s
12-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #7

Karl,

Thanks for sharing your examples. You have some challenging lighting for wildlife in these pictures, not to mention the high contrast subject. 1/90 and 1/30 shutter speeds are on the slow side, even with a monopod (which I use for 90 percent of my shots). My hand held shots do need shutter speeds that are 1/500 or faster. In general, I aim to shoot at 1/500 or faster with a monopod; sometimes that means bumping the ISO to 400 or 800.

The good news is, it looks like you are able to get reasonably close to your subjects at 300mm. Get the sun behind you in the first few hours in the morning or last few in the evening and you are likely to get some fine wildlife shots (if you live at a higher latitute, then this may not be applicable advice). Always make sure the eye is in focus. Always make sure that that the lighting is such that you get that sparkle in their eye (this can make or break the shot).

As I stated above, this lens does require that I do some post processing. This lens doesn't compare to many of the longer focal length lenses that you read about in this forum; it's results are relatively soft and low in contrast by comparison. But for the $$$ that it is worth, its not a bad lens. Post processing typically includes a curves or brightness/contrast adjustment, saturation adjustment and sharpening.

Cheers!
12-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for a very helpful answer. I will try again wgen the light is better and post again.

PS: I didnt mention it but these pictures are of course straight from the camera, no ps work.

12-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #9

Your welcome.

Tom, thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by UplandGame; 12-09-2007 at 08:33 AM.