Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I stay away from DA 12-24 because of SDM issue and end up with Sigma 10-20/3.5, which give me good coverage & exposure control in dark interior. However, both of my Sigma zooms (18-250 & 10-20) didn't work with pTTL on K-r, k-7 or K-5!
The 12-24 doesn't have SDM.

10-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
What is your feeling about the filter issue with this lens? If that weren't an issue I'm pretty sure this would be my selection, but because of it I am still trying to decide between the 8-16, the 10-20 (1st version), the DA15 and the DA12-24.

Beautiful shots by the way! But what about when the sky comes into the shot?

I always use filters on film cameras. I seldom use them on digital cameras. I mayy use a CPL to kill a problem reflection [not needed to increase color saturation, as PP does that easily] or an ND to slow the shutter, but that's about it. CPL's are a problem with ultrawides, because of uneven effect. If I need an ND with the 8-16mm, I hold a large gel over the lens. For protection, I recap whenever I move the camera.
10-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I always use filters on film cameras. I seldom use them on digital cameras. I mayy use a CPL to kill a problem reflection [not needed to increase color saturation, as PP does that easily] or an ND to slow the shutter, but that's about it. CPL's are a problem with ultrawides, because of uneven effect. If I need an ND with the 8-16mm, I hold a large gel over the lens. For protection, I recap whenever I move the camera.
Thanks. Yeah I wasn't worried about CPLs for the lens, rather graduated ND's for landscapes. I'm not much of a landscape taker at the moment, but that's one of the things I was hoping to use the 8-16 for. I also have the 18-55 and the sigma 24 for landscapes though, and they take smaller filters. I am really interested in the 8-16 for the up close distortion effects, something I couldn't really do with the DA15.
10-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Thanks. Yeah I wasn't worried about CPLs for the lens, rather graduated ND's for landscapes. I'm not much of a landscape taker at the moment, but that's one of the things I was hoping to use the 8-16 for. I also have the 18-55 and the sigma 24 for landscapes though, and they take smaller filters. I am really interested in the 8-16 for the up close distortion effects, something I couldn't really do with the DA15.
The sigma 24 is a nice lens. It's one of the reasons I did not get the DA12-24.

I'm sure something can be rigged up with a large Cokin filter holder to use graduated ND filters [and I may do that], but I can often use multi-image HDR when the dnamic range is too high.

10-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Also, the optical effect of an ND gel [besides absorbing light] is negligible. It's possible to use an ND gel over part of an image without image degradation. It is not necessary to hold it exactly parallel to the image plane, either. Just do not go too strong - about 2 stops is as far as I would.